No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-27, 9:14pm
(416e6f6e796d6f7573)

Default Um, new torch?

OK, so I've been doing small beads in COE 104, or whatever it's called. I have a hothead torch and use bottle of MAPP. I would like to upgrade to something a bit hotter and a bit bigger, flame and torch wise. I was offered a oxygen generator thingy by an awesome lady at a local trunk show and I think i want to get into borosilicate as well. I will be switching over to propane because my mother, who does silver smithing, has the whole setup for soldering silver. What kind of torch is good for what I want to do? I'm looking in the ranges of $100-$300.
Old 2008-09-27, 9:39pm
(416e6f6e796d6f7573)

I've been making beads for about a year and Im completely self taught. I know nothing about concentrator yet, but the lady who's giving it to me just upgraded all her stuff so she doesn't need it anymore and I think it's pretty new or not to old. She says she's never changed the filters and it runs great; but she apparently used it a lot because she had thousands of beads, but didn't have it for long. I'm really not sure yet though. I worked with a minor in a mixed media class in college last year, it was really nice. Is that enough for boro? And what do you mean by tested?
Old 2008-09-27, 9:47pm
Certified Thread Killer

May I suggest the Mega Minor?

(I'm a little partial).

Looks like Nortel optimized this one for "better use of oxygen concentrators".
I use tanks for now but I'm glad to know that in the future I can switch to an oxycon without changing torches.

My transition from HH to the MM was very smooth and I still switch back and forth.

~Rachelle
Old 2008-09-27, 9:59pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I just got a GTT cricket and find that it is hotter than my minor on the same oxygen source. I believe it will do boro better than the minor and is more efficient with oxygen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-09-27, 10:03pm
(416e6f6e796d6f7573)

Ok so I looked up the cricket and the minor and they look like they'll work for what i want to do. What are the pros and cons of both. I must know everything!

Last edited by K313k; 2008-09-27 at 10:05pm.
Old 2008-09-27, 10:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Check out the cricket here - intro price right now of $139 and available in a variety of colors:

http://www.glasstorchtech.com/cricket.html

here is a thread about it:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=cricket

I have a minor also and it is a great first oxy/propane torch, but I like the cricket better and it is less expensive. It will work small to medium boro - just like a minor, but with less oxy required.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-27, 10:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Oh and I haven't found a con for my cricket yet - I've had it for 2 weeks and it is awesome!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-09-28, 4:37am
Detail G-Mama!

A Carlisle Mini CC is my choice! You can get a bushy flame or a pinpoint flame also.

Old 2008-09-28, 7:40am
Butterfly Rancher

In August, I replaced my MiniCC with a Betta -- and it was much better! However, the Cricket came out about a week after I got my Betta and after reading about the Cricket, I had to try it. So my Cricket is arriving any day now.

I particularly like that the Cricket has been specifically designed to work with oxycons. I went from a 5 LPM oxycon to a 10 LPM oxycon while I was still using my MiniCC. The MiniCC worked much better with more oxygen but it was expensive to get enough oxycon for the MiniCC to really work well. The Cricket is specifically designed to work on one 5LPM oxycon.

BTW in your price range (and I'm sure someone will note if I miss one) is the Cricket, Bobcat, Minor, MegaMinor, MiniCC, and Minnow. There are lots of threads in the Torch room (at the top of the Tips, Techniques section) that review various torches. You may want to research these torches in that area.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-09-28, 8:52am
Boro Brat

Nothing tops a cricket for melting boro with a concentrator...and I've tried a betta, a mini cc, a minor, and even a bobcat on a comparable setup.

I have used the cricket now on two set-ups: one 5lpm oxy con and on 2 5lpm oxy cons hooked together. On two, I turned the flow down a bit because it seemed like too much! Now THAT's efficient!! On two 5lpm concentrators, I was melting boro at my regular speed and I like to work hot. I felt like I was using a miniature lynx on oxygen tanks.

Anyway, the cricket has a verrrrry hot little flame that is extremely penetrating and the pinpoint flame is incredible. I would recommend it to anyone!

Old 2008-09-28, 9:01am
Broken

I like the Mega Minor I've had it for a while now, I have a mini CC but it doesn't work as well on a concentrator as the mega. I looked at the cricket but dont think it'll be any hotter than the Mega.

A few mega threads, just type mega minor in the search spot at the upper right of the screen.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ght=mega+minor

Last edited by Nicker; 2008-09-28 at 9:04am.
Old 2008-09-28, 10:04am
Gentleman of Leisure

Another entry in torch marathon is the NATIONAL 8M with SM-7 tip....

Works well on single concentrator....

Also GTT Bobcat....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-09-28, 12:15pm

I have had a minor, lynx, betta and cricket in that order.
All very good torches. My preference is the cricket or betta.

Kym
Old 2008-09-28, 6:09pm

I use a hothead @ home ('cause it's what I own!)
I the mini cc for it's flame type, adjustability, etc.--it runs better on tanked oxy than it does on an oxycon for doing boro--for soft glass it's fine on an oxycon (I've been lucky enough to use a friend's set up with both a single oxycon *and* with 2 oxycons, and to use a mini cc @ the local studio on tanked oxygen.) I personally don't "do" boro, or plan to, so until the cricket came along, that was my "dream" torch
I do not like the minor AT all (don't like the flame, etc.)
I got to try Pipyr's cricket last thursday & it's AWESOME. I could get used to using that torch really quickly! And...it comes in purple, so...quite possibly my new "dream torch" (and, on oxycons, *much* hotter than the minicc, so if you want to do boro, probably a better choice)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-09-28, 6:42pm

I just did a demo on a Crickett and an oxycon and loved it. Output is great and will also do boro, controll is great, price is great. I also agree, there are no cons on it.

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2008-09-28, 7:02pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I just hooked up my cricket...
That's my recommendation.

Old 2008-09-28, 8:38pm

The Cricket...for $139.00 and GTT's quality to back the torch I don't think you could go wrong.

Old 2008-09-28, 9:09pm

OK, I don't need a torch, and am quite content with my Bobcat, but y'all are talking me into wanting a Cricket, too! ♥

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2008-09-29, 12:50am

If you don't like the cricket, I'm sure it will be the same as with all other GTT torchs you can get most if not all of your money back. The price will go up on them shortly, list price to be $167.00 I order one just to have a back up if I need it or to use as a teaching torch.

Old 2008-09-29, 8:27am
Scientific Glass Girl

this whole room will answer a lot of torch questions for you.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55

i have a mini cc. i bought it three years ago and its a great torch. both for soft glass and small boro.