Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-10-25, 4:03pm

Smile Piranha - Wow!!

Well I Wound up getting a Piranha instead of the Bobcat. I just got my oxycon today and have hooked it up. All I can say is OMG!! What a difference from the HH. I was expecting a larger flame profile, but this thing is FANTASTIC. My oxycon is a Divilbis MC84 and seems to run the torch just fine. My question to those using Paranha's is, How far out in the flame do you typically find yourselves? So far, I've found I can set a neutral flame with candles about 1/4" and simply adjust the Propane to vary the flame. Is this what others do, or what do you with experience on this torch recommend??

Bob

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-25, 7:04pm
Entropy increasing....

Is your's humming?
Old 2006-10-25, 7:41pm

Nope. No humming here. I saw the thread about yours humming. Didn't I see that Bethlehem found a problem with yours?

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-25, 7:43pm
Entropy increasing....

No, I have had it hooked up to other equipment to see if it was my problem and it still hums. Unfortunately, all the torches hummed that we tried at Frantz.

It works fine, though I don't seem to be able to get as much color out of raku.

So far, I prefer using my Minor. Maybe I just don't deal with change. lol
Old 2006-10-25, 8:47pm

Congratulations, Bob. I have a Piranha that runs on NG and a concentrator. I hope you'll be as happy with yours as I am with mine.

It really kicks butt with raku.
Old 2006-10-25, 9:16pm

Kevan, that must have been somebody else I saw that had a problem that Bethlehem found a problem and replaced the head.

Suzanne, So far I love it. I have some raku frit I want to try tomorrow if I get time. I'm just trying to duplicate the beads I have made on the HH to get the feel of the Piranha making the same beads. How do you adjust the fame on yours? Like I said in the original post, I leave the oxy alone and use the Propane to adjust the flame. I did find that I can turn the oxy up when doing stringer work and the extra oxy keeps the rest of the bead from melting down. This was a tip I found on the Arrowsprings site about torch comparisons.

Old 2006-10-26, 6:00am

Bob, I usually adjust the NG and at times need to work farther out in the flame. I do turn everything down when I'm applying stringers. You'll be able to get plenty of heat for your raku. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 2006-10-26, 7:50am

Congratulations on your Piranha Bob!! I went from a Hot Head to a Piranha 8 months ago and LOVE my Piranha. I usually leave my concentrator set at 4 lpm and adjust the propane. For stringer work I turn the propane down to give a small flame that doesn't melt the whole bead . About the only time I adjust the oxygen is to get a reduction flame. Have fun!