Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-10-26, 7:36pm
Oooooh Baby!

Default The Minnow rocks with an Oxygen Generator

Just did extensive testing of the Minnow with an Integra. There was no fluctuation in the flame at all. I tested it with both Moretti and Boro without any problem what so ever. What an absolutely sweet little torch. Love it, love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-10-26, 7:45pm

Do you know how it performs with one oxy concentrator?
Thanks!

Old 2006-10-26, 7:49pm
Oooooh Baby!

Oh, sorry no. I have an Integra and told Scott at Bethlehem that, that's what I'd be testing it on.

Old 2006-10-26, 7:52pm

Ok, thanks, Nancy!

Old 2006-10-27, 9:06am
PyronamixK

The reason for the lack of fluctuation is the concentrator. The Integra10, like the new Regalia, uses SeQual's patented ATF module instead of the standard two-seive bed cannister operation. When you run a standard two-seive configuration with a torch, there will be a slight delay when the unit switches from one sieve to the other. The harder you push the torch, the faster you empty the internal holding tank, and the sooner you will see the fluctuation.

The ATF module made by SeQual is configured in such a way that there is never any delay.

So... did Scott design the Minnow? He was the one who designed the Starfire and I believe the Piranha, as well. The Piranha had an interesting history. It started out as just the centerfire of the two-stage torches. Later, they decided to make a stand-alone small bench burner based on the centerfire design and they named it the Minor Burner. Of course, Nortel was upset about the name, so Bethlehem changed the name to the Bead Burner. A few years ago, Bethlehem changed the look of the Bead Burner and renamed it the Piranha, to fit in with the new fish name scheme.
Old 2006-10-27, 10:55am

Actually, the small bead burner was going to be called the Mini B, but we decided it was too close to the Minor in name, so we changed it. it was never called the Minor Burner! The first generation was released as the Bethlehem Bead Burner, and then several years later, with a new look and new name, it was redesigned and came out as the Piranha. Scott did have a hand in the design of the Minnow, but he didn't do it alone!
Old 2006-10-27, 12:34pm
Oooooh Baby!

I don't know the history of the torches. All I know is that this is one great torch. I'm very please with its performance. I tend not to worry about names. I'm more concerned about the quality of the product. The only person I've spoken to at Bethlehem is Scott. I met him and his wife at the GlassWorks Fire & Ice Gala. Bethlehem was kind enough to donate a couple torches for the new studio and I was very, very happy to try them out and test them. It's a great torch to teach with. Oh, it's also very quiet, which I found amazing.

Old 2006-10-27, 1:01pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelady
Actually, the small bead burner was going to be called the Mini B, but we decided it was too close to the Minor in name, so we changed it. it was never called the Minor Burner!
Are you sure about that?
Old 2006-11-03, 4:26pm

Well, that was before my time! But that's what they told me when I asked....
You are a wealth of Bethlehem trivia though. I always enjoy it! Meanwhile, the SS Minnow page went up today. If you're looking for specs (or binkster, looking for typos...you are our greatest proofreader!) go to: http://www.bethlehemburners.com/minnow.htm. Have a great weekend, all...
Old 2006-11-07, 12:28pm
PyronamixK

Oh, Marci, I didn't go to the site looking for typos. Someone had posted that Bethlehem stated the flame width of the Betta was 2.5". Since this is close to the flame width (shoulder) of a GTT Delta Elite and much larger than the flame width of a Bethlehem PM2D and because the flame width of the Bettas I have seen/run were closer to 3/4", I went to the site to see for myself that this was the actual claim that Bethlehem had made and not a mistake made by the poster. Sure enough, that was the claim. While I was there, I saw some other measurements that were off. I see that all of those incorrect measurements are still there (as well as others throughout the site that I have not brought to your attention).

I notice that there are no flame measurements posted for the Minnow. Maybe once a few of these are out, someone can update us.

You know, there are some things that need to be proofread and corrected. Flame measurements is one of them. How many people base their purchase decisions off posted specs? Quite a few, I would say. So, when a company claims that their torch produces a 2.5" flame width, when in reality, it produces a width of less than 1" (huge difference) and then leaves it uncorrected after the error had been kindly pointed out, I would naturally call into question all of their claims.

As for the Bethlehem "trivia," I find the evolution of all sorts of things interesting and thought I'd share it with anyone else who might be interested, as well (fellow tool/torch junkies). I did get my "Scotts" mixed up earlier, though. "Scott" designed the Starfire and "Scott, Jr." designed the Minnow.

To answer earlier questions about this torch's performance with oxygen concentrators...

According to the posted specs (and I am qualifying this by saying that this is the information posted by the manufacturer, not information that I have gathered from testing it myself), this torch consumes over 9.4 LPM (for comparison, the Minor consumes 7 LPM and the Bobcat less than that) for it's maximum flame. The manufacturer also recommends that this torch be run at oxygen pressures no less than 6 psi. So, I would say that a single 5 LPM unit might not be very satisfactory, unless you are making small soft glass beads (7-8 LPM might be a better range for soft glass work - but that is just my guess). I would suggest two 5 LPM units that put out 6 psi or greater or a single 10 LPM unit that puts out 6 psi or greater.