Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-18, 4:43pm

Default Colors that don't reduce?

Is there a list or something somewhere of all the colors that don't react badly with a reduction flame?I know some of them but I'm realizing there are a lot more than I first thought. If there isn't a list somewhere perhaps we could start one here.
Old 2012-02-18, 5:09pm

104 or boro?

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-02-19, 9:34am

Sorry I should of been more specific 104.
Old 2012-02-19, 9:45am

Yellows, black and white are fairly wysiwyg (pronounced "wooseewig," which means what you see is what you get). Blues are mostly good but watch out for turquoise and sky blue. Turq & sky blue are temp issues... colored with copper so you can bring out reds in the sky blue and turquoise can get a grayish sheen over it that soaking in toilet bowl cleaner might get rid of. Light ivory is okay. Dark you can cook and get some great striations but I don't think a reducing flame affects either of these colors. Some colors don't play well with ivory, regardless of the flame chemistry. Rubino, for example. Don't waste your rubino over ivory unless you totally encase it in clear.

Transparents are for the most part pretty good... watch out for anything with silvers though. Some are great for reducing flames and some need oxidizing for best color reactions.

Pinks is a temperature issue... too hot = ugly livery browns. Rubino use care with- 1) expensive and 2) too hot will ruin it. Flame chemistry does matter... I think reducing is bad for it. Gelly Pink Sty is the most stable pink I've found.

Greens... depends. It's a temp. issue for some. Green is colored with copper and too hot can turn it red but, off the top of my head, can't think of a color that reducing flame would turn...

Purples... EDP is a temp. issue for devitrification. Heat it hot and remove it from the flame. Putting it in and out, hot and cool and you risk devit, which you can get rid of by heating the bead back up to glowing and then take it out of the flames and don't put it back in. Some hate EDP but I love it.

That's a start, I guess. Others will add more- and correct me if I'm wrong! lol

Sue
Old 2012-02-22, 11:26am

Thanks for the overview. It was extremely helpful. I knew about the turquoise turning red thing and I was wondering if that was a huge problem for the other shades of blue and green and I was wondering about pink. I'm also curious about orange? I mean do they general react with a reduction flame?
Old 2012-02-22, 11:41am

Oranges are usually okay. I can't think of any orange I've had problems with but watch out for the corals. Too hot and you can turn them muddy, muddy for lack of a better word at the moment. As for corals, there are lots of different shades... even if the name is the same, the batch is different and you will find the color shades are as well. It's something we all know. If you love your coral, buy a bunch at once cuz you'll never find it again! Well, probably won't find the same shade again...

Sue
Old 2012-02-22, 11:53am

This might seam like a silly question but what exactly is the difference between orange and coral? Which colors are orange and which ones are coral?
Old 2012-02-22, 3:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebreathingdragon View Post
This might seam like a silly question but what exactly is the difference between orange and coral? Which colors are orange and which ones are coral?
Order a batch of orange and order another 2 months later and you get orange.

Order coral and look at it sideways and it changes color... ok, kidding. Corals are not as orange as oranges. I'll brb... off to take a couple of pictures.

First picture is of a bunch of different ORANGES. The picture is blurry but what you're looking for is colors, rather than crispy pictures... I just say that cuz the photo sucks! These are different oranges but if I ordered a certain orange shade again, chances are good that what will arrive will look like what I already have for a rod.

This picture is of a bunch of CORALS. Each has a different name but they are all corals. If I ordered more of a certain NAME coral, what I'll get when my order arrives may not match what I already had for a rod. Mixing coral colors are really tricky.

Sue

Last edited by Sue in Maine; 2012-02-22 at 3:20pm.
Old 2012-02-22, 8:35pm

Thank you those pictures really helped show the difference more than anything that you could say. So oranges reduce OK and corals need TLC.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:34pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I've never had an orange or coral reduce.

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-23, 6:12am

Sue, where did you learn a word like wysiwyg? Love it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-23, 8:45am
I like to melt things

I do this test for all of the colours I test on my blog. Here are some examples of colours that DO reduce:

EDP (turns shiny and dark purple)
Flamingo (turns shiny and dark pink)
Pajama Blue (gets pinkish patches)
Mermaid (gets brick red patches)
Lizard (goes browner, less grey)
Mystic Beige (goes translucent)
Dark Mattter (gets bright red patches)

In some cases, reducing seems to do something to the colour (e.g. make it browner, darker, lighter, more opaque or more orange) but with more experimentation you find that just repeatedly striking it in a neutral flame does the same thing, so it's not really anything to do with the reducing flame:
Jade Palace, Kryptonite (goes lighter / opacifies)
Mud Slide (goes darker / browner)
Canyon de Chelly (goes darker / browner / pinker)
Avocado (goes browner / more of a terracotta colour)
Hollandaise (goes a little more orange / brown)

But the vast majority of the colours I've tested, particularly transparent colours, don't reduce at all.

I use this as a general rule of thumb, but there are exceptions to it.
- Blue and Green opaques are likely to reduce with red splotchiness, but might not
- Pinks and purples are likely to behave unpredictably - sometimes they get shiny
- Browns are likely to strike; in rare cases they may colour change or get shiny
- Reds, Oranges and Corals are unlikely to do anything interesting at all in a reduction flame
- Yellows may do nothing, or they will strike more orange/brown
- Semi-opaque colours may lighten or darken, and might look more or less opaque after striking in a reducing flame

The link to my blog is in my signature if you are interested in checking it out.

-
-
Old 2012-02-23, 11:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Sue, where did you learn a word like wysiwyg? Love it!
It's a boro term. I learned it from Pipyr.

Sue
Old 2012-02-23, 11:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
I've never had an orange or coral reduce.
Woops- didn't mean corals reduce. I meant ya can burn the $hit out of them and end up with crappy livery-ugly colors. Or is that just my special skill in the world???

Sue
Old 2012-02-25, 12:43pm

Oenone, I actually do read your blog and it's actually one of my favorites. I've been wondering about oranges and purples. You haven't done very many posts on oranges and I know your not to fond of purple. I'm not a member of their site so I've never left a comment but I have found it extremely helpful.
Old 2012-02-25, 8:17pm
I like to melt things

Thanks firebreathingdragon!

I will make an effort to test more oranges and purples this year. I'm trying to love all of the colours in 2012

-
-
Old 2012-02-28, 3:49pm

That will be awesome. I actually usually read your posts about specific color before I buy it. Thanks for sharing the Atlantis and Ivory reaction, it looks spectacular. Thanks everyone I'll keep all those general rules in mind when working with reduction glasses.
Old 2012-02-28, 5:01pm

Google is a wonderfull thing. I knew wysiwyg as a computer term, but the phrase comes from Flip Wison. Darrell

The phrase was coined by Larry Sinclair, an engineer at Triple I (Information International, Inc.), to express the idea that what the user sees on the screen is what the user gets on the printer while using the "page layout system", a pre-press typesetting system first shown at ANPS in Las Vegas.[when?]

The phrase was popularised by a newsletter published by Arlene and Jose Ramos, called WYSIWYG. It was created for the emerging Pre-Press industry going electronic in the late 1970s. After three years of publishing, the newsletter was sold to employees at the Stanford Research Institute in California.

The phrase "What you see is what you get", from which the acronym derives, was a catchphrase popularized by Flip Wilson's drag persona "Geraldine" (from Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In in the late 1960s and then on The Flip Wilson Show until 1974). Geraldine would often say it to excuse her quirky behavior. Jon Seybold and researchers at PARC were simply reappropriating the popular cultural reference.[6][7]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcbn0K84ZdE