LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-09-24, 4:11pm
I think I could be a bead

Default I know that this is a stupid question, but...

I think that I am ready to start making sets of beads. I have hit a brick wall, again, because my imagination seems to limited when it comes to making sets of beads. My question is: What determines a set of beads for you? Is it the color? Is it the shape? Is it a mixture? Is it what you have seen before? Is it wiser to mix the types of beads in one set? How about color? Are sets made up of more than one color? I have looked at a lot of bead sets, but I just can't seem to make one come together. I'd sure appreciate your input. Thanks.
Mallory
Old 2006-09-25, 12:49am
Goddess

My definition of a set is pretty simple. Sets are a grouping of beads that fit together. When you look at all the separate pieces they form a whole. A focal forms a whole all by itself, in a set, each bead is a small piece of the whole. You can use varying shapes, colors, sizes, design patterns, etc. to make the statment you are trying to make with the set. Or you can make each bead exactly the same. There aren't any rules other than that the beads "work" together. People typically buy sets so that they can make co-ordinating pieces of jewelry. Necklace with matching earrings, etc.

If you have trouble thinking in sets, maybe you're a focal maker. Not everyone is good at sets so if they don't feel natural to you, if they don't flow, maybe that's not what you are meant to make.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-09-25, 12:57am
Entropy increasing....

Some people make a set that's all alike, some make all the same colors, some make beads that just go together (I'm thinking the lovely Amy Trescott here).

A set of beads is whatever you want them to be.

Personally, I would never have the patience to make a set of beads that are all the same, but that is probably just me.
Old 2006-09-25, 3:57am
I'm a lilac!

My answer is very similar to Teresa's; for me, a set of beads is a small group or collection that just "feels right" together. I often make seven or eight identical beads and call it a set; other times the beads will be the same colors but decorated differently; sometimes the designs will be the same but the colors different; sometimes all they will have in common is a certain "feel".

Old 2006-09-25, 1:21pm
StudioMarcy

Everyone does them differently, but if you have to jump into the deep end somehow, why not start with this "recipe"? Pick 3 colors that go well together. Make two sets of pairs that match. (Each pair) then with your remaining three beads, make them with the same three colors but different shapes from your pairs. They would look nice in between the pairs when you wire them up to sell. So it would be like: -- xomomox--. That leaves the outside "pair" as potential earring pair material too.

Once you've made this set, you have gotten your feet wet and you can see what you like and what you don't like and then commence with your own choices.

If you are stuck as to what colors to use, pick a favorite fabric in your closet for inspiration.

Good luck,
Marcy
Old 2006-10-01, 1:31pm
First star on the right..

Marcy gave a great starting point. I usually make a focal... then the others in the set are sets, two of each of whatever I decide to do. That way.. It balances out if they want to use them all in one piece, or they can break it up and have earrings, etc.