LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-15, 12:18pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I had beads get lost enroute to the Netherlands, but I've not had any buyers in Germany. I feel left out.

sorta'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-03-15, 12:21pm
Storm Queen

I ship internationally a ton with my business and I haven't had any orders go missing in quite awhile. I did have a Florida bead order go missing a month ago. Our post office told my husband that Florida is the worst state for missing packages. Who knows if that's actually true or not...

Old 2011-03-15, 12:25pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Florida? Really?

Maybe it's all those blue hair/knuckle drivers forgetting they picked up their packages.

(No disrespect intended to anyone dealing with cognitive dysfunction...personally, or by osmosis.)

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-03-15, 12:40pm

OPTIMIST

Quote:
Originally Posted by damselfly View Post
re: (ok, color me an optimist )

Old 2011-03-15, 12:41pm

Oh wow. Do you mean you have never had to replace lost orders to Germany? That SUCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I had beads get lost enroute to the Netherlands, but I've not had any buyers in Germany. I feel left out.

sorta'

Old 2011-03-15, 12:49pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Cynthia, if I never sold anything to anyone in Germany...

Old 2011-03-15, 12:51pm

I know silly. Your not in the "re-do it lost package" club yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
Cynthia, if I never sold anything to anyone in Germany...

Old 2011-03-15, 1:21pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Well, not for Germany. I remade beads for a trek to the Netherlands.

Old 2011-03-15, 2:09pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
OPTIMIST

Old 2011-03-21, 10:56am
Miles from nowhere...

Ok, just thought I'd add my own misery. I couldn't figure out what was the deal with these beads. They are all annealed on a very conservative schedule and honestly, I haven't had a cracked bead since my battle with Lauscha a few years ago. No problems with Lauscha since I use it only with Lauscha, lots of insurance heat and a higher annealing schedule. But I digress...

When I make focals, I put them in the kiln with lots of insurance heat (what I learned from this forum). For me, that is "two songs worth" which is usually at least 8 minutes of making sure that my bead is evenly headed and glowing when it goes in the kiln.

The only thing that they all have in common is DC. As you can see, they are all cracked at the mandrel line, but they are from different kiln batches of beads- the beads without DC DID NOT CRACK. They all were fine when they came out of the kiln, then cracked up to one day later.

I just got some DC to try about a year ago. Since I discovered Reich I mainly use it, but thought I would use up this DC. Nine cracked focals makes DH look really reasonable in price, doesn't it??? Grrrrrr.

Kate

Old 2011-03-21, 11:03am
da General

So sorry, Kate! This makes the disclaimer about cracking down the mandrel line being thermal all the more maddening! The telltale ones are the upper and lower left when it only cracks where the Diamond Clear was obviously NOT compatible!

Kate - DH is reasonably priced for its seconds are better than the firsts from other brands!

Lydia - just came back to this thread when Kate posted. I am SO sorry you lost so much money due to the lack of integrity and responsibility of a glass manufacturer!

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-21, 11:29am

We pulled Diamond Clear from the store after finding out that the new stuff cracked. Sorry that it happened.

Old 2011-03-21, 11:51am
da General

I am sorry you feel this way, Kimberly. Yes, I do test for Double Helix PERIODICALLY - once or twice a year. Most of the time, the lampworking community "tests" for DH by giving Jed and Julie feedback on test batches. I am a beadmaker first and foremost. Thus I honestly feel that my testing glass for Double Helix should NOT preclude me from posting when a glass from another glassmaker has issues. I am sorry you feel that I am being low for "name calling" a "competition" for that was not my intent. I simply stated the facts. I did not run "down someone else's glass or company" for Northstar's disclaimer does that perfectly without my help.

I have used and loved Diamond Clear from the very beginning and would continue to use it if it didn't have incompatibility issues.

If you had an issue with me, it would have been nicer to send me a private message. . .

ETA: For the record, I do NOT get paid testing glass. I do NOT get extra glass as payment. I do NOT get a discount. I usually get one to six rods to try. After playing with the new glass, I photograph the beads and submit a "report."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
This makes me very sad. When it originally came out, DC was stunning glass and seemed to work well. Now - not so much. I, too, would be very angry about cracked beads if I had done all I could to be sure they would be treated properly ( annealed, etc). But, I do not think it is very cool to cast aspersions on a vendor - name calling is never good, even if it is true. Rather, why not just say, "Avoid Diamond Clear for the following reasons........".

When you are a glass testor for a competitor - calling the competition names is pretty low. Much better to point out the superiority of the product you use, or the superiority of the customer service, etc. Running down someone else's glass or company just makes you look bad.

Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Lydia - those cracked beads would have made me cry.

No - I do not test glass for Northstar, DH, Effetre, Vetrofond, CIM or ANYONE ELSE. I buy my glass, test it for myslef and if I like it I post about it. If someone sends me glass, or gives it to me - I try it. If I like it, I tell people. If I don't like it, I dont' say anything, unless there is a problem with the glass itself (as in this case). I would point out the problem. I do not get paid to post good things about anyone's glass.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2011-03-21 at 12:29pm. Reason: ETA
Old 2011-03-21, 11:58am

It is very sad to see all these posts with nasty things to say and cracked beads. At this point and time we have decided to discountiue the Diamond Clear for ever. If you had problems and want a replacement of our other colors soft or boro we are willing to replace. Please call Carole at our main office (503-684-6986) she will have a few questions for you. The reason we made this disclaimer was because we hade about 70% of the DC we sold work fine for all involved and when we had to replace so much product we could not afford to keep replacing product cause we would loose money selling it, we now feel we made a bad call and wish we discountinued it when this all started. We are very sorry for all your losses and hope to create a new clear in the next year. Please give us another chance, we care tons about this community and wish all the best succes.
Old 2011-03-21, 12:11pm

I will be totally on board for the new clear!!! I've kept the diamond clear for me since I work on a small scale and it works well for me. Can't wait to see what you have in the future

Old 2011-03-21, 1:22pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe from Northstar Glass View Post
The reason we made this disclaimer was because we hade about 70% of the DC we sold work fine for all involved and when we had to replace so much product we could not afford to keep replacing product cause we would loose money selling it, we now feel we made a bad call and wish we discountinued it when this all started. We are very sorry for all your losses and hope to create a new clear in the next year. Please give us another chance, we care tons about this community and wish all the best succes.
When talented, experienced artists that know how to work glass are having cracking issues it would be a wise move for the glass maker to take notice and listen. This goes for all glass makers. Glass that had a 30% failure rate should have been pulled right away. We spend a great deal of money on what should be quality glass. We spend hours of our time making high quality beads. It's disheartening to have cracking issues that ruin hundreds if not thousands of dollars of work and possibly ruin your reputation with your customers if those beads leave your hands and crack on the way to their new home. There is a good reason why artists get so upset when it comes to glass that cracks.

Old 2011-03-21, 1:28pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
When talented, experienced artists that know how to work glass are having cracking issues it would be a wise move for the glass maker to take notice and listen. This goes for all glass makers. Glass that had a 30% failure rate should have been pulled right away. We spend a great deal of money on what should be quality glass. We spend hours of our time making high quality beads. It's disheartening to have cracking issues that ruin hundreds if not thousands of dollars of work and possibly ruin your reputation with your customers if those beads leave your hands and crack on the way to their new home. There is a good reason why artists get so upset when it comes to glass that cracks.
Ditto!

Having said that - thank you, Abe, for doing the right thing.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-21, 2:34pm

Ditto what Amy and Hayley stated.

Old 2011-03-21, 2:42pm

If I was writing the declaimer and it was my product, I would have stated right in the beginning that there was only a 70% success rate and to use at your own risk. So, that leaves 30% of users reporting problems with the glass? You can't chalk that up to user error.

That being said, I am glad that this issue was revisited by the maker and it is being handled properly now.

Old 2011-03-21, 2:52pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice View Post
You know, I really don't agree with Hayley's comment about Northstar having a lack of integrity. Perhaps the situation could have been handled differently, but saying Northstar has a lack of integrity just goes too far, IMO.

I personally had no problem whatsover with their disclaimer - it lets people know that DC has some issues and tells people to be aware of that before buying the glass.

I would be very sad about cracking issues, too - in fact, I had several of my own beads crack with DC before I changed to DH Aether (after a LOT of success with earlier batches of DC). I was upset of course. But I never felt that Northstar lacked integrity. I felt that it was a bad batch of glass, and that it was worth it for me to change to a different clear after trying a number of things to make sure it wasn't user error on my part.

The makers of DC are human beings, and at least they tried over and over to figure out and address the problem with us. I don't see Effetre, Vetrofond or even Lauscha makers doing that. I wouldn't accuse any of these glass makers, Northstar included, of a lack of integrity.

Sorry, but that statement just really rubs me the wrong way.
Thank you for sharing your opinion, Kandice. My response is already addressed by Abe's apology that they had made a "bad call" and discontinuing Diamond Clear. To me, he is taking responsibility and restoring their integrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe from Northstar Glass View Post
. . .we now feel we made a bad call and wish we discontinued it when this all started. We are very sorry for all your losses and hope to create a new clear in the next year. Please give us another chance, we care tons about this community and wish all the best succes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
If I was writing the declaimer and it was my product, I would have stated right in the beginning that there was only a 70% success rate and to use at your own risk. So, that leaves 30% of users reporting problems with the glass? You can't chalk that up to user error.

That being said, I am glad that this issue was revisited by the maker and it is being handled properly now.
Ditto what Cynthia said!

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2011-03-21 at 3:21pm.
Old 2011-03-21, 2:58pm

If you ask around I think people know we have the highest amount of integrity. And we treat our customer with the best service in the industry. We work to fix problems and spend tons of money to help teachers and artists. Just to clear up this 70% the other 30% we could not find or contact. If you add up all the Diamond clear that we have sold and look at the amount of people having problems it would only be 5% bad glass. I wish I would get a call to talk about this issue, I dont have time to always be looking on LE to find out that something is wrong, I would think people would call us to let us know. Thanks to all for your support and we are moving on for the NEW clear.
Abe
Old 2011-03-21, 3:03pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I never indicated that being a glass tester precluded anyone from posting about other glass. I simply indicated that as a glass tester for a competitor, posting negatively about another glass maker (not just the glass they make) makes you look bad.

Actually, inferring that another glass maker is lacking in integrity and responsibility IS running down another company. The use of the words "Lack of integrity and responsibility" is a personal attack on a person, not on the product with which you have issue.
Thank you for your clarification, Kimberly.

We will just have to agree to disagree. To me a business can lack integrity and responsibility so my statement was towards Northstar as a company not standing behind the glass it makes and not a personal attack on a person.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-03-21, 3:33pm

That disclaimer is just WOW. Back when they had the first problems with DC I pmed Abe but I guess he had a cutoff point for replacing glass. I wrote to Flamedame and she exchanged the glass for me. I have had many problems with this glass as well as Hocus Pocus ,I think was the name, and IVY. Both boil no matter what I do. I'm going to stick to the glass I know will not crack my beads. yesterday I had one bead that didn't crack due to trying the DC again. Never again will I blow my money on their glass. It's just too darn expensive to have to throw away.
Old 2011-03-21, 9:29pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
TAG Clarity has been the best clear I have ever worked with and does not react with silver the way Aether does. I can't say enough positive about it.

Sorry about the cracked beads Lydia. I'm not sure there has been a safe batch of Diamond Clear since about 2009.
I second that! Love that clear!

Ebay:
Old 2011-03-21, 10:37pm
Ad astra per aspera

Wow, I just took the time to read this thread tonight. I've been working off of 2 lbs of Diamond Clear seconds that I bought last year, and I've loved it. I wish Abe the best of luck in re (re-re)formulating it to come up with something even better. I may have had one cracking problem, but I can't for sure deny that it wasn't thermal, either. I'm never sure how long is too long when working with silvered colors.

I want to make one "to each their own" comment. I know I'm utterly inexperienced with much of the silvered glass, and while I've had a major flame revelation since being forced back to tanked oxy, there are still colors that are total duds. For me, I have way more frustrations with DH colors than Precision. That's been the case ever since this stuff started showing up and continues to be true even with my growing successes overall. I don't think it's a good company vs. bad company, I think it's really a matter of user approach.

Old 2011-03-22, 7:24am
Miles from nowhere...

I just saw a post from ABR that Northstar is finally stepping up to the plate and pulling DC.

Hayley, thank you for having the courage to stand up and call this like it is. Lampworkers and distributors have taken the loss and replacement costs for this problem that they did not create. It is good to see Northstar finally do the right thing, even if it took a little (or a big) push.

I have some Aether seconds that I have been saving for a special occasion. Not having cracked beads and losing two days work is just that occasion. *lol* And, as I said before, when you factor in the time and materials lost, the price of Aether and Clarity really goes down.

Kate

Old 2011-04-03, 6:04am

I had the exact same problems with Diamond Clear. I lost all the focals from a days work. Every single one of them cracked! I contacted the company and was told to call again in a week! That was months ago and truthfully, I never bothered. I promised myself to never use that glass again no matter what.
Old 2011-04-03, 9:55am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgglass View Post
I had the exact same problems with Diamond Clear. I lost all the focals from a days work. Every single one of them cracked! I contacted the company and was told to call again in a week! That was months ago and truthfully, I never bothered. I promised myself to never use that glass again no matter what.
<sigh> They should have taken your name and number and called YOU back if they needed a week to ....do....whatever. It's not like they didn't know about this problem so I don't know why they would tell you to call back in a week.

Old 2011-04-05, 3:31pm
where is that UPS man?

I am getting the same reaction with diamond clear. I wish I would have read this thread. Now i have about 4 pounds of worthless expensive clear.....

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2011-04-05, 3:44pm
where is that UPS man?

Okay this kinda $#$%^& me off....
So I am supposed to spend 5 hours in my studio $$%^&^&^ with the glass so that maybe I can get ! $$%^^& bead that does not crack days to weeks later....
Normally I am not one to raise my voice but seriously?????????
WTF!!!!!!!!!
Hayley;
this is not at all aimed at you.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Okay I am confused. The disclaimer was found on ABR's website under the Diamond Clear description looking like it's stated by Northstar effective 1 June 2010.

Abe from Northstar posted this in a few threads: "Issues with recent batch of Precision Diamond Clear," "Filmy Diamond Clear," and "Diamond Clear still cracking" on 2 November 2010:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=177
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...21#post3268521
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...17#post3268517

Perhaps Abe and ABR can respond and let us know what is going on?

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...oducts_id=7008

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO