No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-03-30, 4:20pm
and your little dog too

Default The New Effetre "Navy Blue'

Has anyone else played with this? I can't get it navy, it's always a dirty faded denim

On the site Frantz says the tester worked hot, I've made a few and this one I worked hot and for awhile trying to get the dark blue they show. I'm disappointed, esp for the price. Plus, it gets scummy like copper green which makes it look dirtier, for me even on small rounds.

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=6619
"New color from Effetre (12.2.13)
Effetre calls this color Blu Navy. We tested this color twice just to make sure it reacted the same. This is a deep dark Prussian blue with darker veining. The more you heat it the darker it can go, so experiment! Our tester used high heat and you can see it has clouds of darker blue-black where the torch was at it's hottest on the bead. This color is truly a new addition to the soft glass palette."

I'm not getting navy or 'deep dark prussian blue' except around the ivory.

..sorry it's so large!

Last edited by elasia; 2014-03-30 at 4:22pm.
Old 2014-03-30, 4:38pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I love the color you got much better than the navy. Of course, I would be dissappointed too if I didn't get anywhere near the sample picture they posted. I wouldn't be interested in the dark navy color, but would love to buy if I got color like you.

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-03-30, 4:41pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

THe dirty portions can be removed from your bead. Just dunk it in acid etch for a second. With a gloved hand rub the bead while the acid etch is on it and you will see the dirt come off. It will not etch the bead with this short of a time. Rinse the bead off under running water. I use dish soap too when cleaning it off.

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-03-30, 4:51pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
I love the color you got much better than the navy. Of course, I would be disappointed too if I didn't get anywhere near the sample picture they posted. I wouldn't be interested in the dark navy color, but would love to buy if I got color like you.
Agreed!
Old 2014-03-30, 5:46pm
Slogan Challenged...

Still a nice color but I would want that navy color too. Hopefully someone has tried it.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-03-30, 7:37pm
Senior Moment

Is it possible they sent the wrong color? I read a post on Frit-Happens regarding Navy, and it's a much darker color there, even encased: http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/...hp?topic=43869

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-03-30, 10:57pm
and your little dog too

Wow, it does look dark by their bead holes. I almost wonder looking at the larger photo again on a different monitor now if their flame wasn't a bit reducing. The darker bits looks like reduction. I'll give that a try. Actually now that I think of it most of the newer colors looked dirty, so maybe. The new lilac looks like dirty pink lol. http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....&keyword=lilac

It is a nice color either way, not at 10. + a 1/4lb though!
Old 2014-03-30, 11:12pm
Slogan Challenged...

Ack, yeah, many are so pricey now. I miss Vetrofond. I've been ambivalent about those lilacs, I generally like the color but I'm not sure how they turn out when you work them - dirty is a good way to put it. Have you tried those?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-03-31, 7:02pm
Senior Moment

Ugh. I'm not fond of most of Effetre's new colors. Some of them look horrible to me; the Lilacs, Grigio Verde, Moss Green, Lizard and the worst (IMHO) 50 Shades of Baby Poo. It's like they had bunch of leftover glass in the bottom of the vats and instead of clearing them out and starting fresh, they just dumped them together and crossed their fingers we would buy whatever came out.

Yes, I realize that's how some of our fav Odds were made, but whatever they were doing then they aren't doing that now. Look at Amber Rose or Tequila Sunrise; I believe both were whoopsies, but both were beautiful as well.

Let us know if the reduction flame works!
Alli

Old 2014-03-31, 11:05pm
and your little dog too

that made me laugh though, the bottom of the vats.

I was thinking on this again lol, I really think the tester works in a reducing flame. I thought of a couple other colors that 'caught' some, what we were getting was different. One was Marmorin, I can't remember the other atm.
http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=5171

You can see it was reduced, we get poo, one of many threads on this color http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...light=Marmorin

I did not buy any of the lilacs, I'm not into pink so much, and it looks like pink to me. Plus price, I was really debating on this blue but figured I really wanted a dark blue heh

off to the torch to reduce some of this navy, I will be back with updates

Old 2014-04-01, 6:43pm
Senior Moment

*waiting*

Old 2014-04-03, 6:43am

Ack, so sad! I was looking forward to trying some of the navy blue. It's still pretty, but not dark like I was hoping for.

Old 2014-04-03, 6:53am
Slogan Challenged...

Do we have any results, yet? Anyone?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-04-04, 7:06am
sunscreen me baby

I tried it and it's not Navy. Mine came out a little darker than OP's and looks like a bluer version of the old Vetrofond Slate Blue odd.

~

Old 2014-04-04, 7:50am
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Ugh. I'm not fond of most of Effetre's new colors. Some of them look horrible to me; the Lilacs, Grigio Verde, Moss Green, Lizard and the worst (IMHO) 50 Shades of Baby Poo. It's like they had bunch of leftover glass in the bottom of the vats and instead of clearing them out and starting fresh, they just dumped them together and crossed their fingers we would buy whatever came out.
My feeling exactly, except they don't have to cross their fingers because they know we'll buy them

And ditto on the Navy blue, for me it's close to CIM blue steel ltd run, but streakier and with copper green oxidization. Probably not buying more until a few months when I discover something awesome about it and it's all gone. Story of my life.

Old 2014-04-05, 9:38am

Frantz now has a "try before you buy" program that's great. They'll send you two rods of your choice with your order so you can try them out before investing.

Toni
Old 2014-04-05, 9:48am
Slogan Challenged...

Thanks for the feedback

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-04-05, 10:36am
Glass Addict

Are you sure that's Navy?? It looks like Kabluey....

Oh... and I love the Navy Blue... so if any of you want to sell yours... PM me

Old 2014-04-08, 7:15pm
and your little dog too

^pics? It is indeed Navy. Or marked as such. Kabluey is much streakier imo, and half the price

Sorry guys, I kept forgetting to do this lol.

Here's one I did in a reduction flame...it's wonky but the bead release broke. Meh anyways, it turns a cool brown, but not why I was thinking their test bead was dark. The very top bit is just neutral flame, the bit in the middle that is darker is from a masher. (I suspect the red streak is leftover on the rod from the reduction on the bottom part)
Attached Images

Old 2014-04-10, 7:30am
addicted to dichro

It sounds more like the blue version of copper green. So far I've only gotten denim blue from it, nothing dark blue like what I was expecting. I love both of those beads and the color you got elasia, even if it is nothing like "navy" blue. It's think it's still a really nice glass just kind of annoying to have it turn out to be something entirely different than what was expected.

Old 2014-05-03, 2:59pm
and your little dog too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilegoddess View Post
Are you sure that's Navy?? It looks like Kabluey....

Oh... and I love the Navy Blue... so if any of you want to sell yours... PM me
Ugh, I bought ka-bluey, it's the exact same
If you're Navy Blue is different can you post a pic?

Old 2014-05-06, 9:13pm
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I tried it and it's not Navy. Mine came out a little darker than OP's and looks like a bluer version of the old Vetrofond Slate Blue odd.
this has been my experience too...

nagi