Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-03-13, 7:40pm
szglassy

Default Critique..Why is it blue?

HI
I just got around to finally shooting some pieces after much information gained from this board. Tthanks everyone!Name:  lampsoreader.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  10.4 KB

Nikkon D70 shot in apeture priority mode F13
shot ourdoors on a very sunny day --my bulbs that came with the kit did not cut it.......too dark.
A black shirt.
The back of the tent was facing the sun.
The backround is a plastic light cover that has texture on one side and smooth on the other.

I shot in several AP settings starting from 11 up to 22.
and 2 in auto and macro, the AP was the best.
Why the blue hue??

Old 2009-03-13, 7:46pm

I don't have a Nikkon, but have you checked the white balance setting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-13, 9:35pm
Entropy increasing....

Set your camera on M for manual and toy with the fstop. Take some pictures at different settings and see how they look. Start around 6 and go up.

Also, if you are outside you might want to set your white balance on shade if you are taking these in the shade which it looks like you are.

The same would go for your photos under the lights. Put your candle on M not A so you can adjust both the Aperture and the Fstop. The Aperture sets how much light is let into the camera and the Fstop or shutter speed is how long the light is let into the camera.

You should be able to take photos that are not to dark by setting your shutter to stay open longer. The aperture sets how much of the photo will be in focus.
Old 2009-03-13, 10:26pm

Your background probably has a color cast to it and the bright sunlight is causing it to bounce off the sides of your tent, giving everyting a color cast. It does clean up pretty well in Photoshop by first doing Auto Color and then tweaking the colors from there to take away the blue. Add a little contrast and other than the blade has to much light reflecting it looks pretty good.

Mike
Old 2009-03-14, 3:20am

hi szglassy. Can't help with the color but like your piece. Where did you get the blade
Bob
Old 2009-03-14, 6:35am
szglassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I'll have to check that today. I thought maybe that might be it.
Thanks for the compliment!
Old 2009-03-14, 6:38am
szglassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jordan View Post
Your background probably has a color cast to it and the bright sunlight is causing it to bounce off the sides of your tent, giving everyting a color cast. It does clean up pretty well in Photoshop by first doing Auto Color and then tweaking the colors from there to take away the blue. Add a little contrast and other than the blade has to much light reflecting it looks pretty good.

Mike
I'm not sure what you mean by color cast. I don't have photoshop, but I do have microsoft Digital image 10. I know the basics,thats it.Maybe you can do this with my program. I'll give it a try.
Old 2009-03-14, 6:40am
szglassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
hi szglassy. Can't help with the color but like your piece. Where did you get the blade
Bob
I have them custom made for me
Old 2009-03-14, 6:58am
szglassy

Name:  retuchsp.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  16.6 KB
OK. Went in and lessened the blue by subtracting the blue. That was in the yellow/blue spectrum.
Then auto contrast ( too bright) then brought ot down a couple of levels.
I'm really looking for a nice grayish/white backround.
I know all about clear glass and it does get a little lost but I really think it looks pretty good for an amateur.

Last edited by szglassy; 2009-03-14 at 7:16am.
Old 2009-03-14, 7:21am
Dichro Addict

You could try changing your background to something darker, like a dark grey. I think it would make the handle easier to see as well. I have had this same problem before. I use a gradient background and I just move my beads up to the darker end of the paper and that takes care of it.

Old 2009-03-14, 7:32am
szglassy

Good idea. I'll have to order one.
Maybe I can put some black paper under the plastic.
Old 2009-03-14, 7:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by szglassy;
Attachment 77948
OK. Went in and lessened the blue by subtracting the blue. That was in the yellow/blue spectrum.
Then auto contrast ( too bright) then brought ot down a couple of levels.
I'm really looking for a nice grayish/white backround.
I know all about clear glass and it does get a little lost but I really think it looks pretty good for an amateur.
I think your picture looks fine.
Bob
Old 2009-03-14, 9:55am
szglassy

Hi Kimberly
I don't mind the edit at all!
I think that you lost the silver detail with that edit.
For me...if something had to be lost,then I would give up the clear part in order to show the shiny metallic detail.
I do have picasa and was not able to accomplish much with that.
The second edit was Digital image10.
Maybe I should find someone on ESTY that could do it for me!
Old 2009-03-15, 8:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by szglassy View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by color cast. I don't have photoshop, but I do have microsoft Digital image 10. I know the basics,thats it.Maybe you can do this with my program. I'll give it a try.

By color cast I mean that your background has a color to it and that color is reflecting onto your knife. If it was a neutral white then the light reflected off of it would be reflected would be white light.

You are going in the right direction with your edit you did but you lost contrast, so you need to increase that a bit to make up for it. There are a number of tweaks that can be done to improve an image, but it isn't a free lunch. Every change you make does something else that has to be tweaked for, which takes something else away. You might be able to fix one problem, but in the process create others that make the image un-useable. That's why it's so important to get the exposure, color balance, contrast, etc., as close as possible when you take the shot. Then if you have to do anything, it's enough to ehance the image but not take away from the quality.

I second the suggestion of getting at least Photoshop Elements, although what you have seems to do a good job at basic editing.

Mike
Old 2009-03-15, 9:15am
I'm a lilac!

I would definitely recommend getting a gray or gradient background; I find that I get the truest colors and have to fuss about in Photoshop the least with a true-neutral gray background, although almost anything turquoise still throws my camera off.

A really great and fast way to color correct your photos is to set the gray point using your gray background, as long as your background is actually a neutral gray. A GREAT way to make sure your background is a neutral gray is to actually shoot your pieces on gradient paper or even gray card, which is quite inexpensive. It scratches and soils easily, though, so I suggest sandwiching it between two pieces of glass (you can have them cut to size at a hardware store, and use binder clips to hold them together... cheap, portable, and works like a charm).

This article may help a lot: http://www.digitalartsphotography.com/instructions.htm

Old 2009-03-28, 1:44pm
Mary Lockwood

I agree with Kalera. The true gray background results in the best colors and exposures for me.

I don't struggle with the turquoise, I do have a problem with red still. But at least with the gray background I have a chance at fixing it- on a white background I can never get it right.

I too would suggest checking your white balance setting if your heart is set on the white background.

~~Mary

Old 2009-03-30, 12:55am
Entropy increasing....

On something that is completely transparent like the handle on this knife, you should use a a matte gray background. If you make the background white, which is easy to do, you stop being able to see the handle. It mostly disappears. The blade is fine, but the handle isn't visible.
Old 2009-03-30, 5:06pm
Unmedicated since '62

hope you dont mind me playing edit too!

here is my edit - middle is with curves adjusted in the blue and green channels and sharpen, the last is full edit (would be better with a higher res image)

i never brighten because it never really looks good

also, invest in some really white colour temperature fluros - its the only way to photo silver - i've been doing jewellery for years (too long i think)
Attached Images

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-04-03, 8:39am
szglassy

Hi Deb....what are " really white temapture fluros" ??
Floresent something...............?

my gradient will be by monday and maybe it will look a little different.
Old 2009-04-03, 9:01am

I think Deb is talking about daylight flourescent bulbs.
Old 2009-04-03, 6:05pm
szglassy

I got my gradient today! I needed a larger size and do not know where to go to get it printed so I just ordered one.

daylight florecents......but at the hardware store or something? Like GE bulbs?? What wattage??

it's going to be a great weekend!
Old 2009-04-04, 2:30pm
I'm a lilac!

Look for "5000k" or "5100k" color temperature... I've seen them at Home Depot, and also you can order them online. Mine are 30 watt.

Old 2009-04-04, 3:55pm
szglassy

Hi Kalera!
I bought some GE Reveal,but would be nice to experiement with 5000

what brand??

i was about to start and my batteries are dead! I could run out now while they are snarging!

Got my grey card and everything set up!

thanks!! for all of the info,after reading up on that I went back to the manual and it all made sense.
Old 2009-04-04, 4:22pm
I'm a lilac!

No idea what brand... not sure it matters, really.

Old 2009-04-04, 5:34pm
szglassy

i just got a whole bunch of bulbs......now waiting for my batteries to cool!
Old 2009-04-05, 6:14pm
szglassy

Well, it did not go as I hoped.
I think that I had better luck shooting outdoors.
Maybe my tent is too big.......24x24 and my lights are not bright enough.

I really was proud of the fact that I learned so much from all of the great tips in guiding me on how to set me camera settings,various backrounds,and WB settings.
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH EVERYONE!
well here is the best from last nightName:  acheese.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  11.3 KB

next week I can take these skills and shoot outside!!
Old 2009-04-06, 12:02am
Unmedicated since '62

wow - much better!

you will find if you go outside that the colour temperature (the original blue problem) will be even harder to control - inside under lights will be more consistant.

i've found when i take a series of shots outside you can see the colour change in the photos as a cloud crosses the sun etc

i always take my photos a little on the dark side - its easy to lighten them up but really hard to fix overexposure

make sure you set your white balance every time

i used to have this nifty onscreen grey balance tool but i cant find it anywhere - you would photograph the 30% grey card and then use the tool to check the photo, it was great. I'll see if i can track it down for you.

and you always have the ultimate fallback tool - photoshop (my best friend)

Old 2009-04-06, 6:37am
szglassy

you know Deb, you're right.

underexposing the shot,thats what happened here and i lightened it up in Digital image Pro 10.
I should really invest in PS!
Old 2009-04-06, 4:26pm
Unmedicated since '62

i have a friend that actually works for Adobe - she gives me the new version every time it comes out, all i have to do is play with it for a couple of weeks and write a feedback report and i get it for free - gotta love those kind of friends!

Old 2009-04-10, 5:17pm

If you need more light, try putting your lights inside the tent facing the walls and top. That way the light bounces around inside and not off the outside walls.

Mike