Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: How many soft glass colors do you have???
1-20 32 5.62%
21-40 67 11.78%
41-60 71 12.48%
61-80 60 10.54%
81-100 80 14.06%
101-120 43 7.56%
121-140 34 5.98%
141-160 28 4.92%
161-180 21 3.69%
180+ 133 23.37%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-11-24, 9:40pm

I have a kbizzzillion!!!!!
Almost that any way.
More coming!!!!!
Bill T.
Old 2007-11-25, 8:47am
Sparkle Strumpet

I'm not going to count...but I have all the Effetre, most of the Bullseye, and some of the Lauscha, and some Double Helix....and something else I don't know the name of....

but, I want more.....

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-11-26, 11:25am
Meg*

Hey newbie here. If anyone thinks that they may need to clean out there glass or that they have to much...Feel free to PM me. I only have a handful of rods.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Stuff 3/23
Old 2007-11-26, 11:47am

Hi Meg, so you have caught the bug to huh? Have you posted in the Secret Santa List yet? You post your wants and if someone has it and wants to send it they do. I asked for a couple of impossibles but hey why not it's a wish list!!
Old 2007-12-07, 11:35am
sea change and loving it!

Hi..
im the same as meg...ive got mine in jars, but its not alot.
I learned to lampwork in NC while on a teaching exchange....
and if i still lived there...id probably buy glass rather than groceries!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but I do the "ooo, thats a nice coloured bottle...I'll make beads from that."
I know all the bartenders at the resorts and im always asking...."when that bottle is finished, yep the nice blue one, can I have it??? would you save it for me pretty please???" (they think im strange, but thats okay)
just made lovely spacers from Bombay Saphire Gin bottles...a very light transparent blue, and some light transparent olive spacers from wine bottles.

I cant imagine walking in a glass shop and not coming home with a car load of glass!!!!!....
mmmmmmm, probably why DH brought me to live on an island.....its further from the store!!!!LOL!!!!!!
Old 2007-12-07, 8:24pm

Oh My Gosh! I don't come even close. I have maybe 20 colors in full rods and thats counting the ones that I only have one rod of too. I'm just going to have to sell all of hubby's toys so I can get more glass.LOL!

My Facebook
Old 2007-12-08, 8:45pm
Rare Florida Native

Thanks for making me think about just how much glass I have - not counting the boro.........

Old 2007-12-11, 3:40pm

there are drugs for this!
Old 2008-01-28, 12:10am
It's all about the color.

I quit counting when I hit 200 but there were still more to count.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2008-01-31, 7:08am

Wow people have a lot of colors I have around 20-30 colors...

# M 114
Old 2008-02-01, 4:35am
as in the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
ROFL!!! I feel your pain! I have lots of shades of yellow and orange. Do I use yellow and orange? No. But I have a lot of it. I helps me to sleep at night knowing that if I EVER need yellow and orange, I will have it. There is probably a name for this particular illness.
AMEN!!

I have tons of tools, books, videos/DVDs, glass, frit, foils, wire, etc. I've had some of them for 2 years, and have never opened them. BUT, I like knowing that when the temptation strikes to use something, I have it (provided I can find it...that's another illness all around....). I'm very much instant gratification. I get the idea and I want to do it NOW. If I have to order it and then wait for it to get here, and then if I don't hear UPS and they hold it hostage for days....yeah. By then the moment has passed, and sometimes I don't even remember what it was I wanted to try.

I can't count the colors I have at the moment (some glass is 1 1/2 hours away, some in my apartment....) but I'll be willing to bet 160+.

-Amy
Old 2008-02-01, 7:51am
StudioMarcy

I collect the coral glass #420. I have more of that stuff and hoard it. I use a little of it sometimes and so sparingly. Don't know what it is about it.

Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2008-02-02, 4:43am
as in the state

Marcy, you're not the only one.

By the time you count odd lots and such...we're talking TONS of colors, really.

How many colors does Effetre make?

-Amy
Old 2008-02-02, 11:00am

Apparently I NEED more glass. I only have about 50-60 colors and 2 rods of boro. Most of my colors are 1/4 lb or less.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2008-02-19, 12:04pm
da General

I won't tell you how many I have but can tell you that just silver glass alone I have 70 different colors including odds!!! YIKES!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-02-19, 7:20pm
Glass-aholic

wow I probably only have a stock of 120-140 colors BUT I have a bunch of colors that I have only one or two rods of, they count right...lol

we should do this about frit and twisties too!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-19, 7:20pm
Glass-aholic

Omg Hayley!!!! Really!!!! Wow

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2008-02-20, 5:18am
as in the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I won't tell you how many I have but can tell you that just silver glass alone I have 70 different colors including odds!!! YIKES!!!
There are THAT MANY silver colors?

Alrighty....I think we're gonna have to make her list them! Odds included!!

After all, we all have our wish lists, right?

-Amy
Old 2008-02-20, 12:38pm
too many rods in the fire

Default Glass ho in training??

OK so I have been torching for just over 9 months, and I have almost 100 colors! I think that officially qualifies me for at least having Glass Ho tendencies...

So my question to all you experienced folks is this: other than Effetre (which is mostly what I have, along with a little bit of Lausha), what other 104 COE glasses do you like, and why? Compatibility with Effetre is my preference for obvious reasons! I have tried several types of frits and just ordered some double Helix (can't wait for it to arrive!), but as far as other types of soft glass, what "brands" do you like best? And who makes the best reds, purples, pinks? I love EDP but it IS a bear to work with! And so far I am not totally thrilled with any of the reds or pinks in Moretti (Effetre)...

Any input is greatly appreciated!! After all, I will need to buy more glass soon, so I can continue to earn the right to the "glass ho" name.

Old 2008-02-20, 4:05pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Phantom View Post
There are THAT MANY silver colors?

Alrighty....I think we're gonna have to make her list them! Odds included!!

After all, we all have our wish lists, right?

-Amy
I am doing this by memory, so here goes:
Aion, Elektra, Gaia, Kronos 1, Kronos 2, Nyx, Olympia Rain, Psyche, Luna, Terra
Terranova, Khaos, Black Pearl, Botero/Garzoni, Cezanne/Blue Buddha, daVinci I, Hurricane Rumble, Kandinsky, Matisse, Michelangelo/Sasha
Miro/Rembrandt, Monet, Picasso, Rocio/Silver Mist, Sissley, Waterfall, Zeus, Dali/Dalai Lama, daVinci II, Red Clay/Black Cherry/Soft Ruby
Silver Stone, Van Gogh, Black Cherry/Oxblood , Black Nebula

Odds
Translucent Gray, Light Van Gogh, Kronos Odd, Nyx Odd, Aion Odd, R72, C70, C71, C76, H25
T25, T26, H118, H123a, H132BL, K102, K108, K112, A7, A8
A829, A829CR, 902, 910, 910-LST, OLC, LP W/N, B1, B1S, B1+
B1L+, SB, SBL, SB2, SB2.1, SB2/2, SB2/2L, LM Pale, Lo'ihi

I am getting the experimental mystery box from Tag 104 so will have more to play with!

I think I need professional help!!!

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2008-02-20 at 6:10pm.
Old 2008-02-20, 6:58pm
Glass-aholic

don't we all......

maybe there is a prescription...... *frit of the month club soooooo does not count!!!*

Old 2008-02-20, 9:39pm

Default coming and going

I have been reading with interest the lists of glass that folks have, and the numbers are getting bigger and bigger. I feel very deprived!

Don't want to be a party pooper, or bring on buckets of guilt, but.......just curious.

Has anybody worked out the balance sheet, per month or year or whatever.

Glass IN....Glass OUT?
kmd
Old 2008-02-22, 12:52am
aka Bastille Bleu

WOW! Im almost speechless! LOL.

Im in total "awe" of you all! I think at best, I have maybe 20 different colors, if that. After reading everyone's post..... I think I *really* need to go glass shopping. ::
Old 2008-02-25, 10:49am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd View Post
I have been reading with interest the lists of glass that folks have, and the numbers are getting bigger and bigger. I feel very deprived!

Don't want to be a party pooper, or bring on buckets of guilt, but.......just curious.

Has anybody worked out the balance sheet, per month or year or whatever.

Glass IN....Glass OUT?
kmd
Sorta - but don't tell my tax guy.
Old 2008-03-12, 4:10pm
Guera loca

Hi. My name is Barb and I'm a glass hoarder. (Or is that just a glass ho? ... or both?)

After a long period of not buying glass when I was unemployed for more than a year, I've gone a bit nuts with it since I started working again 13 months ago. Last summer, when I finished rebuilding my studio and finally had enough (yeah, RIGHT) glass storage, I was able to finally see it all in one place. YIKES!

There are colors that I like so much that, over time, I probably bought a little more every time I ordered glass. I do use a lot of those colors, but I really went overboard. However, as the dollar weakens against the euro, and as the cost of glass continues to rise, I now think of it as investing in glass futures. Especially with the odd colors that seem to appreciate in value. If my streaky pink is worth a lot now, what will it bring in a few years when other stashes are gone? Same with amber rose, chardonnay, some of the corals, and the other special colors.

If I have learned nothing else in the years I've been buying glass, it's that the color that tugs at my heartstrings today just might not even be there tomorrow, so I stock up when I can. It doesn't spoil, and I've never regretted investing in glass.

Now I just have to find time to melt it more often!!!

Barb

- our restaurant
Old 2008-04-05, 10:47pm
glass junkie

I've just started doing up a spreadsheet with a list of all the colors on it, one color per line... I am going to print it and have the pages laminated, and use them to write notes on in my studio - kiln notes, etching notes, reaction notes etc.

I've been without my torch for nearly two years, and today I pulled my glass out of storage and started going through it. Bliss! It made me sad when I realized that many of my favorite colors in this stash were oddlots and/or aren't available reliably (Vetrofond's Silk and Medium Ocean translucents, and some really stable, salmony coral from maybe 5 years back. Of course I have less than a quarter lb of each, haha).

I'm shocked that I'll be close to 200 when I've finished entering just the rod colors. My husband will kill me, I'm not even a 'career' lampworker
Old 2008-04-06, 4:25am
StudioMarcy

jellibeans, if you decide to sell copies of your list, I'd love to buy one. That's a lot of time you put into it and I know I'd love to have a copy.

If you go into business selling them, could you convo me?
thanks,
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2008-04-07, 4:06am

Here is my Glass storage

Note the boxes (priority) of glass stored UNDER the tubes. That's because I need to cut MORE tubes to fit the addl colors of ASK, CIM and DH I now have as well LOL
Hugs
Lynnie (who isn't cutting ANYTHING with this cranky arm right now! )

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-05-16, 4:31pm
Fire Monkey

Wow Lynnie! I think you have more than our local store!

There's no way I'm going to go count my colors.
I have lots of single rods of colors but I only regularly use about 6 or so.

Old 2008-05-17, 7:27pm
I know, I can't spell

I feel the evil green eye of jelousy... wow... I only have moretti and about 20 colors... hmmm wish I had more glass but that is okay I will just use what I have then if I can buy more.

Soon new stuff