No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-12-15, 2:45pm
Angie09

Default Has anyone had any experience with this respirator

I'm going to start using a respirator full time and got to thinking there must be something out there that is N100 but more comfortable. Here's something I found. They come in small and med/large. Anyone know anything about them?? They certainly look more comfy than my be gray and pink one.

Old 2013-12-15, 4:57pm
da General

For comfort, I prefer the half mask with replaceable cartridges such as the ones made by MSA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2013-12-15, 5:20pm
Angie09

Any particular one Hayley?
Old 2013-12-15, 6:19pm
CatTickler Extraordinaire

I use a small North 7700 half mask respirator with the pink P100 filter pucks. It is comfortable enough to wear for hours, and works with eyeglasses. Best one in my opinion, and I think it was cheaper than the 5 pack you posted.
Old 2013-12-15, 7:04pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickledkitty View Post
I use a small North 7700 half mask respirator with the pink P100 filter pucks. It is comfortable enough to wear for hours, and works with eyeglasses. Best one in my opinion, and I think it was cheaper than the 5 pack you posted.
Is this the one?

http://www.amazon.com/North-7700-Ser...ask+respirator
Old 2013-12-15, 11:10pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Any particular one Hayley?
It doesn't have the model I got on its site anymore. It's similar to this one:

http://us.msasafety.com/Air-Purifyin...00000200001120

Make sure you get the low profile cartridges - those are smaller and lighter.

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-12-16, 11:38am
CatTickler Extraordinaire

The link for the North 7700 seems a bit expensive, here is a better one:

http://www.amazon.com/North-Safety-7...rds=North+7700

Also, the masks don't generally come with the filter pucks, and I second Hayley on getting the thin ones. I have these ones to work under a clear face shield:
http://www.amazon.com/North-75FF-Pan...rds=p100+north
Old 2013-12-16, 11:55am
Angie09

Quote:

Also, the masks don't generally come with the filter pucks, and I second Hayley on getting the thin ones. I have these ones to work under a clear face shield:
Thanks! I bought one ... can't wait to see if it's going to be comfortable or not. You've all been a great help!
Old 2013-12-16, 12:28pm
Angie09

Quote:

Can I buy the filters at Home Depot or do they have to come from the manufacturer of your respirator?
Old 2013-12-16, 4:14pm

for general info for anyone looking at this thread, if you are planning to wear a respirator full-time when lampworking, you are likely doing it to prevent breathing in toxic fumes. The kind of respirator shown at the top of the thread is a particulate respirator, meaning that it filters particulate matter such as enamels and such out, down to a certain size. It does not filter out any fumes/gases/vapors, etc.

better-fitting, replaceable cartridge masks are required to filter out more than particulate matter. as the poster seems to be getting now.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:
Old 2013-12-16, 5:25pm
Salt Box Beads

A respirator is only as good as the seal to your face that you get with it. I use masks that have silicone face area so I get that good tight seal. You know its a good seal when you feel like it kinda suctions to your face. I like the one below with the pink lightweight pancake filters so they do not impair my vision at the torch too much.
Attached Images

Old 2013-12-16, 5:33pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
A respirator is only as good as the seal to your face that you get with it. I use masks that have silicone face area so I get that good tight seal. You know its a good seal when you feel like it kinda suctions to your face. I like the one below with the pink lightweight pancake filters so they do not impair my vision at the torch too much.
What brand is it Lorraine?
Old 2013-12-16, 5:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
When I worked at the nickel refinery, we learned how to fit test for them. Put one hand over the outlet valve in the center and blow out normally. If it's a good fit, the mask will not leak until quite a bit of pressure has built up inside the mask. Then put one hand completely over each of the two intake vents on the filters (at the same time). Breathe in normally. If the mask "sucks" onto your face without any side leakage, the fit is good.

FYI It's impossible to get a good fit on a half-face respirator with a full beard. You have to shave so that the area where the mask comes into contact with your face is clean-shaven. Not that I've had first-hand experience with this one.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials:

Last edited by silverlilly1; 2013-12-16 at 5:46pm.
Old 2014-01-28, 7:43pm

Ok Im not sure what Im doing....I want to work with silver glass and enamels. do any of these masks work to protect me? also are they used in addition to a vent hood or can I use as my source of protection without a hood? I have great air flow through my studio.....thanks for help.
Old 2014-01-28, 8:20pm

3m makes a smaller size for women
Old 2014-04-19, 12:00pm
Lifelong Student

[quote=bjersbunch;4519242]Ok Im not sure what Im doing....I want to work with silver glass and enamels. do any of these masks work to protect me? also are they used in addition to a vent hood or can I use as my source of protection without a hood? I have great air flow through my studio.....thanks for help.[/

Anyone know the answer to this question?
Also, what brand/type of respirator is mentioned in #11?
I'm just starting to experiment with metals and want to be safe while doing so.
Old 2014-04-19, 12:05pm
Lifelong Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjersbunch View Post
Ok Im not sure what Im doing....I want to work with silver glass and enamels. do any of these masks work to protect me? also are they used in addition to a vent hood or can I use as my source of protection without a hood? I have great air flow through my studio.....thanks for help.

Anyone know the answer to this question?
Anyone know what the brand/type of respirator is that's mentioned in post#11?

I'm just starting to experiment with metals; just want to make sure I'm safe while I do so.
Old 2014-04-19, 1:01pm

A mask such as any of these will not substitute for good ventilation. They will protect your respiratory system from particulates and some will filter out gasses but they do not prevent dust, particles and condensed metals from your torch plume from seriously contaminating your work environment. Use a mask with appropriate ventilation but NOT in place of it.

Robert