LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2013-05-06, 10:56am
Storm Queen

I'm waiting to see what everyone else gets because mine turned an ugly terracotta no matter what I did. My frit wouldn't keep any purple even with an Effetre transparent base. I used Z99 I bought straight from Val, then I ground up some Gaffer Purple Rose and tried that. I must be doing something wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:05am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Amy, too much heat. This process shouldn't take longer than a few minutes - 4 minute tops. Put it in a cooler part of the flame. I consistently get purple from Z99 no matter how I use it. Even the Gaffer should still be purple. Weird.

Post a pic for me.

Last edited by *Naos*; 2013-05-06 at 11:10am.
Old 2013-05-06, 11:09am
Certified Glassaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
I'd love to see them! Are you going to etch them or keep them shiny?
I think I'm going to etch. I need to buy some dip etch stuff. All I have is the etching cream and that's on its last legs. I wish the craft stores around me carried the solution but so far no luck. May just have to order it online.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:13am
Certified Glassaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I'm waiting to see what everyone else gets because mine turned an ugly terracotta no matter what I did. My frit wouldn't keep any purple even with an Effetre transparent base. I used Z99 I bought straight from Val, then I ground up some Gaffer Purple Rose and tried that. I must be doing something wrong.

Mine turned out all brown as well. I didn't think I overheated...just enough to melt stuff in but every single bead turned brown. That was a wasted torching session....wasted silver too. Damn.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:13am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Please post pics so I can see this please!

Old 2013-05-06, 11:17am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Ok Amy PM'd me a pic and too much Z99 on there... it has to be a sprinkle...and I mean light coverage. You're just looking for some of it to be here and there, not coating the bead.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:17am
Storm Queen

If you insist...

That's just a quickie picture. I'm glad it's not just me Yee...although I actually wish it was just me. I'm only on a minor but I did heat each bead up pretty good. I could try melting it in as cool as possible and see what happens.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:20am
Certified Glassaholic!

My sad beads....no color at all. All different types of bases, some opaque, some transparent.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:21am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Amy, the silver looks great though! You got the melting in...that might be causing some of it, too. Silver fumes the Z99 so you have to back off a little and just do that at the edge of the flame, not fully in the flame until the very last bit of shaping.

For everybody: Everything should still be slightly raised before the final shaping - the frit shouldn't be melted in all the way when you roll it over the foil. The final shaping finishes off the melt.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:21am
Storm Queen

The only one that has a lot of frit is the top left one. The others had just a sprinkle and the bottom left one just had a couple of pieces.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:22am
Certified Glassaholic!

OK...I probably had the same problem with overuse of the purple then. Really didn't seem like that much.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:23am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post

My sad beads....no color at all. All different types of bases, some opaque, some transparent.
Can I see the copper green a little better?

Last edited by *Naos*; 2013-05-06 at 2:43pm.
Old 2013-05-06, 11:24am
Storm Queen

I'll try again and just use some Effetre for the base, a light sprinkle of frit and melt it in really gently in a cool flame.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:25am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
The only one that has a lot of frit is the top left one. The others had just a sprinkle and the bottom left one just had a couple of pieces.
It's got to be heat then because it spread too far... here's mine - there is always some rust tones but not that much:

Also, it does have to be Size 0 frit...powder with a few .5mm chunks in it.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:32am
Storm Queen

I actually put my frit in a coffee grinder to make it smaller so I'll pick out just the small pieces. The reason I heated more though is because if I didn't, the frit was all white and ugly from the devit. In order to burn that off I had to give it a good heating so I'm not sure what I'll get without that.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:45am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Here it is on transparents I have used...

I used a lot of frit on the last set, some brown there for sure.
Attached Images

Last edited by *Naos*; 2013-05-06 at 11:47am.
Old 2013-05-06, 11:53am
Storm Queen

I'm using the recipe from page 12 and I think Yee is too.

Old 2013-05-06, 11:55am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

The last photos I posted are from that recipe. The final set shown (Lavish Garden) has too much frit on it and the colors aren't as bright as they normally are in other sets I make for that style. I've been trolling LE, Etsy and other venues looking at pics of beads with Gaffer Purple Rose and Z99 in combination with silver and I'm seeing a lot of Z99 keeping it's color, like it does for me.

I will dig deeper and see if I can figure it out. Looks like the silver might be fuming the frit in an oxygen/propane environment so I have someone experimenting for me to see what the best mix might be and if there's a solution. Hang tight. We'll get it worked out. So far, this is only a problem with no enamel and transparents recipe but not with the enamel and opaque base combo.

Last edited by *Naos*; 2013-05-06 at 1:39pm.
Old 2013-05-06, 1:00pm
I think I could be a bead

I'm saving up for this tutorial. I think my next Etsy sale will do it!!!

Old 2013-05-06, 1:31pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Thanks, Mallory!

Old 2013-05-06, 3:16pm
Fried Cat

It won't be annealed... But let me go try quickly and give a third result from Amy and Yee.
Old 2013-05-06, 3:21pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Donna @ the Mandrel got it to work (she didn't get the brown stuff as far as she could see - she had purple and silver for sure) so she was going to post in here tomorrow about it if they come out of the kiln ok.

Last edited by *Naos*; 2013-05-06 at 3:27pm.
Old 2013-05-06, 3:40pm
Fried Cat

Ok Amber, breathe...

I got exactly what you show except for one.

Using opaque with enamels first recipe - if you melt the frit flat before the foil, it will turn solid rust, no purple. I used G199-purple rose here.

Doing the same as above, using G114 except not melting frit in at all, just heating enough to attach well... It was a combination of purple and rust.
Old 2013-05-06, 3:42pm
Fried Cat

Now.... What is frit happens purpur??? Ahh. Purpur.

Old 2013-05-06, 3:45pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Thanks, Shardi! You're right - Nothing should be melted flat until the final shaping in the flame.

Old 2013-05-06, 3:52pm
Fried Cat

I noticed that even if the frit melts in from ambient heat, it'll cause rust.

I think part of Amber's reaction is based on the center of the frit melting outward. So in a way it's not touching the silver and after melting the silver it, it would only get a light fuming as the center goodness spreads out.
Old 2013-05-06, 3:57pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Heck, even *I* didn't think of that, Shardi. But you're right. I'll often get a little dot of silver right in the middle of the frit dot but the rest is purple murple.

Old 2013-05-06, 4:17pm
Fried Cat

I think that's why keeping the frit intact so to speak, makes the difference.

Once it melts flat before you introduce the silver foil, you will not achieve your look.
Old 2013-05-06, 4:51pm
Storm Queen

My frit was raised when I put the foil on it.

Old 2013-05-06, 5:03pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

We'll get it figured out, Amy! It's kind of like when I couldn't get the webbing technique to work on my HH.

Tags
hot head tut, hothead friendly, hothead tutorial, lampwork tutorial, lily pad gardens, naos glass, success!