Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-12, 12:05pm
The Beadstress

Question Anyone try the hand/arm rest from Arrowsprings?

I'm thinking about buying this hand and arm rest from Arrowsprings, but I haven't heard any feedback about it. Has anyone tried this out yet? TYIA
Susan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It always works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end. - this is what my sister tells me
Old 2010-09-13, 3:06pm
OY and Psyche Junkie

Sue,

I had the first model they came out with just about six months before the Creation Station hit the streets. It worked really well, but I have to say I LOVE my Creation Station much, much better. BTW, the first model Arrow Springs had was a rounded arch - different than what they have now.

Cheers
Kathy

Minor with one concentrator

Old 2010-09-13, 4:47pm

I have the first model that came out. Wish I had the newer model. I miss having my torch top marver. My wrists love having a place to rest. The newer model has wings that make the reach slighlty wider. I like that better too.
I think it's all about fit.
Just a suggestion: set blocks up around your torch to reach the normal positions you hold your arms and see if the measurements are within the parameters of the AS rest.
It only works if it fits.
Joan
Old 2010-09-13, 4:54pm
Learning...

That would be on my wish list! I am ready for something like that. I'll be curious to hear what everyone thinks of this.

Old 2010-09-13, 5:27pm
The Beadstress

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Joan - that's a great suggestion. I hadn't thought to measure my natural hand position.

It always works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end. - this is what my sister tells me
Old 2010-09-13, 7:12pm
too many rods in the fire

Sue, I have it and love it!!!! I got it as soon as it came out, and it's very adjustable. Great tool, well made (as all of Arrow Springs' tools are).

Old 2010-09-13, 7:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by papimom View Post
I have the first model that came out. Wish I had the newer model. I miss having my torch top marver. My wrists love having a place to rest. The newer model has wings that make the reach slighlty wider. I like that better too.
I think it's all about fit.
Just a suggestion: set blocks up around your torch to reach the normal positions you hold your arms and see if the measurements are within the parameters of the AS rest.
It only works if it fits.
Joan
This is so true - and very good advice. I think measuring is vital.

I have very long arms and am fairly tall, so I was a bit concerned about the creation station for that reason. This tool works well for me, and I do love the torch top marver too.

Old 2010-09-14, 9:16pm
The Beadstress

Rene' - thanks for the feedback. I'm so glad to hear that you love it because it looks great (torch top marver was one of the things I liked). I think I'm sold!
Susan

Old 2010-09-14, 9:30pm

I think you will be very happy with it, Sue! I had a torch top marver when I had my Minor, but when I upgraded to my Cheetah for some reason I never got around to ordering a marver for it. So this hand rest with the marver met two needs for me! Plus, I adore Craig and Donna so I am always happy to give Arrow Springs my business.

BTW, I really love the amazing fish you do - why haven't I seen you posting in the gallery much recently??

Old 2010-09-14, 9:47pm

I saw it at glass stock and it looks awesome and felt awesome. They even said they could make it wide enough to put the perfect tool in the slot where the marver it. It has adjustments on the wings too so you can move them up and down too also looked like you could change the angle too but not sure about that. It is for sure on my wish list.

Last edited by bead crazy; 2010-09-14 at 9:49pm.
Old 2010-09-15, 1:15am

I love mine. It is much better than the Creation Station. It is adjustable and relaxing angle for the arms and shoulders. The design of the "wings" are padded well and adjust to fit your style. I have a neck injury and this is a great tool to help me to continue to torch. I have tired all the arm rest including the early designs Arrow Springs made, both of the Creation Station and this is by far the best.

Robin

Old 2010-09-15, 9:26am
Knob Creek Glass

I love it and I have short arms. When I first saw it, I thought "how silliy." Especially since I have every kind of arm rest there is. But Craig put one on the torch for me at Bead & Button. And it is great!
Old 2010-09-15, 9:53am
Live and Let Live

The 'wings' seemed iffy to me... like they would easily slip out of place or bend because they aren't touching the work surface at all for support out at the far ends. Those who've tried / have one, is that not a problem really?

Old 2010-09-15, 10:32am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Kim has one at her house and I use it all the time when we make murrini together. I lean on stuff like a Great Dane and it never slips. At home I have a creation station and I always have to remind myself to not lean on my elbows because the wood bends. I don't have that problem with the Arrow Springs arm rests.

I really love it but....there's always a but, right? LOL. I have short arms and because of the height of the arm rests I have trouble reaching the glass rods in front of the torch. No problem if I place the rods to the side but when I have to reach over the arm rests, it's kind of awkward.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-09-22, 7:33am
Az and Rah

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
At home I have a creation station and I always have to remind myself to not lean on my elbows because the wood bends. I don't have that problem with the Arrow Springs arm rests.
Wish I would have read this earlier.

Been buying my wife a lot of stuff lately and ordered the Creation Station. It came today... and have a feeling it will be sitting in the corner unused.

Honestly... I was expecting a much better made item.

It is pretty flimsy and might be good for our son.

Definitely going to look into getting one of the ones from AS.

Don't know how I even missed it it the first place!

Az
Old 2010-09-22, 10:28am

I had a creation station and liked it, now I have the Arrowsprings hand/arm rest and...
L O V E it!!! Super value when you factor in that the marver is included.

Toni
Old 2010-09-22, 10:50am
In spite of it all!

Is there a link posted? Did I miss it? I would love to try one of those since I am a sculptor and the creation station is just not working out for me.... gave it a 5 year try... lol.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2010-09-22, 6:01pm

I have it and love it, it is a real stress reducer. I like the Creation Station but when I'm concentrating I tend to push on those wrist rests, and they move. This is stationary and comfortable. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2010-09-22, 11:24pm

I have the creation station and for me to, the arm rests move.
Besides it was fine with a mega minor but I can't seem to find a place for them to be useful with my lynx.

Old 2010-09-23, 2:05am

These are more of a wrist rest than a arm rest. I have arm rests that I put on my table they slide onto the edge and these would be a great addition.

Old 2010-09-23, 7:38pm
The Beadstress

Ruth - here's the link. Scroll down a little to find the arm rest.

http://www.arrowsprings.com/

My DH has the creation station and it works well, but I thought maybe this one would be easier on my wrists. From all the positive feedback on it, I think it is just what I'm looking for.

Old 2010-09-23, 7:53pm
In spite of it all!

Thanks Sue!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2010-09-24, 7:12am
The Beadstress

You're welcome!

Old 2011-04-10, 9:30pm

I am looking for some advice regarding arm rests. I am new to lampworking and I am using a hot head. I would like to find something to use as arm rests. I have worked at my instructors torch and she has a creation station, however I find myself wanting to put too much pressure on the wrist rests and they move. I have tears in both rotator cuffs so I need something for support to take the pressure off my shoulder muscles. I like the look of the arm rest from arrow springs but I am not sure if it will work with a hot head. Has anyone used it with the hot head? Is there anything else out there I should also consider?

Thanks so much
Lia
Old 2012-03-05, 12:39pm
Loving learning

My DH asked me what I wanted for my birthday. In place of my usual (nothing) I thought of this.
Any further feedback from the people who have tried it?
Right now I'm using toilet paper rolls covered in heat resistant covering, and I find myself sliding them out of the way sometimes to do something on the work surface, so I wonder about that.
Old 2012-03-05, 12:54pm

I have the new one from Arrow Springs and I love it. It is so much better for me than the creation station. The arm rests are sturdy and stay in place. I work standing up. I haven't tried it sitting down.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-03-05, 2:04pm
Loving learning

Thank you. I do stand sometimes, but sit too. I think I'm going to tell him it's a go, and hopefully it will help my back but also help to steady my hands for stringer & dots, etc.
Old 2012-03-05, 2:27pm
Spread the Sparkle

I'll be replacing my creation station for this beauty this week.
I'm curious to give it a try. I sure hope it will help my left elbow.

-

Old 2012-03-05, 6:21pm
Heart of Flame

This is a timely discussion - I was just thinking that I need something like this and here it is!! Thanks for the post. I find the creation station just doesn't provide the support, although I do like the extension of the table.

Old 2012-03-05, 8:22pm

This was my Valentine's Day gift from DH, and I love it! There are quite a few angles available from the arm rests, and when you screw them in place, they don't move. I keep the right one higher and at a slightly different angle, maybe because I'm built that way. All I know is that it took about 3 days to get it adjusted perfectly and I haven't moved a thing since. It has sooooo helped with my arthritis and gives me excellent stability.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.