Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-30, 5:10am
Professional Bead Pimp

Default Inexpensive fume hood / workstation

If you don't want to spend big bucks on a fume hood, here is an inexpensive alternative.

I built one of these for a customer. It is 30" wide, 30" high, and 28" deep (for a 30" wide table). It is open on the bottom.

The material is 3/4" foam board, which is a foam material covered on BOTH sides with a heavy duty aluminum foil. I used aluminum foil tape, sold specifically to assemble foam board, and a very sharp filet knife to cut it.

I added a couple of 1" x 2" wood stiffners across the top, and down the sides where the fan is, to carry the weight of the fan. The last picture shows the window baffle board I made out of a piece of leftover foam board. I added a 'duct collar' to the window baffle board, and attached the aluminum flex tube to that.

There is a 6" high baffle board across the top to contain the torch fumes. It was removed for the pictures. The fan used is called an "inline duct booster" available from HVAC suppliers. Get at LEAST a 600 CFM fan of 10" or greater diameter.

Please note that for the usual lampworking torches such as the Minor, Bobcat, HotHead, National 8M/SM7, Lynx, CC Mini, etc. that this will work very well. For really LARGE honking torches, neither foam board nor the inline fan will tolerate the heat. For these large torches, you must use metal or concrete board, and a fan where the motor is NOT in the exhaust stream.

This one cost about $100 in materials for EVERYTHING, including the fan and the flex tube. It took about 3 hours to cut it out and assemble it. I made all the individual pieces, carried them flat to my customer's studio, and assembled on site with foil tape and screws. If you look carefully in the second picture, you can see fender washers and screws to attach the 1" x 2", and in the third picture, the screws that hold the sides to the top. I also painted the entire insides white to help with the light. My customer has since added a small light inside the workstation, but you probably could incorporate one in the top somehow.

Here is a good source for the fans, DO NOT use LESS THAN a 10" diameter fan though (DB210). if you have to run more than a few feet to get to the outdoors, then use the 12" diameter fan.
http://www.iaqsource.com/index.php?m...ts&prod_cat=12
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7

Last edited by BillBrach; 2005-07-30 at 3:58pm.
Old 2005-07-30, 5:31am
Voodoo Barfly Priestess

Sweet set-up, Bill!

Hardi-backer, a concrete underlayment for tile, is also a relatively inexpensive fire-proof material that can be purchased at any home building supply store, just so people know. It is easy to cut with a utility knife, so it can be resized to fit with little effort. It IS heavy, though, so make sure you have a wooden frame to attach it to. Oh, and make sure the meshy side is to the OUTSIDE!

Edit to say: it can take the big torch heat but only with proper distance and ventilation, same as any "fireproof" material.

Last edited by mobility; 2005-07-30 at 5:34am.
Old 2005-07-30, 6:11am
Professional Bead Pimp

Robin,

I must have the wrong kind of utility knife, as I've never been able to cut backer board with any knife I have. The backer board I have is used under ceramic tile, on a floor. Maybe this is different than what you are talking about ?? As I understand it, you only have to score that stuff and then snap it off. I've had dismal results doing this

I always end up dragging my tablesaw outdoors, putting a junk carbide blade on it, and cutting it that way. But, I get beautifully straight cuts, so that makes having to clean the saw up afterwards worth it

Bill

"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7

Last edited by BillBrach; 2005-07-30 at 6:14am.
Old 2005-07-30, 6:15am
It's time to sparkle

That's a nice set-up, Bill.
I'm moving to a new studio soon and was looking into doing something like that. I think I'll try it out!
Thanks,
Jude

Old 2005-07-30, 8:46am
Boldly going

I used the foam board technique for a photo box also. Just make it smaller and add a bottom instead of top. On the top I attach a shop light. It works pretty well.

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. - Thomas Edison

|
|
|
Old 2005-07-30, 2:44pm

hey Bill,

the boards you used on this picture are
only covered on one side.
how come?
and if so, why is the cover on the outside?
why not on the inside,
to protect the foam against the flame / heat?
Old 2005-07-30, 3:56pm
Professional Bead Pimp

No, the foam board is covered on BOTH sides. The inside is painted white to help reflect the light.

Old 2005-07-31, 4:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrach
No, the foam board is covered on BOTH sides. The inside is painted white to help reflect the light.
your paint work is so good, it looks like foam.
i could have sworn i saw the texture.
i guess it difuses the light much softer than the foil.
nice work, man.
Old 2005-08-02, 4:37am
Fire Borne

You know Bill, I tell everyone how inventive you are! I still talk about your "photo dome" set up when that type of thing comes up and I would love to have one of those wooden bead wrenches you made. And now this! If I thought I could work in a box, I would build one for myself.

Thanks for all this and your humor too!

pat
Old 2005-08-02, 5:19am
boro color bender

That's really nice Bill... and to think anyone can do it for about $100... Just build the "Bill box" and stop sucking on those fumes. Thanks for sharing Bill... now, can you convince my wife to let me torch in the living room if I build one- LOL

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-08-02, 5:20am
boro color bender

PS- The friggin filet knife does so much more than filet fish... some times, it's the only sharp knife around here!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-08-02, 7:34am
Professional Bead Pimp

Pat,

Thanks for the kind words. All of my little "inventions" are born of necessity to solve a problem. But, I guess thats how a lot of things come into existance.

Brent,

When I first started lampworking, it was in the back of the family room. I kludged up an exhaust system using a nearby bathroom exhaust fan. It "sucked", to say the least.

I even put down a couple of pieces of 1/4" plywood to protect the rug, but only AFTER I burnt a 50 cent piece sized hole in the carpet !! Luckily, that flooring is going to be replaced with wood one of these days.

The only thing wrong with using my good filet knife is I'll have to remember to sharpen it the next time I go grouper fishing :BIGGRIN:

Bill

Old 2005-08-05, 7:32am
It's time to sparkle

Great fish!!!!!!!!!

Hey, wait a minute, you hijacked your own thread!

Old 2005-08-05, 8:04am
Professional Bead Pimp

PICTURES OF FISH DELETED TO REMOVE "FLUFF" CONTENT

Bill

Last edited by BillBrach; 2005-08-06 at 3:37am.
Old 2005-08-05, 8:39pm
Fusing Glass

ROFL Bill, kinda stretching it there arent you and where is that there filet knife anyway? hmm *grins* I see huge mounds of slimy fishes...
Old 2005-08-06, 7:44am
Fusing Glass

Okay BIll, I am dense, you have proved your point if that is what you did here with the fish pic. yes i can see how fast the line of intent of a thread can be changed. u bac boy u! hahaha you got me! dang I hate being this slow
Old 2005-08-06, 10:55am
Word to your mother

You gotta be kidding me...the fish are gone? I miss EVERYTHING !

Bill, you know, once you post something you should leave it so everyone can refer to it later.

OK, so as not to have a post that is total fluff in a non-fluff zone. What are the other uses for the filet knife? I have a filet knife, I hate fish, but it works great on tomatoes. Oh..sorry, unnecessary info.

AHEM...why filet knife?

OH...and something else. My HVAC guy that is building the box for me said that he can't touch the price on the fan you referenced in the original post to this thread and that anybody that wants one should definitely get it from this site.

Also, can you refer those of us who were intrigued by Toozy's reference to your photo thing to where we might see that set up you made?

Old 2005-08-06, 11:18am
It's time to sparkle

I got an 8" inline fan at Home depot for I think about $30.00. They didn't have any 10", but I have two of them hooked up, one at each end.

Old 2005-08-06, 6:20pm
Professional Bead Pimp

Kendra,

You know, I'm kind of tired of the BS right now on LE, especially in my Crashing / Hijacking thread. I post what I think is something that needs discussion and all I do is get words shoved down my throat.

I think I'm going to keep my 'content' to myself. I have all kinds of nifty things I've made, but I can see that I have nothing to gain posting here except a lot of grief from people who can't even comprehend a thread.

As an engineer, I come up with solutions for a living. I should probably quit giving them away.

Respectfully,

Bill

Old 2005-08-06, 6:59pm
CA Queen Bitch

I learn a lot from you Bill, please don't go away!! You possess a very generous wealth of information and we do appreciate you being here and willing to help us all out!

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-08-06, 7:24pm
Word to your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrach
Kendra,

You know, I'm kind of tired of the BS right now on LE, especially in my Crashing / Hijacking thread. I post what I think is something that needs discussion and all I do is get words shoved down my throat.

I think I'm going to keep my 'content' to myself. I have all kinds of nifty things I've made, but I can see that I have nothing to gain posting here except a lot of grief from people who can't even comprehend a thread.

As an engineer, I come up with solutions for a living. I should probably quit giving them away.

Respectfully,

Bill
Bill,

You have forced me to become a bit more "professional" here and say that while I do have a tendency to not take myself or others too seriously, I also appreciate good advice and respect those with more knowledge than myself. You have offered both, and I kindly asked for more. Request denied apparently.

I understand your comment about not wanting to "give them (ideas) away". But if that is because I have responded to you in a light-hearted way I think that's sad. I have been through enough heartache and trauma in my nearly 40 years to have learned to not sweat the small stuff anymore. We all have our potholes in the road of life, some are just deeper than others. I have chosen to laugh through it all, for the most part, and not get too blown up in the shorts. Thus explains my levity.

I will not appologize for my light take on life. While I'm certain there is a lot I could learn from you, I hope that you could also learn something from me.

Respectfully,

Old 2005-08-06, 8:56pm
Stress Cracked

Hey Kendra, I like your new look!

- Jim
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2005-08-07, 4:36am
Professional Bead Pimp

Suzy, thank you for your kind words and support. I really like helping people and have been told by many students that I'm a good teacher. My dad, brother, and sister are teachers, so maybe its in the genes.

Kendra, I'm not picking on you, its just that I'm not in a very good mood about the Crashing / Hijacking thread. And, I can appreciate you not "taking yourself very seriously", as I'm exactly that way. But, I'm trying to make LE a better place and I just get hassled about it by a couple of members.

Bill

Old 2005-08-07, 5:21am
boro color bender

This thread is fantastic Bill. The box is a great idea... If I had an inside set-up for beads, I'd be bulding on for sure! Those fish were not out of place in my mind. It's your thread and if you want them here, go for it. Those grouper were legal right. I personally like to talk about fishing and fish related subjects any chance I get, but that's just me. The use of a filet knife to cut the foam is great... I would have made a mess with a jig saw. Thanks for the tip!

Old 2005-08-07, 6:18am
Professional Bead Pimp

Hey Brent, flattery will get you nowhere !!

Off to start some new MANLY threads. Lets see, these come to mind..

Fishing trip pictures, chainsaws I lust for, triple deuces on a 1964 Corvette, pictures of my new brakes on my Jeep, male enhancement product reviews, and last but not least, best issues of "Guns and Reloaders"

JUST KIDDING, I wouldn't inflict this kind of stuff on a forum frequented by women, as I am (sometimes) considerate of the opposite sex.

Last edited by BillBrach; 2005-08-07 at 9:01am.
Old 2015-11-07, 4:51pm

Default Many thanks for the photo/instructions

I really appreciate your photo and instructions,( I am just starting out and still need the kiln and the ventilation set up) and was going to use the hot head torch with MAPP gas. I've read so much about ventilation, and locations for setting up a humble "bead station" .....that I've decided to use a wee corner in my garage.....(hoping I don't ruin my car lol)...I have 2 windows in the garage (along one wall, spaced apart), and also have the main garage door.....your system looks very workable for a small space like that, I can put it in one window (the hose exhaust part), while keeping the other window open, and if need be, crack the big garage door open as well.....plus, I have 2 plug outlets right at the windows, between them.

I hope I can set this up in the future, I'm dying to try my hand at making the beads, it looks like such fun and my mind is "exploding" with design ideas

If you have any other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate the advice, one can never have enough mentors with advice, I always say. ~peace
Old 2016-03-30, 12:13pm
Glass-A-Holic ^..^

Talking Thank you!

Thank you so much for posting this! I think I am on my own for creating a new vent hood and this should help me finally get back to using a torch. It sounds as if the bearings are going out in my (air blower?) my husband installed. I am obviously not very mechanically inclined.

Alaina