Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-09-21, 8:55am
Temptress

Default OG20 & Cheetah advice please

Hi,
I'm thinking I really need (read want really bad) to upgrade my Lynx to a Cheetah. My first question is will an OG20 run a Cheetah to full or near full capacity? And second, I'm not sure if I want to be talked into or out of it - can you think of any good reasons to/not to upgrade? My beads keep getting bigger and longer...
Best,
Julie
Old 2006-09-21, 10:45am
PyronamixK

From what we (Willy from GTT and I) saw at the Gathering in 2005 (Louisville, KY), the OG20 did not run the Cheetah at 100% (full capacity) but it was just fine for soft glass.

Pam Dugger would be the ideal person to ask, since she runs her Cheetah on an OG20.

We ran a Regalia on a Cheetah at this last Gathering and watched as one artist made two 25mm boro beads in about 15 minutes. I would think that you could do the same with the OG20.
Old 2006-09-21, 10:49am
Temptress

Hmmm....Guess I should have mentioned I am working soft glass only....Do you know what capacity the OG20 can run the Cheetah at?
Thanks,
J
Old 2006-09-21, 10:53am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage
Hmmm....Guess I should have mentioned I am working soft glass only....Do you know what capacity the OG20 can run the Cheetah at?
Thanks,
J
With soft glass you'll be fine. I run mine on 2 Millenia (5LPM ea @ 9PSI) and I make BIG beads. No problems whatsoever and I get a pretty good flame size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-09-21, 1:52pm

Okay, Cheetah and OG20. For me it's perfect. I do not get the top end of the Cheetah's capabilities, probably 75 to 80 percent, I would guess. I normally didn't use the top end that much, so it's been an easy switch for me. It was just a matter of slowing down a little when I normally would have turned up the heat. There is nothing I could do on the Cheetah on tanked oxy that I cannot do now. The purity of the oxy is fantastic. I never get reduction unless I dial it in, so I am happy about that. I love the torch and the generator, if that helps.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-09-25, 6:08am
Temptress

LOL I see no one is trying to talk me out of it I make beads similar to the size Shawnette is showing and long skinny beads, too.
Is there a preferred place to get a Cheetah from?
Thanks again for all your help.
Best,
Julie
Old 2006-09-28, 11:37am
Bead dazzled

Pam, how do you connect the one output of the OG-20 to the Cheetah? I have trouble visualizing how all the hoses connect. Can you use a foot pedal somehow?
Old 2006-09-28, 1:48pm

The Cheetah only has an oxy hose and a propane hose going into it, so it's no problem. I just took the hose off the tank and put it on the OG-20, as well as I remember. You get an adapter with it so that the hose fits.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2006-09-28, 5:06pm
Hummel factory reject

Hi, I have an OG-20 and cheetah combo too. The OG-20 runs the cheetah at about 80%. I use it for boro and soft. I make some very large beads, especially in soft glass and the cheetah is great for these! I also use a lynx and I like the lynx for more detailed beads and more delicate touch. The cheetah has a larger flame that keeps things nice and warm and makes shaping big beads sooo much easier. You can dial it down for a detail flame but just not to the fine extreme you can with a lynx. The OG-20 is a nice generator a real work horse. Hope this helps. Lori

Old 2006-10-02, 11:14am

Quote:
how do you connect the one output of the OG-20 to the Cheetah? I have trouble visualizing how all the hoses connect. Can you use a foot pedal somehow?
You could use a pedal on one. But being that its only a single stage torch. It would not be as convienant as on a 2 stage torch. Were it can be used to turn the outer stage on or off with.
You would have to have a pedal with bypass valves that allow you to set it to have a pilot flame when the pedal is off.

Other wise you would still have to keep relighting the flame when ever you turn your torch back on.