Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-02-09, 5:07pm

YEEHAW!!!!!! I got the call and mine shipped today!!! I can't wait!! I got the 4 stud and will use a foot pedal for the outer flame. I have an EX15 oxycon which is what I tested it with at the Gathering and it seemed great. Can't wait to play!! You who have got yours already, keep us posted as you play, please?????!!!!!!
Mary T.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-09, 6:13pm
I need more boro stuff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtarara View Post
You who have got yours already, keep us posted as you play, please?????!!!!!!
Mary T.
And you guys are playing, do you mind to make comparisons between scorpion - cheetah and scorpion - lynx please?
Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-10, 3:51pm
DSDWC

WaHooooooo!!!!
Mine is on its way!!

Old 2010-02-10, 5:31pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Very cool mtatara, how long did it take to get yours. I ordered a cricket the last week in October 2009 and still haven't heard anything, they keep telling me it will be here soon. If they wern't so nice whenever I call I'd be upset. I'm sure they are making them as fast as they can, I talked to Wally a few days ago, what a great guy.
Old 2010-02-10, 7:04pm

Hooray, Trey! What color did you get?

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-02-10, 8:31pm

UPS called and mine is being delivered tomorrow! Wahoo!!

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2010-02-11, 7:32am
DSDWC

The Standard GTT color. Stainless and Iodized purple.
Sure wish it would get here!

Old 2010-02-11, 8:12am
Certified Glassaholic!

Pam,

I'm so loving the color of your torch! Suffering from serious torch envy

-Yee

Old 2010-02-11, 9:25am
balanced but asymmetrical

Any foot pedal suggestions/recommendations?

Old 2010-02-11, 9:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gila View Post
Any foot pedal suggestions/recommendations?
With the low gas and oxygen pressures that the Scorpion uses, an electric pedal would be better than a mechanical pedal.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-02-11, 10:25am

Thanks, Yee. When I saw them at the Gathering, I just have to have that one. I have it ALMOST hooked up now. I just need to go to the hardware store and pick up two more clamps and it will be done. Have an eye appointment first today, so don't know if I will get there after, but hopefully by Saturday I will be good to go! Can't wait to PLAY.

Trey, can't wait to hear your thoughts on this torch, no matter the color!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-02-11, 11:52am

Bob, I ordered mine as soon as I got home from last year's Gathering in July.
Mary T.

Old 2010-02-11, 12:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
With the low gas and oxygen pressures that the Scorpion uses, an electric pedal would be better than a mechanical pedal.

Malcolm
Thank you Malcom.
Smutboy or another?

Old 2010-02-11, 12:30pm

Quote:
Thank you Malcom.
Smutboy or another?
(taken out of context, that question is .... interesting ... )

John makes a good pedal. Other makers do too.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2010-02-11, 12:55pm
PyronamixK

Smutboy is a good guy and makes a good electric pedal. Jeff Rogers is also a good guy and makes a good pedal (both mechanical and electric). Scott Griffin is a good guy, too, but I believe his pedals are mechanical.
Old 2010-02-11, 1:10pm

Thanks!

I'm thinking about making one , bzglass posted a Youtube with his efforts and it looks rather straight forward.

Old 2010-02-11, 1:33pm

It's here! Here's a quick pic. Off to do the hook up!

Angela Kane

Old 2010-02-11, 2:35pm
Covered in glitter

Love mine! LOVEITLOVEITLOVEIT!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2010-02-11, 2:44pm
Certified Glassaholic!

Hey Pam,

Is yours the Chameleon Violet Sapphire? I really wish we could see examples of all the colors so that we wouldn't have to guess what's what

-Yee

Old 2010-02-11, 3:25pm

Yee, my guess is that that is the color that I have. It doesn't say on my receipt and Wally just told me it was called Chameleon. Since it looks more Violet than Cherry, I would say that is it.

I finally got it all hooked up this afternoon. Perhaps tomorrow afternoon I can take it out for a spin! Can't wait to start hearing all the firsthand reports.

My Blog
Old 2010-02-11, 3:49pm

Just fired it up and did a wee bit of a comparison with my Bobcat. I use propane and 2 EX-15 oxycons 'Y'-ed together. I set the oxycons at 6 and the propane at 5. Here's how it compared to the Scorpion. Oh, I used a 10mm Simax clear rod and timed how long it took to melt 1" of glass into a gather, using a neutral flame.

Bobcat: 35 secconds
Scorpion - inner fire only: 35 seconds
Scorpion: inner and outer fire: 24 seconds

I've never used a torch with an inner and outer fire and the flame characteristics are a little different than my Bobcat so it will take a little getting used to. My initial impression is that I LOVE it!!

Angela Kane

Last edited by framerak; 2010-02-11 at 3:54pm.
Old 2010-02-11, 4:10pm
He can do the origami

Very nice Miss A.K. Congratulations!!!

Otter
Old 2010-02-11, 4:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Smutboy is a good guy and makes a good electric pedal. Jeff Rogers is also a good guy and makes a good pedal (both mechanical and electric). Scott Griffin is a good guy, too, but I believe his pedals are mechanical.
Scott makes both electric and mechanical. I have one of Scott's electric ones here waiting for when Mary gets her Scorpion

I also saw one of Jeff's in Tucson. It looked very nice.

Quote:
I'm thinking about making one , bzglass posted a Youtube with his efforts and it looks rather straight forward.
They are not too difficult to make. The important thing is to make sure you use quality ($$) parts. Cheap solenoids or valves will leak, stick, and give you all sorts of headaches.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2010-02-11, 7:01pm

Hang on to that pedal Malcolm, hey when do you get your scorpions???!!!
Waiting is so hard!!!
Mary T.

Old 2010-02-11, 10:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtarara View Post
Hang on to that pedal Malcolm, hey when do you get your scorpions???!!!
Spoke to GTT this morning. They said "soon" ...

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2010-02-12, 4:52pm
Flamewoman

Is anyone out there planning on running their Scorpion on a Regalia?
I need some feedback on how well it works on a Regalia, so please, please
post...............................

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-02-12, 6:35pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Hey artcoinc,

They told me "soon" back in December. Oh well, I have a nice oxycon and a glasshive kiln on the way and no torch. Guess I hafta be patient. I'm guessing they only make one type of torch at a time. I just wish they would have told me from the getgo that it would be awhile rather then 3 weeks. I still would have ordered it but wouldn't be so frustrated. I have built a glass room in my basement, ran propane line, built a concrete countertop and ran plumbing. Hopefully it comes soon, my wife is gonna kill me if I don't start making beads again. But like I said before, whenever I talk with them they are always the nicest people.

Bob
Old 2010-02-13, 4:29pm
Debra Clutter

I just got my scorpion up and running! Hubby had to figure out how to tie the four stud together until I get a pedal. Wow! It runs great on N/G and a EX15! I am going to go back outside to do some boro! I will let you know how well it does. I have been worried that it wasn't worth the wait and money.

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Last edited by dclutter64; 2010-02-15 at 7:29am.
Old 2010-02-14, 3:53pm

On July 21 2009 Pam @ GTT wrote me:

"Hello Martina,
You are the first person to order the Scorpion! ... Thank You, Pam" Honestly, I had been so very happy about this fact and I thought that I should be the first client ever to get this torch! But: no. I didn't even get a tracking number yet. My torch doesn't seem to be ready yet!!!!

EDIT: A few hours after having written this, I finally got the tracking number! So I'm not feeling disappointed anymore, but looking forward to get the parcel!

Martina

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators

Last edited by Kirima; 2010-02-16 at 6:22am.
Old 2010-02-14, 4:33pm
www.createdfromfire.com

Does anyone else have any suggestions on a torch that can run on 1/2 psi of propane and a 5 lpm oxycon? Seems the cricket is the only one, please help because now I'm beyond disappointed reading the last post ref scorpion. If I have to I can run another propane line with 10 psi but i dont really want to do that. Debating on bailing on the cricket and buying one I can actually get and use before July 4th. Hehehe

Bob