Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-04-08, 10:48pm
don't burn your fingers!

Default Beautiful work everyone!

Brent, Those colors are poppin! Love em!
Batwoman sculpture/pendant, nice!
everyone else, great work! I am posting a quick picture of some of my stuff. Hope you guys like it! I am pretty new to glass. Just signed up for my first website tonight (this one!)!! okay, I will post pictures later, It didn't work due to software issues.
Old 2009-04-09, 8:27am

anyone make something of winter sun???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-04-09, 8:30am
Gay rights R human rights

I have some coming Kay but not here yet

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2009-04-09, 8:35am

show it off when you can... It is looking gorgeous as the rod... I can see some of Pipyr's trees out of this.... Bet they would look pretty.

Old 2009-04-10, 12:17am
Old Time Bead Maker

Default Winter Sun

Just got a pound yesterday and hope we get to play with it this weekend.
The rods are crystal clear though. Does someone else have something else in rod form???

Dave and Sue

This us as close to a web site as I want to get at the moment...
Old 2009-04-11, 3:04am

As far as I know Winter Sun is clear in rod form and you have to strike it. It will kiln strike as well. If you want that ethereal look like Pipyr's trees you have to thin it out over clear other wise it is fairly opaque.
Old 2009-04-12, 1:46am
Old Time Bead Maker

Hi again,
We got to play today. Wintersun is so cool....reduce it and you can get the opaly look, golden as if it were fumed....
Neat glass and we're just getting started...

More later...
Dave and Sue

This us as close to a web site as I want to get at the moment...
Old 2009-04-17, 9:06pm
Resident Luny

you guys are amazing. I am about to try boro and I am so lost.... over, encased, mixing....even though it is still glass, it just FEELS different here. I'm freaked!

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2009-04-18, 6:18am
Bliss Junkie

you have to work it HOT... so very different... just play with simple pendants to get the use to the fell...

welcome to the dark side...

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2009-04-18, 7:03am

Don't be skert.... I started making beads with some free samples and got hooked. I had no idea what I was doing. I knew nothing about striking colors but encasing. When I encased some silvered frits, like Blue Carmel, I got some gorgeous glitters because the glass silvered (reduced) as I encased. It was a WOW moment totally by accident. I was hooked.

What I have learned that that is the most important, work hotter than soft glass (burn the haze off the tip of the rod as you apply, for truer colors) and for some dramatic results, try some silvered colors with just clear frit. Clear is boro's best friend. And deep encasing really glorifies your colors. I hardly ever use the color by itself.

Just cut loose!!

Old 2009-04-18, 9:06am
No Problem!

It can actually be a nice change up from soft glass. Aggressive heating is fun after babying the soft glass, like Kay and Shawn saiddon't be shy with the heat, in most cases you're going to work just above the cones of your torch flame in the hottest part, save for the opaque crayon colors that you'll work farther out to keep from boiling them.
The other thing you'll notice is that boro has a much more narrow "working range". Softer glasses stay fluid and workable much longer where the boro will always be requesting more heat to stay in motion... You will have smaller windows to move glass outside of the flame.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-04-18, 9:28am
Pyromaniac

Soft is much scarier! You can beat up boro -- don't be afraid.
Come to the dark side, we have cookies.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2009-04-18, 6:53pm
Mandrel Slayer

And we don't get hot glass chunks spit at us.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2009-04-20, 11:56pm
don't burn your fingers!

Default Show and tell

Hi there, Just joined the site! I was going to post a few photos of my work, but the program didnt work last time. Here goes another try... The pendants are actually smooth and round, I just can't use the editing program very well yet!! I will learn!! Let me know what you guys think of my stuff.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 2009-04-22, 10:46am

Scout,

Are you THE Scout that I know?

Vanessa
Old 2009-04-22, 11:08pm
don't burn your fingers!

Yep, that's meee! I finally come over to "the dark side". And I love it!! This site rocks!
Hi Vanessa!