LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-07-20, 7:51pm
Lampworkaholic!

I use furnace glass frit on the surface of Bullseye (5-10% of the total bead mass) and I've had no issues. Bullseye is closer to the CoE of 96 than is 104. Plus much of the furnace frit is in the 92-96 range.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-07-20, 8:48pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
I use furnace glass frit on the surface of Bullseye (5-10% of the total bead mass) and I've had no issues. Bullseye is closer to the CoE of 96 than is 104. Plus much of the furnace frit is in the 92-96 range.
It is very close, I agree. That's why I don't understand why I had problems. Especially with a transparent like K-14 on the surface of Bullseye. With the Gaffer frit problem and BE neo lavender opal, I thought it was because the frit was size #1.

Oh, the worse frit crack-up I ever saw was a looong time ago when there was a seller on ebay that had Czech glass frit and she said it could be used with Effetre. OMG...now that was a mess!

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-07-20 at 8:53pm.
Old 2013-07-21, 6:36am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
It is very close, I agree. That's why I don't understand why I had problems. Especially with a transparent like K-14 on the surface of Bullseye. With the Gaffer frit problem and BE neo lavender opal, I thought it was because the frit was size #1.

Oh, the worse frit crack-up I ever saw was a looong time ago when there was a seller on ebay that had Czech glass frit and she said it could be used with Effetre. OMG...now that was a mess!
Some Czech soda lime glass has a COE of 112. I can see how that would be a mess!

Gaffer frit sizes are smaller than Kugler and Reichenbach. Their size 1 is more like a .5 and their size 2 is more like 1.5.

But K-14 is a Kugler number, not Gaffer.

If you have the Gaffer number I can do a test to see if I have the same issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-07-21, 6:41am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Some Czech soda lime glass has a COE of 112. I can see how that would be a mess!

Gaffer frit sizes are smaller than Kugler and Reichenbach. Their size 1 is more like a .5 and their size 2 is more like 1.5.

But K-14 is a Kugler number, not Gaffer.

If you have the Gaffer number I can do a test to see if I have the same issue.
Oops, there were two separate issues. I'm sorry if that was confusing.

Kugler K-14 (a bluish purple) over BE transparent neo lavender. I still have the beads, and they have tiny cracks all throughout. I'll try and get a picture of those.

From what I remember, those were the days when I had a lot of energy, so most likely they were annealed at 968 for about 12-16 hours, at least! lol
Gaffer G-11 (Amethyst) over BE neo lavender opal. I threw those away a long time ago. Those had tiny fissures all over the surface.
Old 2013-07-21, 7:58am
Lampworkaholic!

I have all those colors (surprise!) so I'll do a little test this week and see what happens.

I anneal at 920 for 1.25 hours with shorter stops at 840 and 600 on the way down.

Old 2013-07-21, 8:20am
one day at a time

Oops again, I need to wake up and drink more coffee! I meant to say "garaged" at 940 rather than annealed. I used to work very long hours, and now all I can handle in one stretch is 6-8 hours max a day before I hit the "skip step" button to go up a few degrees to the annealing temp.
Old 2013-07-24, 6:07pm
Lampworkaholic!

Back with my test beads. I looked at them under a loupe and can't see any issues.

Gaffer G-11 over BE Neo Lavender Opal.

Kugler K-14 over BE Neo Lavender Transparent.

It's just been a couple of days so I'll be keeping an eagle eye on them.
Attached Images

Old 2013-07-25, 12:18pm
one day at a time

Yep, I remember those beads when I used to make them. I loved that color combo! I was so disappointed when I found the little bitty cracks (crazing) all of them. I just remembered that I need to get a pic of the cracked K-14 and transparent 8mm beads. When I held those up to the light, I was wondering why they were so "sparkly", and the sparkles were tiny cracks!
Old 2013-07-25, 1:24pm
Queen Bee

Well, I'm finally checking back on this thread I take back what I said about Kugler glass, it was definitely user error! I played with my Kugler colors and made some bellflowers which came out great. Some of the colors have great reactions to a different flame - they can stay clear or go opalescent. Very intriguing, and I now love the colors.

Thanks everyone for all the tips and especially the gorgeous photos by Karen. They are to die for, and I ordered just about every color you showed from Gaffer. I can't wait to get them!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-07-25, 1:33pm

Bullseye is sooooooo picky, sometimes it doesn't even like itself!

Barbara
Old 2013-10-07, 6:23pm

What COE are these gaffer glasses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartwheel View Post
I love Gaffer glass:
Gold Pink Extra (GC-110C), Pale Rose (GC-112C), Purpur (GC-114C), Violet (GC-115C), Gold Ruby disks(GC-014C)

hand mixed:
assorted transparents,

hollows and disks:
Chocolate (GC-173C), Gold Pink Extra (GC-110C), Olive Green (GC-131C), Mustard (GC-174C),Violet (GC-115C), Latte (GC-103C)

buttons:
Black (GC-050C), Purpur, Gold Pink Extra, Azure (GC-128C), Olive, Crimson (GC-178C), Orange (GC-182C), Canary Yellow (GC-184C),

transparent spacers and tumbled spacers:
Light Cobalt GC-002C), Light Aquamarine (GC-003C), Light Jade Green (GC-004C), Light Emerald Green (GC-006C), Clear (GC-005C)

all Gaffer:
Chalcedony hollows (GC-109C), Aubergine (GC-051)over white (striped hollows), veiled Gold Lustre (button), Sargasso over lavender veiled (hollows), Lustre (assorted disks)

Old 2013-10-07, 7:57pm
randomly active member

Gaffer is 96 coe
.:.

Old 2013-10-07, 8:35pm
sorcerer

For those of you interested most of the furnace glass colours, i.e., Kugler, Reichenbach and the like, with the exception of Gaffer is between 86 to 94 COE, you can find this info on the manufacturers web sites.
cheers, B

Old 2013-10-08, 3:00am

Thanks for the information.
I mixed a few rods I had purchased during my studio renovation and want to create a space for the few odd coe glasses that I have bought to explore.

Old 2013-10-08, 3:46am
what's a senior moment ?

Those colors are exceptional ! I have an order of Gaffer coming this week and now I just can't wait to play ! Gorgeous colors.

Old 2013-10-12, 5:14pm

Quote:
I love Gaffer glass:
Gold Pink Extra (GC-110C), Pale Rose (GC-112C), Purpur (GC-114C), Violet (GC-115C), Gold Ruby disks(GC-014C)

hand mixed:
assorted transparents,

hollows and disks:
Chocolate (GC-173C), Gold Pink Extra (GC-110C), Olive Green (GC-131C), Mustard (GC-174C),Violet (GC-115C), Latte (GC-103C)

buttons:
Black (GC-050C), Purpur, Gold Pink Extra, Azure (GC-128C), Olive, Crimson (GC-178C), Orange (GC-182C), Canary Yellow (GC-184C),

transparent spacers and tumbled spacers:
Light Cobalt GC-002C), Light Aquamarine (GC-003C), Light Jade Green (GC-004C), Light Emerald Green (GC-006C), Clear (GC-005C)

all Gaffer:
Chalcedony hollows (GC-109C), Aubergine (GC-051)over white (striped hollows), veiled Gold Lustre (button), Sargasso over lavender veiled (hollows), Lustre (assorted disks)

Wow! Just saw these. Absolutely gorgeous!

Old 2013-10-15, 7:43pm
HotFlash Designs

Karen, those are all beautiful!!!

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2013-10-16, 12:22pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Karen, these are amazing combos. do you mind sharing what these colors are too? Thanks
Quote:
Thanks so much Spotty Dots!

Since the Gaffer transparents are so intense (apart from the pale ones I used for the tumbled spacers), I have been experimenting with blending them with either clear or white, or white and clear mixed. I have used basically every transparent (at least that I could find) So here's a few more color assortments, some I have shown before. All have been tumbled and have a yummy translucent silky feel.

Old 2013-10-16, 1:46pm
Angie09

Yes please....I'd love to know what these ^^^^^^^^ colors are! And how you get the streaks please.
Old 2013-10-28, 10:46pm

Wow karen, these are beautiful!! You've convinced me I want to buy some Gaffer glass. I wonder if there is a market for some old Bullseye?

Old 2016-08-13, 10:57am

Quote:
Thanks so much Spotty Dots!

Since the Gaffer transparents are so intense (apart from the pale ones I used for the tumbled spacers), I have been experimenting with blending them with either clear or white, or white and clear mixed. I have used basically every transparent (at least that I could find) So here's a few more color assortments, some I have shown before. All have been tumbled and have a yummy translucent silky feel.

Karen, just wondering if you mixed the Gaffer transparents with 96 clear and/or white, or 104? These are beautiful!
Old 2016-08-14, 2:39am
Slogan Challenged...

ooh, thanks for bumping this thread. Love looking at these, such great colors. Yes were these mixed with 96 or 104?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-08-14, 4:45am

Gaffer is discontinuing lampwork cane, fyi. Many of the colors are already gone. But I love it and will probably buy rod to pull down when I run out of my favorites.
Old 2016-09-26, 1:04pm
and your little dog too

Not only that, but they are discontinuing G199 for some reason ??

The frit will still be available, but G199 is sold out except for one size so I inquired, they are no longer making it.

Old 2016-09-26, 3:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasia View Post

The frit will still be available, but G199 is sold out except for one size so I inquired, they are no longer making it.
Seriously? Off to order a few k's. Thank you for posting this. I wonder why it is being discontinued - maybe they think 199 and 198 are too close to each other and went with the more popular version.
Old 2016-09-26, 4:32pm
and your little dog too

Yeah I don't know, I would think the g199 would be more popular. He said it was discontinued a few months ago, wish i would've known before!

Old 2016-09-26, 5:22pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasia View Post

Gaffer glass is discontinuing all lampworking rods. Not only G199.
They announced it in summer.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2016-09-26, 6:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Billig View Post
Gaffer glass is discontinuing all lampworking rods. Not only G199.
They announced it in summer.
Agree. But they are also discontinuing G199 altogether - cane rod frit. It has now been renumbered LE199 and flagged as being discontinued.

Last edited by echeveria; 2016-09-26 at 6:42pm.