Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-08-26, 1:55pm

Default How do you do spin ups?

Hey, Ive been imploding for a while now and i can get pretty good dot implosions as well as frit implosions down (havent really worked on flowers because they're more difficult)... Im self taught and i implode with 12-14mm clear simax and i really wanna learn how to do spinups....

I understand the point that you implode it, then get it super drippy hot and punty quickly to the backside of the pendant and twist, but whenever i do it -- it mangles the form of the pendant and i have to spend 5 -10 minutes just heating it to reshape into a nice even circle, but even then the spining sometimes brings the implosion off center

Are there any tips yall can add, any advice, am i doing something wrong?
Old 2008-08-26, 3:10pm
Don't be a zombie...

heat less...stab less...spin slower
Old 2008-08-27, 3:17am
boro color bender

Yeah, just get the heat soaked all the way it, so it all moves... it doesn't have to be drippy... then touch to the center with a cold rod... pull back slightly and rotate one hand faster than the other... it should be a controlled action and you can do it all in the flame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-08-27, 5:23am
ManBearPig

Also, heat just the back of the clear gather. The part where the frit (or dots or whatever) is. You only need to heat what you want to move. Focus your flame on the back for 10 seconds or so, stick a 4mm in there and spin. You don't need to actually stick the 4mm in there deep. You just have to touch the surface. I actually do it out of the flame, but try both ways and do what works best for you. I find it works best to rotate my hands in opposite directions to get it to spin.

Old 2008-08-27, 12:59pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I 'spin' when I do a vortex marble, but what is a 'spinup' ?

Old 2008-08-28, 5:38am
ManBearPig

I call them "spiral implosions", but basically you do an implosion and then spin it so it looks like a spiral.

Here's a couple of examples. Not exactly the same thing, but the best I have:

Old 2008-08-29, 11:16pm

Cosmo, Is there any chance you could do a photo tutorial on your spiral implosions? They look awesome.
Old 2008-08-31, 9:43am
yukue fumei

WOW--cool!

nagi

Old 2008-09-02, 5:29am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk2233 View Post
Cosmo, Is there any chance you could do a photo tutorial on your spiral implosions? They look awesome.
It will be in my book. Should be out by the end of the year. Shooting for November, but may be December.