Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-10-16, 4:33pm
over the moon space cadet

Default Pihrana and Oxycon??

Is it possible to run this torch on a 5lpm concentrator??

I have tanked oxy, but just recieved my torch and want to play!!!
What would be the recommended oxy Lpms for that torch.
Next, I'm upgrading my concentrator or getting a generator, but if anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it!

(Just too impatient to wait until tomorrow to get some tanked oxy and only have a hundred lbs of oxy left or so, so if I could play tonight with my new torch and mounds of glass I would LOVE to~....lol)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

" We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out. - Ray Bradbury
Old 2006-10-16, 6:47pm

I run my Piranha on one 5 LPM concentrator. I'm sure you could get more fire power out of it on tanked O2 or a generator, but it works fine for soft glass at 4-4.5 lpm.
Love my piranha
Old 2006-10-16, 7:07pm

Kristen,
I'm running my Piranha on 1 5LPM oxycon and having no problems working with soft glass. At some point I want to add another oxycon and then pipe the torch into NG, but until I can swing that this system works fine.
Carol

Old 2006-10-16, 10:01pm
over the moon space cadet

Thanks judi and carol!!
I figured it out myself because I was just too impatient and it seemed from the spec sheet that my oxycon would be fine.
I HAD SO MUCH FUN!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!
I've never made so much stuff so fast - wow. I really WAS overdue for a new torch.
Fantastic flame range, you can really soak heat in super quick and even with a little finer flame, can see doing more than with the minor because of how fast it soaks heat in.
I love this new torch!!!!

(Ever feel sad for your old torch? I am....lol.....used her for 10 years and she served me well - and I'm sure still will, but maybe as a teaching torch. Don't know if I can ever see myself going back to the Minor! Not after making 8 beads in 2 hours - some 1" in diameter. That would've been a much larger feat on the minor!)

" We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out. - Ray Bradbury
Old 2006-10-17, 7:52am
Button Queen

Kristen,

Just curious. What specific oxycon do you have? I know some of the 5lpm models put out more psi than others. And what setting did you have your propane at?
Old 2006-10-17, 4:46pm
Floral Obsessed

I have A 5 LMP oxycon at 8-9 psi (Devilbiss Solaris) on 1/4 psi NG with a Piranha. I get plenty of heat, but the O2 volume is definitely the limiting factor. Still, I can easily work 1" x 2" soft glass beads with 1 oxycon, which is enough to satisfy me! Eventually I plan to get a 2nd unit but 1 is more than enough to have a LOT of fun on! I'm not really adding anything new here, just agreeing with the other posters. -Heather

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons