Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-01-04, 3:23pm

Unhappy Scratches in Clear???

Any way to get surface scratches out of beads? I don't know if it was my kiln or the glass, but I have scratches on a few of my recent sets. The scratches go around the bead, all in the same direction.

Any tips on how to avoid this? I usually use a 7-8mm clear rod, and my last batch was Kimax.

Such a waste if they can't be fixed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-04, 5:46pm
Borovangelist

You could try popping them back on the mandrel, bringing them to temp and fire polishing, but you may still have some residual lines showing.

Definitely try to figure out where they're coming from though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2010-01-04, 6:24pm
Harold Williams Cooney

never fix a problem you can not source. okay? never. even if you know what the problem is (scratches) and how to fix it (fire polish), if you can not source the issue do not fix the problem.

find the source.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-01-04, 9:51pm

Thank you both. I will do some investigating and hopefully smooth out the existing scratches

Old 2010-01-05, 6:25am
boro color bender

I'm not so sure it's scratches... sounds like a ring of devit...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-01-05, 12:16pm

Brent,

Do have have a link to learn more about devit? I make beads pretty often and don't change much in my process, and this has just been my last few trips to the torch. I definitely need to get to the bottom of it. I have about 30 damaged beads right now.

Thank you

Old 2010-01-05, 2:48pm
Harold Williams Cooney

wow. pics?

Old 2010-01-05, 2:52pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

Do you use a mold for your beads? If so, check the cavities to make sure there is not a particle of graphite sticking up somewhere.

Old 2010-01-06, 6:06am
Pyromaniac

Can we see pix of the beads in question, preferably some nice close in shots showing the problem areas? There are many possibilities, it could be anything from encasement technique to boiling the glass to contamination to who knows. Pictures will help our resident experts dial in the problem for you Heck I may even have a theory or 2 after seeing pictures.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-01-06, 6:26am
randrew97

If the "streaks" are where you encased the clear you could have had a thin line of seeds, thus leaving a cloudy look (this was a regular problem with the old pyrex brand about 10 or so years ago). If the clear glass used for the encasement had a scratch on it (i've had full sticks that had scratchs) it would leave streaks. Or the glass could've been dirty when you did the encasement. Any of the three issues pretty much means you can trash those beads or sell them as seconds. In the time you tried to fix the mistake you could probably make a new bead. Also, I always look the clear over that I'm encasing with before laying it down on a nicely decorated bead.
Old 2010-01-06, 11:08am

I will try to get some pics done today and should be able to capture the scratches, since I caught them in the lens of the camera in the first place. I appreciate all the feedback.

Old 2010-01-06, 2:46pm
Harold Williams Cooney

boil marks.

Old 2010-01-06, 5:25pm

maybe you just need a good cleaning of your studio and work area to include the kiln and all glass used? i resort to that when i end up with mystery marks on my stuff.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2010-01-07, 5:22pm

I had a hard time capturing the scratches. From several shots, these are the best I could do. The scratches are mostly going around the bead, but some are scattered as well.

I am using a paragon blue bird kiln. Could it be the kiln floor?
Attached Images

Old 2010-01-07, 10:44pm
Borovangelist

In that last one it looks more like you just had some schmutz on your glass and it baked in.

Pretty though

|
|
Old 2010-01-08, 12:15am
Harold Williams Cooney

i do think it looks like baked in "schmutz" . . . .

however, check out this theory: the bowl or sink you clean your beads in. you are abrazing your beads against metal or metal enamel as you clean them and they are scratching. in this case what you see is not glass removed by scratching but metal added to the surface.

call me crazy.

Old 2010-01-08, 6:47am
Pyromaniac

Paragon bluebird fiber or brick? If fiber, you may be putting them in too hot. brick at least you can clean pretty well. I have a fiber bluebird, I haven't cleaned mine, scared to ruin the lining.

Try a mandrel rack for inside your kiln so that the beads don't touch the floor. Use a rod rest (inexpensive at most glass supply houses) if you don't have something that will serve.

The metal deposition theory is definitely a thought as well. The first picture, furthest left, definitely appears that way.

Suggestion to "save" those beads - Sandblast. I'm not a big fan of etching on beads usually, I just prefer glossy glass, but it's a beautiful technique when done right.

Old 2010-01-08, 11:13am

I can actually feel the scratches when I run my nail over the suface. It is a groove and not raised on the surface. I use a plastic bowl to soak them in and then dremel out the center, moving them to another plastic bowl of water and then lay them on a towel to dry.

It may be my kiln floor. It is fiber and gets a lot of use. I sometimes jab the floor with the tool I use to place the full mandrel inside the kiln. I will try putting something on the floor and yes, I have been weary of cleaning it because I don't want to ruin it. Maybe I am putting them in too hot and they are getting scratched by the floor as I put them down. They do roll around slightly as I add additional mandrels and I fill it up pretty good sometimes. The part I can't figure out is that this is a new problem. I have been making beads for over two years in this kiln and have since gone back and looked at previous beads and none have scratches.

Is there a small device I can get for sandblasting or do I go to a shop that already has one? My dad used to have one when he had an auto repair shop but that is gone now.

Thanks for all the input. I still haven't gone back out to the torch since I first brought this up because my whole house came down with bronchitis.

Last edited by FireLilyGlass; 2010-01-08 at 11:13am. Reason: grammar
Old 2010-01-11, 7:09am
Pyromaniac

Harbor Freight has sandblasting cabinets. Cheapies but they'll do.

Old 2010-01-11, 7:30am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I never put beads on the floor of my kiln. I use a mandrel holder that I made from a 1/2" rod of clear-I formed it into a rectangle and then put a row of 'spikes' on opposite ends, using a 5mm rod. I rest the mandrels between the spikes - it's like each mandrel has it's own slot. Call me anal but I figure the bead will anneal better if it is 'in the kiln' as opposed to laying on the floor of the kiln.

Old 2010-01-11, 4:23pm

i never place beads on the kiln floor either, i rest it on a kiln post on its side or a rod rest. good luck finding your culprit.
rod rests: http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=4579

ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2010-01-12, 9:21am

Thank you! I have a rod rest and I will put it in there. I think that is it since I checked the clear rods and there are no scratches in them. They are getting scratched on the floor now. Don't know why they didn't the previous couple of years, so hopefully the rod rest does the trick!

Old 2010-01-13, 10:15am

You can also use a piece of kiln furniture to rest the tip of the mandrel on so that the beads never touch the floor.