No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-23, 12:54pm
Type ZZZ personality

Default Cleaning PVC pipe

I made a great lighting rig for my show set up out of PVC. But that nasty black printing on the pipe is annoying me. Is there some kind of cleaner that will take it off?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2008-03-23, 12:57pm

not sure about cleaning the writing off....but you can paint it!

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2008-03-23, 1:08pm
Borovangelist

I think the cleaner you use before the cement takes the stuff off, but be forewarned you'll want some serious ventilation.

|
|
Old 2008-03-23, 1:17pm
I speak Murrini!

I used a sanding block - you know, the "sponge" thingie you can get that has sandpaper on all four sides! A few swipes and away goes the writing - I really don't know why I cared so much...I'm not cementing it and it's just sitting in a crate rack in the dirty 'ol garage! I just I'm just a bit of a neat freak!!!

I found it worked great!

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-03-23, 1:47pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

"Goof off" works well

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2008-03-23, 2:07pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Parkinson View Post
"Goof off" works well
Hey, are you copying from my resume - AGAIN? JK!!!! What's this great stuff and where do you get it?

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2008-03-24 at 9:40am.
Old 2008-03-23, 2:24pm
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Hey, are you copying from me resume - AGAIN? JK!!!! What's this great stuff and where do you get it?

DeAnne in CA
hmmm maybe

I got it from Canadian Tire but its available at Home depot.

It disolves just about every thing glue like it takes the glue residue off that price stickers leave and I've used it to take tar off laminate flooring, and take dried latex paint off just about everything.

Just test it before you use it, it will melt some plastics. It did work well to remove the lettering from the vacum tubing pvc I use for glass storage.

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2008-03-23, 2:31pm

Goo gone.....

Also, toothpaste might work as well, I know it works for taking off black indelible markers of countertops, etc...
Sherena

Old 2008-03-23, 2:52pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherena View Post
Also, toothpaste might work as well, I know it works for taking off black indelible markers of countertops, etc...
Hmmph, there's my something new for the day, thanks!

|
|
Old 2008-03-23, 3:33pm

It's really cool when things like that work, and it does. Need to clean silver without having to polish it?? lol I have lots of household hints like that stored in my head...not sure how they got in there, but they do come in useful sometimes.
Sherena

Old 2008-03-23, 6:02pm
Type ZZZ personality

I tied Goo Gone and it didn't work. But I'll try the toothpaste.

I thought about painting it and still might, but I'm concerned that it will get scratched up from being assembled/disassembled and carted around.

Old 2008-03-23, 6:29pm
Borovangelist

Krylon makes a paint specifically designed for plastic. For example you can paint over a nasty patio chair with it and it's good as new. You might consider that if you go the paint route. Just be careful to do it outside because the paint is laced with polymer's (aka plastic) to make it work and isn't something you want in your lungs!

|
|
Old 2008-03-23, 6:29pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Try nail polish remover (acetone with oily base) ..... Most solvents like acetone and paint thinner or lacquer thinner will work, but it may also etch the PVC and cause you more grief.... Work on trial piece to see how it reacts before trying anything on "finished" work....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-03-23, 11:55pm
Type ZZZ personality

I bought a can of the plastic paint, but again I'm concerned about scratching with use.

I will try the nail polish remover thing. I don't think I care if it's a little etched.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 2008-03-24, 9:36am
Gentleman of Leisure

Generally the printing on PVC pipe is just a "ink" process its much like ink jet printing done by printer connected to you computer. Its just a matter finding the correct solvent that "cuts" the ink but does not hurt underlying PVC....

Dale

Old 2008-03-24, 10:47am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Krylon makes a paint specifically designed for plastic. For example you can paint over a nasty patio chair with it and it's good as new. You might consider that if you go the paint route. Just be careful to do it outside because the paint is laced with polymer's (aka plastic) to make it work and isn't something you want in your lungs!
Be careful with this paint. It looks GREAT at first, but does not hold up well. it gets all scratchy fast with just a little friction.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-03-24, 3:45pm

Goof Off will likely work, it'll remove just about anything. It has some pretty strong solvents like xylene, toluene and hexane that are pretty nasty though.

You might try some regular rubbing alcohol and that may do it and it might be something you have around the house.
Old 2008-03-24, 3:48pm
Type ZZZ personality

I've actually never heard of Goof Off. If the stuff I have in the house doesn't work, I'll look for that stuff.

Old 2008-03-24, 9:13pm
Corgi Cult Member

Rubbing alcohol often removes marker off plastic items. Haven't tried it on PVC, but I use it often to remove permanent marker from the plastic containers and toys at school.

Old 2008-03-24, 9:50pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
Be careful with this paint. It looks GREAT at first, but does not hold up well. it gets all scratchy fast with just a little friction.
We've seen some scratching happen on the chairs we did, but the sad thing is they still look better than before we painted hehehehe

|
|
Old 2008-03-24, 10:26pm
Glass-aholic

I tried to make a jewelery rack. Just the travel to the shop and it was too scrached for me to use and look good. I actually think acrylics stay on better! That's not saying much...

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-03-25, 1:50am
a pox upon an idiot :..

If Alcohol doesn't work try the Mr Clean Magic Erasers, these work on everything and won't scratch any surface. You can find them in the cleaner aisle of any grocery store.

I've never used a product that cleans everything so easily!
Old 2008-03-25, 9:04am
Type ZZZ personality

Alcohol -- nope
Goo Gone -- nope
Nail polish remover -- nope

I'll have to go shopping to try anything else...

Old 2008-03-25, 10:34am
Glass-aholic

Spray deordant??
arisol kind? We used to use this for all kinds of stuff like this...

Old 2008-03-25, 12:40pm
Gentleman of Leisure

A lot is going to depend on brand name of manufacturer and type of ink used.... Was experimenting out in shop, funny thing was on piece I was working with several different solvents would not "cut" ink, but "Simple Green" concentrate cleaner would....

Keep trying till you find what works....

dale

Old 2008-03-25, 2:27pm

My husband uses the PVC pipe to make things and he uses acetone straight and often times laquer thinner. The draw back...it does usually make the pipe kind of a matt finish but the printing is gone. Better to try on a small spot first and see if you can live with what it does.
Sharon
Old 2008-03-25, 3:35pm

I tried some acetone(nail polish remover) on a piece today and the ink just wiped right away. Dale could be right about a different ink being used depending on who manufactured the pipe.
If you can't find a chemical that will do it, sandpaper will and depending on the size of lighting rig, stepping down through a couple of the finer grits and a little wetsanding may let you just work on the trouble spots.
Old 2008-03-25, 6:48pm
Glass-aholic

you can try the straight acetone, and clean the matte finish with a clear coat spray or nail polish if it needs to blend in i would think...

Old 2008-03-25, 7:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr View Post
If Alcohol doesn't work try the Mr Clean Magic Erasers, these work on everything and won't scratch any surface. You can find them in the cleaner aisle of any grocery store.

I've never used a product that cleans everything so easily!

The Magic Erasers are probably the best thing ever invented for cleaning. I use them for everything. I have had stains on floors and walls that I could not get off with a dozen different cleaners (kids...), but the Magic Eraser took them right off, with ease!!
Old 2008-03-26, 10:22am

Thanks for the leads, Acetone didn't work so great for me either. I had dh make me two turn tables with PVC. One is for my tools, the other for my glass rods. Having the ability to turn the caddy makes a world of difference in finding my tools. I hate seeing the lettering, so I'm off to Wal-Mart for the Magic Eraser.
Attached Images