No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-23, 1:33pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Default Pulling thicker stringer

I've gotten really good at thin straight stringer. Now, I can't seem to get a nice straight piece about the thickness of factory stringer. Is there a trick I may be missing?

steady as she goes gets me very short pieces.

thanks ya'all

namaste

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-23, 1:50pm
sunscreen me baby

I heat a larger gather, grab a bigger chunk to pull and wait longer before pulling.

~

Old 2011-04-23, 1:51pm
Lampworkaholic!

Yes, there is a good trick. Take factory stringer (clear works best) and cut it to about 2 inch lengths. Make your gather, heat the end of a piece of factory stringer, touch it to the gather, pause til a "skin" forms on the gather and then pull slowly.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-23, 1:52pm
sunscreen me baby

That's a great trick!

~

Old 2011-04-23, 1:52pm
da General

Melt a larger gather at the tip of your rod and let it cool a bit. At the same time pinch twice with a blunt tip tweezers so you have a bigger starting point to pull from. Pull slowly vertically and switch back and forth so that a different hand is on top. Hope this helps.

Alternatively, you can melt the ends of two rods, attach together to form a large gather and pull them that way.

|
|
|
|
Old 2011-04-23, 1:54pm
where is that UPS man?

I use mandrels for my pulls... The bigger the mandrel the bigger the stringer. I try to keep the pull the same size as the mandrel...
That's my tip anyways..

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2011-04-23, 2:25pm

Wow..great tips to try! I have had the same problem but never posed the question.Thanks all!
"

Old 2011-04-23, 2:54pm
Triumphantly Knit!

WOW...ahhhh soooooooooo
must go try

faerie frolics!

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-04-23, 3:05pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Yes, the mandrels seem to work well, and sometimes pull little, so you have really thick short pull, let it cool, and then pull tight... easier to get even. Also remember that the heat rises, so if the other end seems to cool down too fast, turn that side up, and the cooling will slow a little.
Old 2011-04-23, 3:50pm

Melt a large gather on the end of your rod. Take a warm thicker diameter rod and use it as a punty and pull your stringer. The larger the diameter of your punty the thicker your stringer will be.
Old 2011-04-23, 6:39pm
Unmedicated since '62

if you make a maria on the end of your punty you'll get a thicker stringer too - also, your gather needs to be proportionally larger, much larger

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-04-23, 10:56pm

Using advice above, I took one of my shorts, heated up a mandrel and attached them. Gathered up the entire short, stuck another mandrel into it and pulled. It was the best most even stringer I have ever pulled. It is now my preferred technique. Thank you all.
Old 2011-04-24, 10:29am
Glass-aholic

Yes what they have said above is GREAT! I like using mandrels to pull, but when I want a little thicker pull, or when doing wig-wags I find that a mandrel on one end is good, and glass on the other end. I guess this is due to the fact that when doing wig wags you are only pulling at one end not both... Over all, if you are pulling from one end use glass, if you are pulling both ends use mandrels. 1/8th usually. I also say you need to wait longer than you think you do, and spin to keep it even or from flopping, be patient. Also don't try to "fix' anything, just concentrate on the part that looks good or move on to a new pull. The save will probably in the end loose you more glass. I will melt off one end and start to pull with the remainder of the gather if it gets real bad!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-04-24, 10:41am
Ad astra per aspera

Large gather, 10 mm rod for punty, and gravity. The bigger your pulling "target" (the 10 mm rod) the larger the attachment point. Go slow and wait for the glow in the gather to darken a little bit.