LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2011-10-20, 12:28pm
Still makin' flowers...

I just sent them! Let me know they all arrived okay, and keep the photos coming.

Take a look above at Val's (lovely, BTW). Looks like she's actually run all the cords through the center of the beads, which lets them spin more and actually is a better way to use beads you might have that are not round and donut shaped. If you take a look earlier on in the thread donia was asking about this:
Quote:
Anyone tried anything other than round beads? I'm sure the shape isn't an issue and will work towards a different unique look.
Also, don't forget to show off your finished bracelets in the thread that was started in the Family room!

Also, I loaded more onto my Etsy shop.
--------

Spent the morning at the Circleville Pumpkin Festival. If you haven't experienced the Circleville Pumpkin Festival, you've missing out on a slice of Midwest craziness. Pumpkin everything - pizza, pie, ice cream, coffee, you name it. I was holding out for some tractor square dancing. The show has been going on since 1903 and even crowns a pumpkin queen. I heard it was on the front page of the Wall Street Journal this morning, but after 4 hours of incredible winds and rains and 40 degree weather my friend Lee and I closed up the booth. Brian will be taking over at 6 and the festival runs til 10pm tonight - the weather is supposed to be better by then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-10-20 at 1:08pm.
Old 2011-10-20, 12:31pm
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post

Oooo! I love this Val! What a creative spin on the pattern!

Old 2011-10-20, 2:55pm
I think I could be a bead

Hannah, my tutorial has not yet arrived. Just thought you should know. I'll PM you my email addy, but it is the same as in my paypal address.

Old 2011-10-20, 3:14pm
Still makin' flowers...

Hi Mallory:
Sometimes my AOL account is a pill and goes to spam. I've sent from a gmail account as well as the aol this time. Let me know it has finally arrived.

!
Old 2011-10-20, 3:19pm

Thanks ! Looks good !!
~~

Old 2011-10-20, 4:15pm
I think I could be a bead

Yes, it's here!!!!!! Thanks so much, Hannah!!!! This tutorial looks great!!!!! Actually, both tuts arrived at the same time!!! Thank you!

Old 2011-10-20, 6:10pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I've got mine! Now I just need to make some beads with 1/8" bead holes.
Thanks!

Old 2011-10-20, 6:28pm

thought I would post here too ...
Here is one using 13 mm lentil beads. I used 1 mm leather for my middle with Hemp for my ties. I still need to glue/trim the ends off and make spacers to match.
Fun to make ... thanks Hanna !
Attached Images

~~

Old 2011-10-21, 6:35am
Still makin' flowers...

Mary Beth - you can actually use a bead with any sized hole, you just have to make sure you can get the knotting thread through it.

Lorraine! I love that! Glad you posted in the gallery thread, too. I don't think I would have thought to pull both working threads to the inside of the bracelet. Genius! It helps showcase the beads without covering them in macrame thread.

I've sent out all morning orders. Let me know they've arrived.

Susan - your email bounced back. Is there another one I can use?

!
Old 2011-10-21, 8:42am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Hannah, I am assuming that the threads going through the beads can be thinner than the threads that you use to knot. Is that correct? (hoping here, because I'm using normally 1/16" mandrels and have quite a few beads already in my drawer that I would like to use for these bracelets).
Thanks

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-10-21, 8:45am
Still makin' flowers...

Judith - the fiber that goes through the beads is the one that takes the real weight of the bracelet, so if its thinner, then is also needs to be the strongest. But yes, they can be different type cords.

!
Old 2011-10-21, 9:05am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Thanks Hannah. Good point about having to be strong. I'm thinking of thin leather.
I might have to get my "big" mandrels out

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-10-21, 10:46am
novembersfyre everywhere

Everyone's bracelets are beautiful! That's good news about the hole size. I usually use 1/16" mandrels also but I think I'll try some 3/32" sized holes.

I'm hoping to get a bunch of beads done this weekend. I'll have to see what I have that might be good for practice.

Old 2011-10-21, 12:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Billig View Post
Thanks Hannah. Good point about having to be strong. I'm thinking of thin leather.
I might have to get my "big" mandrels out
In mine I used 1 mm leather cuss I couldn't get 2 strands of hemp thru my 1/8 hole beads ... and that definitely added strength to it.

And ankle bracelet ... good idea !
~~

Old 2011-10-21, 5:24pm
Still makin' flowers...

Ankle bracelets ARE a good idea!

Oooh, you are using thick hemp, aren't you Lorraine? Can't wait to see the finished piece.

I've sent out another set of orders. Everything should be up to date now. Let me know if you are waiting on a tutorial.

And here's a teaser... I'm working on a Chan Luu Style bracelet with size 6/0 seed beads (4-6mm firepolish would also work OR Swarovski), a lampwork bead as the closure, 2mm leather and C-lon. That's all you need for it, so get your materials ready. It'll be in the Free Tutorials section soon.

!
Old 2011-10-21, 5:39pm

Yes, the hemp is pretty heavy, more so than I would like .. but was what I had on hand.
What size of C Lon are you using ?

ohhh what a teezzze alright, I made a couple of Chan Luu bracelets mix media, a few lampwork beads, then swarovski's ... can't wait to see what your doing ! I use a button for the closure, which I hate .. doh .. never thought to use a lampwork bead for it !
~~

Old 2011-10-21, 6:22pm
Mr Brutus RIP

will you be putting more in your shop Hannah? I went to buy and they were all gone

Old 2011-10-21, 6:42pm
Still makin' flowers...

Can't keep up with "you people!"
Thank you so very much.

I've reloaded and all sold orders are on their way. Please let me know if any of them have NOT come through.
-------

Lorraine - its just a super quick and easy one since they are enormously popular right now, too.
Take a look in the free tutorials section for a ladder stitch bracelet tutorial. Enjoy!

------
One more edit with a new Shamballa bracelet. See the gallery thread regarding the inspiration for it.

-----------
RELOADED the shop AGAIN! I have to fly out the door to Southern Ohio today, so tutorials won't be heading to their homes until this evening.

!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-10-24 at 6:59am.
Old 2011-10-26, 9:51pm

Having never done any macrame before...I'm lost on working the "slider bar". The tut says to trim the working cords...to what length? Where are the directions for knotting the slider bar? It seems the tut just ends without explaining how to finish

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2011-10-27, 3:18am
Still makin' flowers...

Sounds like your tutorial didn't download properly, Marie. I've sent it to you again.

Trim the edges right next to the knotwork, then either glue or melt them as this thread discusses. Take a look at the photos in this thread to see what I mean.

!
Old 2011-10-27, 11:50am

I think I have it now. I didn't process the new piece of 18" cord and couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be knotting....I'm such a dufus sometimes! I'll cut some more cord and try to finish. So far so good for never having done it before. Thank you!

Old 2011-10-27, 7:38pm

yea i'm lost too. If you trim all the cords at the knot, then where are u wrapping up the 18 inch thread? I didn't trim and it was really hard to keep 4 strands on each side inside the slider. What am I missing???

I've noticed some pics in the jewelry gallery and they only have two cords at the end (which I'm assuming is the 18 inch piece but where are all the other threads?
help!!! lol

Old 2011-10-27, 8:00pm

Okay so let's see if I can say this easier now that I'm looking at the tutorial. I see you have 3 working threads and two outer threads. When you finished the bracelet, you knotted it and cut of just the two outer threads? So now you have 3 working threads on each side that you are going to attach the 18 inch cord to. So you work the slider and then what happens to the inner (3 original threads?) Where do you cut them? Then the 18 inch thread becomes the one's you put the beads on at the very end right? So if I use one thread for the inside then that's all I'll have to attach the slider to right? Does this make sense? I've got the bracelet made but the finishing part is kind of buggin the heck outta me! I'm such a visual person. Show me how to make it once, and I've got it. I hate reading it on paper lol....

Old 2011-10-28, 4:18am
Still makin' flowers...

Hi Reenie! You only trim the working cords, not the cords you had running through them. If you take a look at my first photo, you will see that I had three cords running inside those original beads (and inside of the working cords). These three cords lay across each other at the back and the slider knot goes over them. Since they come from both sides of the bracelet and cross each other, you will feel like you are working over six cords! These three cords are also what my final spacer beads are knotted on, one bead per end. The working cords for the slider knot are also trimmed. The reason the other photographed bracelets appear to have less cords inside of them is that they do! Instead of using three thin cords inside the beads, some people opted to use a thicker one.

!
Old 2011-10-28, 7:58am

I can't wait until I get paid! I never make jewelry and really want to try this!
Old 2011-10-28, 12:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
I can't wait until I get paid! I never make jewelry and really want to try this!
Hurry and get paid......this is fun!

Old 2011-10-29, 5:06pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Ok, I hate to admit it but I am totally stumped. I'm sitting at my table with 4 pieces of cording cut and don't understand the starting directions............Can anyone help??
I don't understand how to start.......where does my knot go? do I start at the end? middle? I got confused when the directions says "now work on the other side"??
Please help!!
sue

Old 2011-10-30, 2:01am

Hannah - not this tut, but I ordered the color one and haven't received it. Do you do e-tuts or snail mail?

Old 2011-10-30, 2:14am
Serenity Now!

Sue - You have to start at the middle. Here's a quote from the tut: Start at the center – thread your center bead on all of the center cords.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2011-10-30, 2:35am
Still makin' flowers...

Hi Janet. I do email. I am in New Jersey right now but get home tonight and will figure out what went wrong.

Thank you Val!

!