Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2014-08-30, 7:14am
addicted to dichro

Default Dichroic Glass: Basics, Secrets and Creative Techniques Tutorial

I use dichroic glass in almost every bead I make and get a lot of questions about working with dichroic glass so I've wanted to do a tutorial for a long time. Unfortunately it took me over 2 years but it's finally here now! My hope for this tutorial is to save you money, both in burned dichro and by giving you a better idea of what kind of dichroic glass you want to work with before you purchase it.

It's available over at Etsy and is $9, coincidentally about the same price as a ounce of dichoic glass.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2008693...ichroic-glass?

Here's the info on it...

Dichroic glass: the glass that can be responsible for the most brilliant eye catching sparkle... or an expensive sooty gray waste of glass. It's a favorite among fused glass artists, but it's a shame that many lampworkers shy away from it.

The goal of this tutorial is to teach you how to avoid burning your dichro and to discuss colors and types of coatings that are trickier to use than others. It also offers many creative ideas on how to use dichro. I'm hoping that this tutorial will be a help to those who have never worked with dichroic glass, to those who have used it and been unhappy with the results, or for those who are simply looking for creative new ways to use it. This tutorial also offers tips, ideas and inspiration to work with it in an "out of the box" way.

My intentions for this tutorial is to give you a lot better idea of what types of dichro you want to purchase to start out with after reading this, hopefully saving you a lot of money.

I do not cover dichroic on copper or how to use loose dichro flakes intended for painting, as both the techniques to use them and the intended achieved finished look are quite different. This tutorial is for working with dichroic-coated glass. I work with a hothead mainly, but have also worked with dichroic glass on oxygen propane torches. Though hotheads may be advantageous for working with dichro because of the cooler flame, any torch is fine as long as you are proficient at adjusting the torch to a fairly cool flame.

This tutorial is 18 pages long. The file has been compressed to save on download time.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2008693...ichroic-glass?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-07, 7:10pm
What was I thinking?

Default Thank you, Mandy...

This is a thorough tutorial with lots of detailed instructions and illustrations. Thanks so much for this tutorial that demystifies dichro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-11-01, 12:29pm
addicted to dichro

Thank you for your feedback and kind words Gretchen!

Old 2015-03-09, 12:49pm
FIRE!!

@mandyjw it is sold out, are planning to put more in your etsy shop soon?
Old 2015-03-09, 5:18pm

coming up as sold out too.

can we still buy this? I'd love one

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2015-03-10, 10:32am
addicted to dichro

Just renewed the listing, sorry about that!

Old 2015-03-12, 11:38am
FIRE!!

Thank you!!!!!