Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-02-15, 9:49pm
into the fire

JUST GET ON THE LIST ! It will be months before you get the CALL to pay for it
Old 2010-02-16, 5:37am

Lisa, I have a Cheetah that I was using and so far - only one time torching on the Scorpion - I don't miss the triple-mix. I do think I need more time on the torch before I can give you a definite answer, though. Yesterday I only used black and the lustres, so I need to use some of the more sensitive colors, but I have a feeling it is going to be fine. It always amazes me the wonderful torches that GTT can develop. They seem to me much more efficient in their use of both fuel and oxy and the flame chemistry seems to always be top notch.

Oh, and thanks everyone for the comments on the beads. They aren't the greatest as I really was just trying out the torch to see if it could handle the size beads I do.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-16, 6:16am

Even my Scorpion is on it's way now: I've got a tracking number!

Wow, Pam, your beads are amazing! Thanks for posting them here!

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators

Last edited by Kirima; 2010-02-16 at 6:34am.
Old 2010-02-16, 6:33am
GlassDocNC

That's great news!
Old 2010-02-16, 6:35am
Certified Glassaholic!

Just emailed in my order yesterday I can't wait until it's ready. Only problem is I have to choose a color!! Oh my goodness. How to decide??

Old 2010-02-16, 8:26am

You people have given me Torch Envy and I went ahead and placed an order. Will have to sell a bunch of pendants to get the money to pay for it now.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-02-16, 8:38am
In search of her path....

WHen i got an email back about the scorpions it was right after they started shipping they said they wouldnt be able to give me a date on when it would be ready so I think if you order one now it may be a while before you get it

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-02-16, 9:14am

I would love a review and comparison(pictures) between how fast the GTT LYNX and the new Scorpion work Boro. I'd really like to know about working 1.5 " Boro marble how they compare. I like the convenience of running oxy-cons which saves my back from moving k tanks around so kind of limited on how big the torch can be but I want to step up from my Nortel MM but not sure to go with Lynx or the Scorpion.
Old 2010-02-16, 9:58am

Torch envy is full blown. I NEED a foot pedal. Yes, I broke down and put my name on the list for a Scorpion.
Joan
Old 2010-02-16, 10:17am

If my main goal in life is to use boro, then I would definitely get a Scorpion over a Lynx. It will be much faster than a Lynx, qualifying that to say, in my opinion. I would love to hear of someone who works boro all the time give a comparison.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-02-16, 10:27am
Corgi Cult Member

Question for those of you using it on a foot pedal and oxycons:

Are you able to set your oxy level and be happy with it both when just the Cricket is running and when you rage the outer ring? I love the idea of the footpedal, but worry it might be too big of a sudden draw on the oxy when not using tanks.

Old 2010-02-16, 10:57am
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post

Are you able to set your oxy level and be happy with it both when just the Cricket is running and when you rage the outer ring? I love the idea of the footpedal, but worry it might be too big of a sudden draw on the oxy when not using tanks.
Hey - when'd you get in my head?!

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-02-16, 11:44am
DSDWC

A holding tank will cure any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post

Old 2010-02-16, 3:58pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Thanks, Pam. That's good to know. I keep going back and forth on the fence, but now I"m really excited to get mine. Last night I made a fairly large boro murinni (my initials) and really wished I had a more penetrating heat. It sounds like the Scorpion will do much better than my Bullet.

And thanks to everyone else reporting on this torch. It's great info and it sounds like it's put a few more folks on the Scorpion list.

Old 2010-02-17, 11:37am
DSDWC

UPS just delivered my Scorpion!!!

Old 2010-02-17, 1:35pm

All right, Trey. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

My Blog
Old 2010-02-17, 1:39pm

Mine came today too!!! I have to wait until this weekend to set it up (pout)! Can't wait to play, its so pretty!!!
Mary T.

Old 2010-02-17, 3:47pm

I just got mine today! What color did everyone get?
Marianne

Marianne
Mkdisegni
Old 2010-02-18, 11:35am

I got the purple because its my favorite color!!
Mary T.

Old 2010-02-18, 3:17pm
Just Me

So.... Has anyone who got theirs tried it yet???? Would love to hear what you have to say.......

Remember it's already tomorrow in Australia!
Old 2010-02-18, 3:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergypsy View Post
So.... Has anyone who got theirs tried it yet???? Would love to hear what you have to say.......
Have you READ this thread?

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-02-18, 4:01pm
Lampworkaholic!

I called a couple of weeks ago and put my name on the list - right after my class with Trey.

GTT said they'd have my torch ready to test by mid-March.

That may be pie in the sky, but it's possible that now that they are in full production mode, the wait time will be shorter.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

I'm happy on my Nortel for now but I know I want more optionality eventually. I'm not usually very patient, so here is my chance to PPP.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-02-18, 6:17pm

Knowing of the backlog that GTT has, how many people would be willing to buy a Scorpion from a distributor at the full retail price, vs waiting months and months to get one at the introductory price?

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-02-18, 8:49pm

Personally, I'm not in a hurry. I've got to sell a bunch of pendants and wine stoppers so I'll be ready when they call.

Greg

Old 2010-02-19, 4:08am

My Scorpion is finally here and I'm so very happy!

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2010-02-19, 4:21am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

whoohoo Kirima. mine is on her way as well, she's at customs as we speak

Old 2010-02-19, 11:55am
DSDWC

I have had a couple of days to play with the Scorpion. I think this torch is going to change the way bead makers think about torches. Being able to use a concentrator to feed the torch and he ability to hook this torch to a foot pedal really makes it a wonderful tool. You can be doing fine detail work with the small focused inner fire and using a foot pedal be able to hands free turn on the outer fire keep the bead hot in the outer fire. The inner fire can be focused down to a very tight pinpoint flame that is great for stringer work. The outer fire can be set anywhere from a big fluffy flame for keeping the bead hot during design work, I was able to make my large tabs easily and quickly,and then really cranked up for the penetrating heat that solid boro work demands. I was able to get a very hot penetrating flame on the torch at its max setting. I made a 1.5 inch clear boro marble very quickly and with no problems. I am sure larger marbles and medium size sculptural work are well within the reach of this torch for a patient user. The Scorpion is designed to run on O2 LPM's and PSI that are easily created with the more powerful concentrators or by ganging them up. I set my pressure down to 8 PSI for O2 an 3 PSI propane and to simulate a generator and the torch ran great. Although I was not able to replicate the LPM's of a generator I am sure it will operate within the volumes described by GTT.

I do find a couple of minor drawbacks to the Scorpion and I should bring them up. I find the base to be a bit light. I really wish it came with the heavier base of the Lynx. I also wish it came with hose tails attached like many other GTT torches. If I was going to order another one I would ask for both of these items and pay for the upgrade.
The last drawback that I have relates to my personal needs of the torch. I purchased this torch thinking it would become a travel torch for when I teach classes. Its small size would be a great advantage when trying to keep my checked bag under #50. The drawback is that the torch does not like to run as well at the higher PSI that many studios run on order to accommodate the large number of torches in the teaching facility. Anything O2 above about 15 PSI and the torch starts to lose some of the flame control that I like. I don't see this as a real drawback to the torch . I am actually asking it to do more than it was designed for. Because of this I do not think I will be able to use this torch for a travel torch.
All in all I find this to be a wonderful addition to the GTT family and I truly believe it will change the way we think about flame control and glass working in the home studio setting. If you order one be sure to get the 4 stud so hooking up a foot pedal is an option.

Old 2010-02-19, 12:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Cornette View Post
The last drawback that I have relates to my personal needs of the torch. I purchased this torch thinking it would become a travel torch for when I teach classes. Its small size would be a great advantage when trying to keep my checked bag under #50. The drawback is that the torch does not like to run as well at the higher PSI that many studios run on order to accommodate the large number of torches in the teaching facility. Anything O2 above about 15 PSI and the torch starts to lose some of the flame control that I like. I don't see this as a real drawback to the torch . I am actually asking it to do more than it was designed for. Because of this I do not think I will be able to use this torch for a travel torch.
You can bring a small, fixed-pressure regulator that you can mount in-line on the gas hose. These are small, light weight, and don't cost much. Don't let this be the reason to stop you from using the Scorpion as your travel torch.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-02-19, 12:22pm

Thanks, Trey!! This is exactly the kind of info I've been itchin' to hear from you peeps that already have their torches set up. And your experience with the pedal is the exact reason I bought this torch, so YAY!!!
And Malcolm, you're da man!!! Always there with a quick solution!!
Mary T.

Old 2010-02-19, 12:25pm
DSDWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
You can bring a small, fixed-pressure regulator that you can mount in-line on the gas hose. These are small, light weight, and don't cost much. Don't let this be the reason to stop you from using the Scorpion as your travel torch.

Malcolm
True enough but my whole idea was to simplify and lighten the load. I had plans to building a mini foot pedal with smaller hoses, solenoids and fittings as well.
That may be getting a bit complicated when I can just continue using my Barracuda and Hot Ass Tools foot pedal.
When it comes down to it I would not be saving that much weight and would be giving up quite a bit of flame size.
I am sure I will have no problems passing this wonderful torch on to someone should I decide it won't work out for my application.