Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-07-31, 1:17pm
Following my Dream

Default Foot print using Hothead torch

Does anyone have a video, or short clip of a bead foot print being made? As many tutorials that I have read I still can't seem to get a good round bead.I thought that if I could actually SEE a bead being made on the same torch as I do it would help. Everything I've been able to find so far shows the bead in the "ready to decorate" stage. I must have spent half a months time reading and trying to figure it out,Thought I could save time and watch how it's done.
Thanks,
Margie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-31, 1:57pm

I will try to help...Other people please step in...I am not sure how well I can explain this.

This is what I do....I make a one wrap as wide as I want the bead to be...so once for a donut and for a round bead two wraps side by side trying to keep the edges as even as possible....doesn't matter to me yet if there is a bump of glass height wise just that the edge is even where it touches the mandrel. Then I build up wrapping more glass and melting it in using gravity to center the glass mass...once the bead is almost round or the shape I want - I add more glass to the shoulders of the bead and melting in. I keep doing this until the glass is rounder than the edges and there shouldn't be any sharp edges....Using gravity tho to center alot sometimes can over cook the glass...but basically I start small and work up to bigger...

Hope this helps a bit...I had to teach my self too and resorted to buying some videos to help. The Jim Kervin ones are good.

Shauna
Old 2006-07-31, 4:22pm
burnin' glass just becuz

this site has some good free mini videos showing how to make a bead from scratch.

http://www.bearfootart.com/pages/VideoClips.

this one is long but shows a lot of techniques
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...836&q=lampwork

this one is a newbie on a HH
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...079&q=lampwork

hope this helps!

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2006-07-31, 4:32pm
Aim to Misbehave

I almost always have an uneven footprint, which makes it really hard to get an even bead at the end.
Old 2006-07-31, 7:35pm
Following my Dream

Those videos were great. Thanks Evelyn !!
Shauna...you're explaination was very helpful once I saw the videos. Anyone have anymore, the more the merrier.The more I learn!!!
Thanks to all.
Margie

My name is Margie...and I'm addicted to glass...no...to fire...no...to glass...no...
Old 2006-07-31, 8:11pm

I found this http://www.turtlebeads.com/instructi...pworkbead.html

Old 2006-07-31, 8:39pm

hello Margie! i am a new bead person, also trying to perfect the round bead. i found a website with a good tutorial by the bead maker/teacher Jim Smircich. his website and tutorial round bead links are:
www.smircich.com
www.smircich.com/html/round_bead.html

i hope that this will be helpful.
robin
Old 2006-08-01, 6:57am
Following my Dream

Thanks Robin,
I have looked at Jim's website and it actually helped alot,Truley every little bit has helped me bunches! I keep finding little helpful hints here and now I'm addicted to this forum and GLASS...lol
I think we came to the best when we came to this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stay in touch.
Margie

Old 2006-08-01, 8:59am
I WISH I had that figure!

To get a good footprint with "dimples" at the end I make the intial wrap as SMALL and thin as possible. Even try using a stringer to make a wrap. As you add more glass it will "spread' into a nice dimple. If you have a hump where you initally made the wrap, try touching the bead with the hot glass and then slowly pulling away as if you are making a stringer off the bead. You will get a thin tubeof glass which you can then wrap around the bead (like a belt). Melt in and it will spread more evenly. I find that a lot of making the nice round bead is patience. Particularly on my hot head!

My eBay auctions:

Last edited by Carolyn; 2006-08-01 at 9:12am.
Old 2006-08-01, 9:42pm
Following my Dream

I'm starting to get there...maybe a few more stringer control videos and ppp...lol

Old 2006-08-02, 1:18am

I had a similar problem. All my beads were - well... very oddly shaped wobbles - the perfectly round bead just always seemed to escape me.

Then a friend watched me and told me to slow down. I was rotating my mandrel so fast, that I just about threw the glass off the mandrel at time. Since I have slowed down, even I can make round beads . It was one of my (many) "AHA" moments.

I hope this helps a bit. Still working on stringer control.

Old 2006-08-02, 11:26am
Following my Dream

Thanks Sabine,
I will give it a try and slow it down a few licks.

Old 2006-08-02, 5:53pm
Following my Dream

Just wanted to share a good website that you may or may not of seen. I read it several times and it has been very helpful to me (along with the videos recommended). Hope it helps someone else get rounder beads.
http://www173.pair.com/mirish2u/roundbed.htm
Thanks,
Margie

Old 2006-08-05, 8:30am
Moving on!

Hi Margie;
I haven't read all the replies, so forgive me if I'm repeating someone.
I always had trouble making my footprint (I was on a HH, now I'm on a minor). I would make a wrap, and then add glass.
However, if you melt enough glass at the tip of the rod to be the size of the bead you want, get it into a nice ball/pea shape at the tip of the rod, red hot, heat your mandrel and drop the hot glass onto the mandrel, spinning it as you go, you will get a perfect round bead with puckered edges.
Does that make sense?
I have found this method to be fool proof and makes the WORLD of difference. It's also super quick.
Good luck!

- nothing right now.
Old 2006-08-05, 10:00am
Following my Dream

Angela,
Yes it makes perfect sense. I'll try it this evening. I'm getting better, but I still have a LONG way to go. I posted the last beads I did, in the gallery under Hot head Users-What ya got to show. Seems I've been in a "blue" mood and didn't even realize it....lol
Thanks so much for your tips!!
Margie

Old 2006-08-14, 7:43pm
Covered in glitter

PPP. Make 100 spacer beads. You'll have round down to a fine art by the end!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-08-14, 10:26pm

I start with a very small footprint and then each successive wrap gets wider and thicker as I go up. Then as I round the bead off it forms perfect dimpled ends. I do not worry too much about how even the wraps are, I find that as I start rounding, the glass will even out. It is very important not to turn the mandrel too fast, I go slow enough that I can see the glass moving as the mandrel turns. I also find that most of my students have their torches turned up way to high and can't control the glass as it melts.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Old 2006-08-17, 2:12pm
Moving on!

Margie - did you try the method I suggested? Did it work for you?

- nothing right now.
Old 2006-08-18, 12:04pm
Following my Dream

Angela ,
I did it this morning and it works GREAT !!!!! I owe you a big hug!! I can make round beads now...knock on wood (substituted my head for wood). It was the first bead without my signature lubble on it, round and even all the way around...amazing.
Many many thanks!!
Margie

Old 2006-08-18, 8:25pm
Moving on!

You are SO welcome! Glad I could help

- nothing right now.