Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-10-01, 6:47am
one day at a time

Default Bobcat question - how low can I turn down the flame?

I want to use less heat for certain things and I read somewhere that this torch can be damaged if turned down low, and only experienced flameworkers can do it properly. What do they mean by that?? I think I read that in the instructions that came with my torch.

I don't want to turn it down real low, but to an oxygenated pinpoint, or the best that I could do with a Bobcat. I'm aware that this wouldn't be the kind of pinpoint that the Lynx could achieve. I can't WAIT to get my hands on a Lynx! I think that would be the perfect team - Lynx and my high-pressure generator. (it puts out 15-18psi and is a bit of overkill for the Bobcat!)

I want to do this to keep from frying and discoloring pink and ruby gold frits, plus keep pixie dust from discoloring. I can work out further in the flame too, but I would like to know what kind of low flame is safe for my torch.
Old 2006-10-01, 8:04pm
PyronamixK

The Bobcat is a standard torch. So, any flame setting that would damage a Bobcat would damage any other standard torch. And, conversely, if it doesn't damage another torch, it should not damage the Bobcat, either. But it takes a lot to actually damage a Bobcat. You may carbon it up, but to really damage it would require some abuse.

If you want to get a small flame, pay attention to your candles. The shorter they are, the less tips you want them to have. For a nice, neutral flame, you want your candles to be 1/4"-3/8" and have small white/yellow tips. If you need an oxidizing flame, either add more oxygen or cut back on the propane. If you want a small flame, and are running your candles 1/4" or shorter, be sure that they do not have any tips on them at all.

Also, you don't want to sit on a small flame for long periods of time - on any standard torch. Use a small flame for a while, then adjust it to another setting, then go back to the small flame. If you sit on a small flame for too long, it will start heating up the face of the torch and can cause center tube erosion. I have written about that elsewhere if you're interested in that phenomenon.

Also, on any torch, you do not want a lazy flame that bends upwards close to the face of the torch. You want enough thrust to push that flame off and away from the face. Now, you don't have to push the oxygen hard to get` that thrust. I remember reading before that you get a flower-pattern flame on your Bobcat. That is from using too much oxygen - so much that it distorts the flame. You definitely don't have to push it that hard. It's not hurting it, but it's just not necessary.

Don't be afraid to just sit with the torch and play with the different flame types you can get without glass in front of it. It can be good to just experiment and see the range your torch has.