LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-10-08, 5:44pm

Default Torch Position

Hi,
I just finished setting up my lampwork studio! I have a Minor Torch and really love it. I had the guys at Arrow Springs mount the marver on it for me. I secured the torch with a c clamp and it seems to be very secure. I have a question about the position of the torch. My problem is that when I am trying to wind of a footprint, it's not touching down on the mandrel the way it should be. I know that this sounds strange, but I think that it has something to do with the angle of the torch. Can anyone please tell me what angle if any is recommended and at what angle your torch is?
Thanks,
Pam
Old 2006-10-13, 9:24am
cam@velocity.net

Have you tried raising the torch UP? I know when I did my setup and my sister’s too, that getting the torch at the right height was the biggest factor for comfort. I'm NOT talking about raising your table but the actual torch itself. If you feel like you want to put your elbows further back than your table will let you, you need to raise the torch up. You could screw your torch on to a piece (or pieces) of scrap wood and then use vice gripes for securing the wood on to your table (or do whatever works!). For fire protection you could cover the wood with up pieces of aluminum sheet. OR you could just use something other than a piece of wood. I saw a picture of Corina's torch and she used a piece of Styrofoam. If your torch isn’t comfortable to use, KEEP trying different things until you get it so that it is. You don’t want to be spending lots of hours contorted into a position that is uncomfortable for you. It’s bad for the body and a total motivation killer!!

Candy
Old 2006-10-13, 9:29am
Shine your bright side!

I think I like my torch in a weird position. I like the torch angle slightly lower than most, enough that I have to attach the torch marver with the raised edge on the farside away from me, tipped downward slightly toward the torch head.

I agree with Candy...ya gotta find your comfort zone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2006-10-13, 12:45pm
Missing presumed fed

Find what you like. You can adjust the angle of the torch head. It's been a while since I worked with a Minor, but I think there's a screw that you can loosen. Just remember to tighten it up when you get the torch at an angle that you think will suit you -- you don't want the torch head slipping when you're in the middle of something.

I even know people who work with the torch clamped to the table at an angle (pointing slightly right or left, rather than straight ahead). Whatever works, more or less.

Can't say I like the Styrofoam idea, unless it's covered with something non-flammable. Styrofoam + hot things = nasty toxic fumes = yuck.