Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-12-07, 9:15pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Default Sharon's Creativity Resource Book

A Resource Book is a very helpful tool, make ya one! And it might come in handy for the Creativity Challenge in January.

This is part of a document I use for my Sculptural Creativity classes - if you pass it out in your classes, please make sure my credit is attached!

CREATIVITY RESOURCE BOOK

Gotta have one!

Have you ever had a long crappy bout of Beader’s Block, where nothing worked, flameworking wasn’t fun anymore, ideas were gone, the old comfortable designs were messing up, you couldn’t even make 5-dot filler beads, and your Well of Joy and Creativity fell into a black hole of ‘I’m not in the mood?’ Here’s something that will help a lot.

You can build your own personal Creativity Resource Book, and toss in all the interesting bits and pieces that catch your attention, ideas and doodles, images and designs. Then when you’ve fallen into the Non-Inspiration Hole, just open your book, close your eyes, jab at random, and make something in glass inspired by what your finger’s on. It’s a great tool and really kick-starts Inspiration. Make one & start to play!

Materials:

3-Ring Binder
Page protectors
Divider Sheets (optional)
White 8.5 x 11” paper
Scissors
Glue Sticks
Lots and lots of Inspirational Images (see below)

Whatcha Do:

Gather and cut out every inspirational thing you can find, glue them front & back of the white paper, and slide it into a page protector. Insert into your 3-ring binder, add divider sheets as needed, and bingo you're done! It's a great way to be productive in front of the tv, and a fabulous place to store all the doodles you've scattered all over the house.

Inspiration Sources:

Just EVERYWHERE! Every place you go, everyone you talk to, every thing you see – there’s always something that you could work into an interesting new design. Look at everything, paying attention to pattern, color, form, and composition. There’s tons of inspiration in your local grocery, ferheavenssake!

1) Take Pictures - Bring a camera with you everywhere – you never know when you’ll see a great pattern on a manhole cover.

2) Carry a Notebook - Write down ideas & doodles IMMEDIATELY!

3) Google - select the images option, type in a subject - you’ll get an amazing mess of pics. Search ‘Nudibranch’ – amazing colors!

4) Fabric samples - stores sell swatch bundles for quilters, great color/pattern combos. Men’s vintage neckties have great patterns, too.

5) Greeting Cards - great photographs, odd ideas, interesting color combos, truly rancid puns. Great card selection at Cost Plus.

6) Food - Look at the patterns on your plate in a Chinese Restaurant. And veggies, spaghetti, sushi, etc. could inspire great designs.

7) Flea Markets – Old designs & patterns on teacups and broken jewelry, the colors in old faded Bakelite, vintage clothes, oddly shaped metalwork – enough at a good flea market for years of play!

7.5) Calendars – buy last year’s calendars in March or April, cheap!

9) Cartooning Books - step-by-step help in doing sculptural beads

10) Children’s Book Illustrations - great animal images

11) Stained Glass Pattern Books - designs simplified!

12) Fractals, Plankton, Microscopic images – google amazing patterns!

13) ‘How-To’ Books & Tutorials – apply new techniques to your design

14) Art History - architectural details, tile design, major resource

15) Dover Pattern & Art Books - material that’s past copywrite

16) Historic Art Styles - incorporate design elements in your work:
Impressionism & Realism, Art Deco & Cubism, Art Nouveau & Surrealism, Pointillism (enamel sprinkles!), Egyptian, Aztec, Mayan, Persian, etc etc.

17) As Ferris Bueller says, 'Look around you... you don't want to miss anything!" Happy idea hunting, and post pictures of your new designs!

Here's a picture from one of my resource books - I've made the burger, it was a great bead, part of the Dead Mickey series. heh heh.

Sharon Peters c 2010
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Last edited by SharonP; 2011-12-07 at 9:18pm. Reason: 8) turns into smileyface, so now it's 7.5). Weird.
Old 2011-12-07, 9:18pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Thanks Sharon! I am definitely going to use this!

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2011-12-07, 9:31pm

What a fantastic idea! Thank you!!!
Old 2011-12-07, 9:42pm
Formerly FishBulb

Awesome idea Sharon, thank you!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-12-07, 11:15pm
Hat or Cake?

Very kind of you to share ideas, thoughts and insights.
Beth
Old 2011-12-07, 11:18pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Cool, it's like the precursor to Pinterest and an iPad.
(not that I have an iPad)

(I used to cut/tear stuff out of magazines...and promptly misplace it.)

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-12-07, 11:36pm
Flame Dames Rule!

But now it'll never be lost again, and when you're out of ideas you can randomly stab and make!

But choose your inspirational pics carefully - I had to remove an Italian Classic Sculpture postcard with dickage because every time I randomly selected, the finger landed on *that*.

Sharon Peters

Old 2011-12-07, 11:38pm
Hat or Cake?

Sure beats the heck out of my shoebox! My recipes are in the same disorder.
Beth
Old 2011-12-07, 11:41pm
Flame Dames Rule!

So are my bills... ack.

Sharon Peters

Old 2011-12-08, 6:34am
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
But choose your inspirational pics carefully - I had to remove an Italian Classic Sculpture postcard with dickage because every time I randomly selected, the finger landed on *that*.
How very Freudian.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-12-08, 8:35am
Experimentalist

I'm so glad you're encouraging others to do this.

Anything worth doing is worth doing in overkill mode. I've got 16 binder inspiration books. I even set a "starter kit" to one of my best friends and customers in Belgium... that's how enthusiastic I am about the concept.

At first I was just clipping pictures of jewelry I admired, but then I realized there were so many other things that inspire me... color combos, forms in nature, design angles... and those things could be found ANYWHERE.

For twelve years I've never had "designer's block"... just an occasional inability to match my desired outcome with my skill level. Ha!

Old 2011-12-08, 2:12pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I love it! I've been making these for years too. I must have inherited it from my aunt who had stacks of them around the house (she was single!) And if you've ever read "Simple Abundance" by Sarah Ban Breathnach (and if you haven't, you should!) she calls it a discovery journal. Time to get them out!

Old 2011-12-08, 2:27pm
I think I could be a bead

Thanks, Sharon, I will use this!

Old 2011-12-08, 7:28pm
Flame Dames Rule!

GO LAURA and SHEILA!

I've only made up 4 books - all the rest of the doodles & pictures & stuff is in 4 big BIG rubbermaid tubs labeled 'Doc & Doodle', 'Doc & Doodle Two', etc.

I love saying Doc & Doodle Two...

I have *got* to get those tubs organized, but I'd probably need two dozen of the largest binders, and I just haven't had the motivation to start. Should have done it when I had the broken leg, duh.

Sharon Peters

Old 2011-12-10, 6:47am
It's all good.

What a great reminder! I started one after your class (in Rochester, NY)... I will definitely get back to it and work on it. I hope I didn't store it in one of those "safe places" where I will never be able to locate it, lol...

Old 2011-12-10, 7:19am
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
GO LAURA and SHEILA!

I've only made up 4 books - all the rest of the doodles & pictures & stuff is in 4 big BIG rubbermaid tubs labeled 'Doc & Doodle', 'Doc & Doodle Two', etc.

I love saying Doc & Doodle Two...

I have *got* to get those tubs organized, but I'd probably need two dozen of the largest binders, and I just haven't had the motivation to start. Should have done it when I had the broken leg, duh.
Ha! Yep. For years, my clippings collected in boxes. It's a great project to sit in front of a Netflix documentary (or Romantic Comedy) and glue and tape for hours.

It's how I keep my receipts, too, but the inspiration books are so much more fun!

Old 2011-12-10, 9:23am

I learned this in art class in high school 39 yrs ago(ouch been that long). I still have the binders too. lol
But never thought of sharing the idea. Thanks SharonP for sharing and reminding me to go back and look at them and continue doing this an making new ones.Now to get my collection of torn , cut papers and fabric out of the shoe boxes.
Thanks for sharing and the reminder !!!
Janet C.
Old 2011-12-30, 10:52pm

Never had any formal design schooling but have instinctively been tearing and saving pictures of stuff in boxes. Have cupboards full in the garage! Now I know what to do with them when I have some free time. Hmm, and therein lies the problem! Thanks for the inspiration and idea. Now if I can just find me some time!

[url="https://www.instagram.com/nohlineartjewelry/]
Old 2012-01-01, 9:51am

Default starting one for New Years

What a great way to start the new year.

Thanks to Sharon for the idea. Glad your a little bit nuts, a lot of bits creative and talented.

Sue and Bootsie
Old 2012-10-16, 3:46pm
Heart of Flame

Thank you Sharon for posting this. I read this idea of yours a while ago and it kept fermenting in my brain until I finally took action. Now I am loving my resource book and I find that it is very inspiring. It has really helped my creativity and now, before I sit down to torch, I look through the book for my ideas!

Old 2012-10-17, 3:04am

Thank you Sharon, from experience I will see something that would make a really nice bead then oldtimers comes and the idea is forgotten.

Old 2012-10-17, 8:53am
Flame Dames Rule!

You're so welcome, Deena! I've been making these books since college, and they're great for Instant Inspiration and a good place to stash all the ideas. Have fun creating!

Sharon Peters

Old 2012-10-18, 8:41pm
Senior Moment

I do something similar with my iPad. I've a photo album of all the pics I've found online, and taken, of all the things that strike my fancy as well as a file of written ideas and hints. LOL the ipad must be the binder of the 21st century!

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2012-10-19, 5:23am

I've done this for years and years. It drives my husband crazy...having all these clippings ready to put into scrapbooks (he calls them crapbooks). I love having them and continually refer to them for ideas.

Sharlyn
Old 2013-02-10, 8:57am
We are all meant to shine

Sharon you rock! Unfortunately all my clippings were damaged due to being stored in a moldy place, but I have started something like this on pinterest and it's great to have everything stored in a digital place for creativity referencing!

Old 2013-04-06, 9:33pm

I highly recommend taking Sharon's class. She is a funny, her classes are so informative. A very creative and inspiring teacher who shares all her techniques.

#W122