LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-04, 8:39pm
Always Improving

I have lined just over 100 beads since I received the tool and I have to tell you I totally love it.

Nice work and a great tool at a great price point.

Thanks...
Old 2011-11-16, 6:23pm
berry lady

Unhappy Struggling with the Impress

I have just received my new Impress liner and I'm having difficulty coring beads. I'm using the annealed sterling silver tubing 4.37mm ID from Ginko Designs, along with a good quality Rigid tubing cutter and my Impress and reamer.

Yes, I bought the special 4.37mm peg and installed it by removing the bottom plate, not by moving the Anvil.

I am cutting the tubing 4.5mm longer than my bead width. The tubing edges start out clean, square and beveled. I'm using the Impress with a 1/2 turn on each side to start, then 1/4 turns from there.

By the time I'm getting down to the last few turns it becomes obvious there is a problem. On one end of the bead the tubing rolls over beautifully all around. Clean and lovely. This is the side of each of these beads at the bottom of the pic.

On the opposite end of each bead (ends at the top of the pic) the tubing rolls over to one side but the other side doesn't roll - it sticks straight out. See the pic below:

What the heck?

Then, I try my trusty new rawhide mallet to tamp down the edge which won't roll over and the metal DOES NOT MOVE. I put the bead with the good side of the rivet down on my stainless steel table, and then pound on the edge of the top rivet with the rawhide mallet. Hard enough so if I hit my fingers it hurts. The rawhide is making no impression at all.

Do I need a nylon, urethane or metal hammer instead? How heavy does the hammer need to be to tighten down the edges? Earlier posts say I have to "support" the bead for this. What does that mean - do I need to put the bead in one of those dapping blocks, "bad end" downward in one of the hemispherical holes while I pound on the good side from the top? How do I hammer without crushing my fingers?

I'm so confused. Any advice would be much appreciated...
Old 2011-11-16, 6:26pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I think you're cutting the tubing too long...

I cut mine only 2-3 mm longer.

Are you flipping the bead over after every 1/2 to 1/4 turn?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-16, 6:34pm
berry lady

Could be too long, but the same thing happens (to a lesser degree) with shorter lengths. And yes, I'm flipping the bead every 1/4 turn.
Old 2011-11-16, 6:38pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Hmmmm... I'm thinkin'.

Hopefully Dave will pop in soon and be able to give some tips.

Old 2011-11-16, 6:39pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Honestly, I think I would pop those two back into the tool and give it a couple more turns.

Old 2011-11-16, 6:50pm
Storm Queen

I cut mine 3.1mm longer.

Old 2011-11-16, 8:13pm
berry lady

Default What great customer service!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Hopefully Dave will pop in soon and be able to give some tips.
Thank you to the LE members who responded.

Just after I posted my question I decided to contact Dave directly. But before I could even look up his number or email address HE called ME. Within 10 minutes of my post going up!!

The short version is that I've probably got two sources of trouble, both of my own creation.

1. Yes, I'm cutting the tubing too long. Fix: Dave said that for this size of tubing, I should cut it no more than 3.6mm longer than the width of my bead.

2. I have been using 5/32 mandrels and reaming the holes out larger. This means it's likely that my beadholes are wider at the bead edges than the center. If the holes are too much wider than the tubing, especially at the edges, the silver tubing can spread sideways instead of rolling back on itself. Fix: Buy 3/16" mandrels and use a thin-to-medium coating of bead release. Then I'm much more likely to have beadholes that are cylindrical and of the correct diameter to match the tubing.

I'll be trying both of these solutions right away.

I just want to tell you all how pleased I am with Dave and the Impress tool. I'm a brand new customer (just received my Impress last week) and have no family or business connection with Dave. I have not been asked or paid to endorse Dave or his product. I simply have never, ever, in my life received a personal phone call from a vendor within minutes of deciding I had a problem with a tool. Wow! Dave spent a good deal of time figuring out and explaining how and why my particular mistakes were causing a problem, and promised to stick with me until I get good results. I look forward to working with the Impress and any other tools Dave brings to market in the future.

Elizabeth
Old 2011-11-16, 8:53pm
"Sinners have soul too"

That is awesome!

WTG Dave! I love love love my Impress tool... I should core some beads again soon!

Old 2011-11-16, 9:49pm
Beadawhaaaa??

I ordered my Impress tool on Monday and I can't wait to get it!
Old 2011-11-18, 4:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodatwoman View Post
I ordered my Impress tool on Monday and I can't wait to get it!
It should arrive on Monday morning. I just mailed it today. I had it packaged the day after you ordered, but mislaid it and it sat here two days and didn't go out till today. Sorry! I need someone to keep me in line around here.

Old 2011-11-18, 9:46pm

I bought the bead liner last year and still am very impressed. For those that make Jewelry and use cold connections, perfect tool for that as well. Thanks Dave!!!

Old 2011-11-19, 10:00pm
Plumb

I'm dying to get one! Y'all make everything look so purty!

Old 2011-11-20, 5:00pm
Beadawhaaaa??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
It should arrive on Monday morning. I just mailed it today. I had it packaged the day after you ordered, but mislaid it and it sat here two days and didn't go out till today. Sorry! I need someone to keep me in line around here.
It's fine, really. I got sick and haven't been able to get my stuffed-up head un-stuffed long enough to concentrate to order some tubing. I'm not well enough to even use it just now anyway, so it works out.
I just checked and the press will be here tomorrow! Yeah! LOL
Old 2011-12-03, 4:59am
where is that UPS man?

okay I sucked it up and ordered one........about time deb!!!!

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2012-02-06, 9:00pm
professional gimme fiver

I ordered one, too! But I forgot to order the special peg, so I'm going to do that. But before I do, are there any other sizes I should have? Here are the size mandrels I like to core (and have done so with a different press):
3/16
5/32
1/8

I'd like to be able to core 3/32 as well.

What additional size pegs do I need??

Old 2012-02-07, 6:02am

Where are people buying the tubes silver... copper whatever that they are using to core beads. & has anyone tried the 1/4 inch copper plumbing pipe?

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2012-02-08, 4:33am
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgirl View Post
Where are people buying the tubes silver... copper whatever that they are using to core beads. & has anyone tried the 1/4 inch copper plumbing pipe?
This is where I've gotten mine
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ginkodesigns?ref=seller_info

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2012-02-08, 11:26am

What Jamie said. I think plumbers pipe (used to hook up ice makers) has a thicker wall and will split. Haven't used it, so can't actually attest.
Old 2012-02-08, 10:23pm

Hey, Dave, I taught someone how to core line this week, and she commented on how wonderful you were to help her figure out the tools she needed. Just thought I would pass on the compliment. Thanks for all you do.

Ginko Beads
Old 2012-02-08, 10:48pm

Dave, I sent you a PM!

Old 2012-03-01, 2:46pm
professional gimme fiver

Got my Impress a few weeks ago from Dave and tried it out last night. I know, how could I wait so long?!? Madness.

I'm having trouble getting the tubing to roll over the bead, mine seems to be really straight & sharp. I've broken 8 beads trying to tighten them up. Any suggestions? It has to be easier than what I'm making it!

Old 2012-03-01, 4:38pm
professional gimme fiver

Hey Dave! Sorry I lost you on the phone call, my battery died. Thank you SO much for the call and for explaining what I was doing wrong!

To everyone else: A little while after I posted this question, Dave called and walked me through using the press (and the deburring tool I got from him, which I was also using incorrectly). He's sending me the proper peg so I can be a whiz at lining beads just like everyone else who has an Impress and LOVES it! As soon as I core some fabulous beads, I'll post a pic.

Mahalo nui loa, Art In The Round (aka Dave).

Old 2012-03-01, 6:29pm

Mahalo!
A`ole pilikia, Pomaika`i!

`aka`aka OL

Hope your Impress becomes your punahele tool.

A hui hou kakou
Dave

Old 2012-03-01, 8:50pm
professional gimme fiver

Impressive!!

But can you say it in Pidgin?!? Lol!

Old 2012-03-01, 8:56pm
professional gimme fiver

Impressive!!

But can you say it in Pidgin?!? Lol!

Old 2012-05-07, 11:46am
professional gimme fiver

These are just a few of the many beads I've cored with my Impress liner. I'm still perfecting the technique to get the metal tubing ends to "roll over" nicely like the first and second images, so far I've only done it by accident! I think if I cut the tubing a smidge longer to begin with and/or go slower (as in flip the bead back and forth more frequently), I think that's how I accomplished it. The brass & copper tubing Ginko sells works really well with the Impress. The silver ones are cored with sterling silver tubing from IJS. I also purchased Dave's Deburring Tool from Art In The Round. It works much nicer than the one I had gotten at Sears! Doesn't scratch the inside of the tubing and takes any pesky little burrs off easily. Thanks, Dave! Great tools!

Old 2012-05-07, 11:55am
Molten Glass Addict

I need to buy some mandrels of the correct size. Right now all I do is guess by double dipping what I have in my mudd.

Edited to add: that coring is perfect!! great beads

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2012-05-07, 5:24pm

Gorgeous beads, gorgeous photography, gorgeous coring, you've got it all.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2012-05-16, 12:21pm
Shelarious

Alexis, those are gorgeous beads with great coring!