Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-02, 5:07am
Does my glass look 2 big?

Default Would mixing these two Bead Release brands work?

I have used Foster's Tuff for a while, Fosters original before. The last batch I coated as soon as I got them close to the torch they cracked lengthwise. All of them, a full dozen!

I had bought a jar of Dip and Go Blue sludge. Works wonderfully at the torch but a PITA to take the beads off the mandrel.

Foster's coated mandrels come off so easily!

So I am wondering if I mix these two, do I get the best of both? That would be awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-02, 5:33am

I have three different kinds mixed together now.. works great! BOM, Fusion and some other type I cant remember the name of.

Give it a go!
Old 2008-10-02, 6:47am
Corgi Cult Member

My favorite release ever was mixed in desperation when I was running out. I mixed every left over and disliked release together I had and it was fantastic. Not a pretty color though! LOL!

Old 2008-10-02, 6:56am

LOL
Sounds like I can mix all I want!

Thank you to both of you!

Old 2008-10-02, 8:36am
Ad astra per aspera

I've had trouble with the Smooth & Tuff. I'm back to my original mix...roughly 1/2 Fusion and 1/2 Foster's original, with a splash of heavy duty (2 sample jars) thrown in.

Robin Foster (the creator) had said NOT to mix the Smooth & Tuff with anything else, but I don't know why.

Old 2008-10-02, 8:47am

interesting... maybe someone knows why? I still haven't mixed anything yet!

Old 2008-10-02, 11:02pm
Glass-aholic

do a sample test batch in something small like a baby food jar!
If it works... you can do more
I know there are recipes of fav and fab mixes of sludge with this or this with that.. I was just thinking about this too! I got my sludge plus in the mail yesterday, and I thought I got the FF extra strength. humm oh well.. LOL but I thought about mixing the rest of my S&T with some sludge

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-10-02, 11:17pm
Mad about Glass

Fusion always cracked on me so I mixed it with Smooth & Tuff and that was OK. My BOM has been OK since January but has now started cracking also, so I have mixed the 3 together with no problems.

Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-10-03, 7:48am
Lover of all things color

Whatever it was that I got with my hothead started getting low and I mixed kiln wash with it and loved it. I kept doing that when it got thick or low and love it for the longest time.

Now I have all kinds of bottles and when they get low I'm going to mix them until they are gone. They all have to be pretty close to the same thing. I figure as long as they are all flame dry they will be fine together. Keep like types together.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-10-03, 7:48am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I never said not to mix it with anything else. (?) If you are going to mix it, then Fusion is the best to mix it with. The cracking problem is usually caused by not enough water in the bead release.

There are at least half a dozen bead release trouble shooting threads out right here on LE and another dozen on how to remove beads from mandrel if stuck.

I could also add not to mix bead release with water that has been "softened" by a house water softening system. Any bead release, not just FosterFire. I could also add that you have to shake your bead release well before each time you use it (any bead release) and not just a quick stir.

Last edited by FosterFire; 2008-10-04 at 6:44am.
Old 2008-10-03, 7:57am
Does it come in purple?

I gotta say, Foster Fire is my favourite bead release.

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2008-10-03, 8:54am

FF and FF Smooth and Tough is all I have ever used, never had a problem before! I will add a bit more water and see if the cracking stops, even though I think it has enough, it's drooling down the mandrel at this point, just by adding water little by little and seeing if that worked.

I don't have a water softener I did read that I shouldn't add it. I just use bottled water, I figured it would be ok.

I just happened to have a jar of Blue Sludge given to me and thought maybe I'd mix them and see if the cracking stopped.

I realize there are several threads out there about bead release, I did do a search. Just didn't find a lot about mixing and if mixing any with any was still OK.

So I hope it's OK I asked......

Old 2008-10-04, 6:44am
SCIENCE Teacher!

It's always ok to ask! If your bead release has changed to the consistency of milk and even letting it dry out a bit doesn't get it to thicken up then it may be ruined. I used to live in Phoenix and ruined a jar by leaving it in the car in summer. I did some testing and found that excessive heat will change the bead release forever. If that's what you have then it's all over except the funeral.
Old 2008-10-04, 7:12am

ooooooooh that could be it!
I do live in San Antonio, TX. I see you are in Wylie so you know.
My studio is a metal building that although insulated I still don't run the AC all the time, it gets pretty toasty in there.

Thanks!

Old 2008-10-04, 7:45am
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
It's always ok to ask! If your bead release has changed to the consistency of milk and even letting it dry out a bit doesn't get it to thicken up then it may be ruined. I used to live in Phoenix and ruined a jar by leaving it in the car in summer. I did some testing and found that excessive heat will change the bead release forever. If that's what you have then it's all over except the funeral.
Do you think that's what happened to my smooth n tuff? i didn't torch for a while and it dried out to clay consistency. i added tap water (no water softener here) but the mix won't blend it just remains separate. the majority of the bead release now sits like cement on the bottom of the jar and the water on top is cloudy but too thin to coat a mandrel...

i didn't leave it in my car, it's been in my studio out of direct sunlight and the summer here wasn't very hot at all... help?

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-10-04, 8:10am

Default did I hear or

read that you can add some crushed firebrick (grog) to thin or weak release and maybe help it that way? the grog would have to be fairly fine, almost powder, to work well.

???Bo
Old 2008-10-04, 10:35am
Glass-aholic

Evelyn try putting it in a blender if mixing then shaking does not work.
Also put wonky beads in the bottom of the jar to shake it up.

this should bring it right back to life if it has not been heated.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: