LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-07-17, 9:34pm

Default Seriously. How?

Hi all. Soooo frustratung! Please help if you can. How do you get the bead smooth and round after applying murrini? It shouldn't be this hard! Applying rose murrini, add clear dot, press gently. Then, they say to heat, but don't get the bead glowing. If I don't, then it takes eons to get it round. Actually, I have never been able to do it. How long should this take? Am I missing a step? Am I not being patient enough? So, don't marver? I've tried a million times. I just don't see how they do it.
Please, if you can think of anything I'm missing, let me know. I buy murrini, waste it, buy it, waste it. Its not right, I'm so tired of this.
Thank youuuuuuu!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-07-18, 3:40am

Me too!
Old 2016-07-18, 4:46am
Mebmer

I've had limited murrini experience. Perhaps this vid will help: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yDuDL4kLF_8

If not, good luck! The only times I've used murrini was on the surface and enjoyed distorting it. I've yet to experience trying to dot clear over it and work it lovingly into shape lol...
Old 2016-07-18, 7:16am

From my experience, if you want to apply murrini without distortion, you can only apply it deeper in the bead, then build up glass on top of murrini, around it and all around the bead to make it even shape. You can push it down just a very little bit. The more detailed murrini the less pressure on it. If you apply flower murrini that should open and spread a bit, press lightly in the center of the flower to dip it a bit, then apply a drop of clear glass and press a bit the whole flower. This way the petals will spread more than the centre. The thinner the details the easier they distort. I like this video how gently murrini applied https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SREEUkwq-58
Old 2016-07-18, 8:15am
Lifelong Student

For roses i was taught to attach the murrini to the bead, hold the murrini face down so it just touches the flame, press it lightly, add clear dot, hold it upside down just barely in flame, press down lightly. Add another small amount of clear, hold upside down in flame, lightly tap, reheat and tap. Then to finish carefully spot heat a spot on side of murrini and pull down just the outer layer to open up the rise. Work your way aloud the whole murrini. You should end up with a slightly raised rise in full bloom.
Old 2016-07-18, 2:33pm
Slogan Challenged...

Also not to add it to a round bead, have more of a triangle shape instead so there is room for the murrine to encased and round the bead

Pics?

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2016-07-18, 3:11pm
Lifelong Student

Kristin, I had not thought of that...that makes a lot of sense
Old 2016-07-18, 4:51pm
Burning through glass

I almost always use a beadroller tool to get back into round. You have to be gentle, and not have your bead too hot on the surface when you roll it into the shape (might smear it). Hope that helps.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2016-07-18, 5:40pm
Phill

MY thought is to both use a triangular shape before applying the murrini and to give the spot its going to go in a good deep heat so the underlying glass can move out ward.

Perhaps making an indentation with a tool before the above.
Old 2016-07-19, 9:58am

Great tips! Thank you all!

Old 2016-07-19, 3:46pm

Or add a nice layer of clear glass everywhere the murrini isn't.

Though I like Kristin's put it on a triangle bead!!

I'm murrini challenged myself and have made it my 2016 resolution to conquer it.