No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-06, 12:53pm
Angie09

Default Can someone please help me identify this shard

I purchased this bead in hopes of being able to distinguish what the shard color was once I had it in my hand. (The person who made it doesn't seem to want to tell me what she used) but I don't seem to find that color at Avenue Beads or at DH. Any ideas???? Thanks in advance!!!

Old 2012-02-06, 1:19pm
Loving learning

Maybe she/he made the shard? If so, they might be keeping it to themselves for a while anyway. Do you think it's silver glass?
Old 2012-02-06, 1:23pm
Angie09

I don't think she made it as I've seen similar before ... as for it being silver, it has a shine but I just don't know. I thought maybe it was Psyche but it's got a deep red/magenta on the back side.
Old 2012-02-06, 1:40pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

I'll bet they made it themselves and don't feel ready to give away their research.
Old 2012-02-06, 1:42pm
Angie09

I wish she would have just said so ... would have saved me the cost of the bead!!! LOL
Old 2012-02-06, 2:48pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

I agree, although as a seller it's kind of uncomfortable when someone asks for a color/combo/formula....I'm always torn between being nice or giving away something that I don't want to.
Of course, no one asks for something that's not selling well, or that I don't care about, lol.
Old 2012-02-06, 3:30pm
burnin' glass just becuz

why not just experiment and see what you come up with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-02-06, 3:36pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
why not just experiment and see what you come up with?
I don't blow glass so experimenting isn't an option. I was just hoping someone knew what the magenta/purple shards might be. I could use the color(s) in several projects I am doing.
Old 2012-02-06, 3:45pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
I don't blow glass so experimenting isn't an option. I was just hoping someone knew what the magenta/purple shards might be. I could use the color(s) in several projects I am doing.
do you have a torch? if yes, you can make shards. they're fairly easy to make - here's a tut explaining how: http://www.glassgirl.com/shards.html

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-02-08, 1:57pm
Artistically Absorbed

My bet would be shards of Kalypso, from other beads I have seen with a similar color, but that is just a guess.
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-02-08, 2:11pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
My bet would be shards of Kalypso, from other beads I have seen with a similar color, but that is just a guess.
-Echo
Hummm...Kalypso shards. Guess I'll go exploring and see where I can find some. Thanks Echo!!
Old 2012-02-08, 2:36pm
Artistically Absorbed

I'm not sure any are premade, you may have to make your own. Again it is just a guess that it is Kalypso. The wine colored strike with the light blue haze remind me of that glass. Good Luck Angie!
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2012-02-11, 8:50am
Life is change. Love it

I would try fire lotus from TAG

Old 2012-02-11, 10:17am
Fancy Mammal

Hi Angie,

When I received the note thanking me for the quick shipping and asking me the shard used in the bead, I admit I was thrown for a loop. I have been thinking about my policy on sharing my techniques and materials since then - and have come to the decision that I am not comfortable sharing that portion of my work with bead sales. That kind of information would go into a tutorial, if I ever decide to create one.

In the meantime, please contact me through Etsy if you would like my address to return the bead!

Best,
Shelby
Old 2012-02-11, 10:49am
Angie09

Hi Shelby,

Nice to hear from you! All you had to do was tell me this when I emailed you and the search (and this thread) would never have happened. I am not trying to steal information ... I merely wondered if this is an "over the counter" shard that was out there. That's all! I understand wanting to keep secret techniques that make your beads unusual ... however, several people on LE and elsewhere are happy to share so I didn't think there was any harm in asking. Sorry if I offended you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisgal View Post
Hi Angie,

When I received the note thanking me for the quick shipping and asking me the shard used in the bead, I admit I was thrown for a loop. I have been thinking about my policy on sharing my techniques and materials since then - and have come to the decision that I am not comfortable sharing that portion of my work with bead sales. That kind of information would go into a tutorial, if I ever decide to create one.

In the meantime, please contact me through Etsy if you would like my address to return the bead!

Best,
Shelby
Old 2012-02-11, 11:32am
Fancy Mammal

I didn't have the answer when the question was asked, it took me a while to figure out what made the most sense for me. When I figured it out, this seemed like the best place to answer your question

No harm, no foul
Old 2012-02-11, 11:33am

Would Shelby be willing to sell just the shards? That might be a compromise for both of you?

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2012-02-11, 6:27pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

I think that when a person comes up with a particular color combo or "custom mix" it is kinda their right to keep it a secret. I know that is a hard one to hear but I know that I have had some great colors that I have decided to share that I have handmixed only to have another artist take the credit later on- (will not name names) I was to say the least a bit perturbed but I realized I took the risk sharing and paid the price. Needless to say I still think the bead is beautiful and worth hanging to- who knows with your own practice and diligence you just might figure it out and will have the bead as a reference! If not you have a gorgeous bead to make into a pendant! Barbara has made a great point- buying the shards is a good way to get the effect/color you want without Shelby divulging any secrets! HUGS