Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2008-07-13, 11:56am
pamtees

Default Jellyfish Seascapes Tutorial by Moth

http://www.marylockwood.com/ - This is a new tutorial put out by Moth
and it is excellent! It's loaded with pictures and it is written so that every aspect of making the bead is so easy to understand.

For those of you who have gazed into mary's marvelous beads and wondered how she did it...now's your chance to learn all her secrets. No kidding, she describes beautifully all of the steps to make these beads complete with loads of pictures. She has even included a Glossary at the end.

A quote - "The key to these large, complex focals is preparation. A lot of work goes on behind the scenes before you can start making an actual bead. The first part of this tutorial is a cane-building bonanza. The second part focuses on color theory, composition, and perspective. The third part pulls it all together."

I also put a thread in the Gallery but wanted to put one here where it won't get buried!
Old 2008-07-13, 12:01pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I bought it too and it's amazing. I have always loved Mary's work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-13, 3:27pm

I agree it is wonderful. I am amazed at how thorough it is, well worth the $$$. This one is a winner!
Old 2008-07-14, 7:16am

I purchased this tutorial and it is a beautiful, informative treasure. Mary share's her knowledge generously in the techniques she uses for the jellyfish bead. She also touches on color theory, and the cane-making lessons are themselves are worth price of the tut. I love it and can hardly wait to try her beautiful bead.

Old 2008-07-14, 7:27am
Trying to Hope!

This is an awesome tutorial It gave me soo many ideas for more complex beads Thanks Mary

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-07-14, 8:05am

Just bought it - Can't wait to try it out! Thanks Mary!
Jessica
Old 2008-07-14, 8:31am
Who me?

Wow, just purchased it - how easy was that? And so many tutorials all in one - can't wait to try.

thanks,

Linda
Old 2008-07-14, 12:32pm
Mary Lockwood

Thanks you guys!

It had a bit of a rocky start yesterday, didn't it? LOL

Oh well, everything is completely fixed and officially for sale on my site with instant download. You can click here to purchase in my shop!

I honestly can't wait to see what everyone makes and I hope you post here and share!

Take care!
~~Mary
marylockwood.com

Last edited by Moth; 2013-02-05 at 10:33am.
Old 2008-07-14, 12:48pm
Sucks at being nice

I love the quick download when you buy it. Instant gratification, that's what I'm all about!

Old 2008-07-14, 1:29pm
pamtees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Thanks you guys!

It had a bit of a rocky start yesterday, didn't it? LOL

Oh well, everything is completely fixed and officially for sale on both my site and Etsy. On my site you can direct download, on etsy you have to wait for me to email it to you. Both are paypal integrated.

I honestly can't wait to see what everyone makes and I hope you post here and share!

Take care!
~~Mary

Mary, Remember when......! I knew something was amiss with #8 but I worded my question wrong when I emailed you. Sorry about that! I'm glad it's all better now! I just need to remember to use green trans. instead of clear when I get to that part! Hahaha!
Old 2008-07-14, 1:41pm
Mary Lockwood

Hi Pam! Yep! I did send everyone the corrected file and it is actually opaque green, not transparent.

I'm just glad it's behind us and everything is as it should be now! Nobody has reported any problems since yesterday so that's cool.

Now we can just focus on the good parts. LOL

Thanks again for taking a look at it for me!!
~~Mary

Old 2008-07-15, 12:52pm

Super Tut!
Thanks for making it available to us.
di
Old 2008-07-15, 1:12pm
Sucks at being nice

I spent my evening last night pulling cane. I think I got a little carried away and I have enough for 100 beads. I got way too much glass on the dicro one and had to have my husband stand across the room with one end while I pulled it out. I thought the 1 inch gather meant diameter and that turned in to a uge honkin blob of glass! I had to use almost an entire length of dichro for that baby. One twistie to go and I'm ready for action. I haven't anticipated making a bead this much in a long time.
Thank you Mary!

Old 2008-07-15, 8:17pm
Mary Lockwood

Way to go!! Yes, it is a lot of prep work but the great part is that once you have the canes made, there is enough for lots of beads. If I had to do all that cane pulling for each bead I don't think I ever would have made a jellyfish bead. LOL

Can't wait to see it!!! I think I'm anticipating your bead as much as you are! At least I feel like I am. LOL

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-16, 8:43pm
Sucks at being nice

I just got done with my first one and I have a paperweight in the kiln right now, not a bead. No sane person would wear the hunk o glass that's annealing right now! The tutorial was super easy to follow. I think besides the size issue, and the fact my glass wasn't quite hot enough for the jellyfish, it's going to turn out much better than I expected.

I do want to share a few of my mistakes. First, start out with a pretty narrow bead. It grows beyond expectations. Second, don't use your R4 diamond clear on your first attemt. This baby takes a lot of clear and you don't want to waste all that expensive glass.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Old 2008-07-16, 8:53pm
Mary Lockwood

Hahahahaha, I can sure relate to that.

When I first started making them they were really huge. It takes a few tries to get them sized down and to know what to expect.

The good part is that big is easier to make on these because when you go smaller on them it is harder to see. (I need glasses and I'm in denial.) It's a great start!

Can't wait to see it...you'll be the first one to share!

Did you do any practice jellies (from page 10) before you started the actual bead or did you just go for it?

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-16, 9:03pm
Sucks at being nice

I just went for it. I had my mushroom phase so I'm familiar with that. I've just never tried to insert one sideways in the side of a bead. I think I didn't heat a large enough area. I was afraid of messing up any decorations.

Old 2008-07-16, 9:32pm
Mary Lockwood

Ah, well that's excellent!

Can't wait to see it!

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-17, 12:07am
I speak Murrini!

PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES!

DeAnne

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-07-17, 7:39am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

DeAnne
Yeah...what she said!!

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-17, 8:07pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

DeAnne
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...20#post1963920

Old 2008-07-18, 8:06am
Karen James

I JUST GOT MINE!!!! (The all caps are me happy!)

Mary it is amazing. If anyone is on the fence, get off and purchase this! It is not only informative, it is beautiful.

I have several books and booklets. This tutorial easily puts some of those booklets to shame. It just has so much information, so many pictures and is so well organized. I don't know what else to say.

Wait, I know....make more tut's Mary!!!!

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2008-07-18, 12:08pm
Mary Lockwood

Thanks Karen, I really appreciate that.

Hope you have fun working with it and share pictures soon!

~~Mary

Old 2008-07-18, 12:44pm
Lover of all things color

Just finished pulling my stringers. The jelly was interesting, had to have hubby for that one. I ended up with some that are too small and then about 2 feet that is just right. (does that give you an idea of how big of a blob of clear I had on the mandrel?)

I'm fairly new to pulling stringers so this was great practice for me. AND the using of the clean mandrels makes all the difference. I have tons of great stuff. Tomorrow is jelly day....wahoooooo.......

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-19, 10:09am

The jellyfish seascape bead is in the kiln. Suffice to say that mine is more like a 55 gallon aquarium. It will sit on it's own that's for sure.

I know what I did wrong, when you say that you use a full size rod to encase each time, well mine are 10mm so you can only imagine how much glass that added each time. One jellyfish looks so cool, not sure about the other one. We shall see tomorrow. Can't wait until it comes out of the kiln.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-19, 10:25am
Sucks at being nice

Huge can be good. I figured out mine was the perfect size for a wine stopper. This is one winestopper I will keep even though I don't drink much wine. Hmm ,if it were a tequila stopper I would use it all the time.

Old 2008-07-19, 10:37am
See my quote!!

It's on my to get list. Woohoo!!!

It is really great to have all these tutorials available. Thank you.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-07-19, 11:16am

Wine stopper, er....no, mine is more like a stopper for a maonaise jar! I'll post tomorrow when it comes out of the kiln, that is if I can get it down to 640x640.....LOL

Seriously Michelle, it really is worth it, it comes with instructions for about seven different stringers, that alone was worth the price. It really made me stop and think about how some other things are done.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-07-19, 11:31am
See my quote!!

Jan, payday is next weekend. I can top up the CC then For now I have to patiently wait. Well as patiently as I can

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-07-19, 11:47am

Well, the good thing about these tutorials is that they don't run out....LOL You will love it. Well worth the wait.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con