LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-09-08, 6:46am
Gone Fishing!

Question I need a color recipe for Iris stringers

Hi... I would like to practice some iris flowers but am looking for some good color combos and techniques for pulling Iris stringer. Does anyone have anything that they would or could share with me... Thanks... Holly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2006-09-12, 10:00pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

I don't know why you haven't gotten any replies yet -- I'll try to help, but others in LE are much more experienced in the floral department, so hopefully they will correct or add to whatever I post.

The very few times that I made stringers for making irises, I used a home-made optic mold. The home-made mold just made it easier to get a fluted gather of glass to lay the contrasting color in to the flutes (between the ridges).

I tried something like periwinkle as the base with dark transparent amethyst for the stripes.

Another one was one of the dark opaque golden yellows with a transparent amber for the stripes.

Just look at photos of irises on the internet and match glass colors to what you like. I used the concept of opaque base glass with transparent contrasting stripes. (Using the transparent for the stripes gives more dimension and color shading as you lay down your petals.)
Old 2006-09-12, 10:11pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

Oh, I see now that you are looking for technique as well.

Try taking a full rod of your opaque base color and heat the end to about an inch. Using a contrasting transparent color of stringer, lay the stringer down the length of that 1 inch of heated base rod. Lay down stripes of stringer, hopefully six lines worth separated by base color. Heat and pull into a stringer.

A way to sculpt your base rod in order to keep the lines of stringer separated is to use your pliers on the heated rod and pinch six evenly-spaced ridges down the length of the 1 inch of heated base rod. That gives you an easy way to lay down the contrasting transparent stringer and keep it separated by the base color. Heat and pull into a stringer.
Old 2006-09-14, 3:21pm

Hi Holly Girl!!!

Miss you!

Take a peak at this: http://www.schermobeads.com/tutorials/iris_tutorial.htm

Old 2006-09-14, 9:18pm
Miss my BoBo Griff

Hi Holly!
If ya come over I'll show ya!!
chris ann
Old 2006-09-15, 4:53am
Gone Fishing!

oh no no no.... thank you everyone for your responses. I have the technique, Rocio showed me that.. I was just looking for 104 or 96 color combinations that people like. ~Holly

Old 2006-09-15, 7:12am
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Young
oh no no no.... thank you everyone for your responses. I have the technique, Rocio showed me that.. I was just looking for 104 or 96 color combinations that people like. ~Holly
White with rubino is pretty. I think Rocio uses that in her book.
White with lapis is nice.
Periwinkle and dk amethyst.
Periwinkle and white.
Perwinkle, lapis, white.
Dk yellow and white.
Dk yellow, amber trans. and white.
Coral and white.
Red and white.
Red and medium amethyst.

That's just a few that are good to start with. I've found that some clear stripes added to an opaque center or added to a combination of a couple opaques will give you some more "delicate" looking colors. Solid opaques with opaque stripes give stonger colors. Dk. transparents can end up looking black when pulled into small striped cane and used as flowers [I don't like that effect]. I'm not the most experienced person when it comes to combinations. I'm hoping this helps you and that it keeps this thread going. I'd love to know what people are using for the apricot colors that I sometimes see in flowers.

J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2006-09-17, 6:42am
Gone Fishing!

Talking

wow.. thats exactly what I was looking for! Great color combos! Anyone else have any they would like to share? ~Holly