Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-09-20, 8:19pm
Enjoying Life!

Smile I wanna go to the dark side...

I've been wanting to try boro for over a year now and have decided to take the plunge. Can you guys give me some suggestions on what colors to buy for my first order of boro? I've read several posts recommending sample packs, but I really don't like sampler packs; I would prefer to get #1/4 lots of a few different colors that would be good for a newbie and some clear too. I don't want to make a mistake and order fussy colors or glass that's too hard for a newbie to use. Any help and advice would be appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ SRA #T62
Old 2009-09-20, 8:48pm
Borovangelist

pick a few wysiwyg colors and go for it. So basically avoid anything that the manufacturer mentions "striking, reducing, extra care must be taken to...."

TAG Elvis Red and NS Garnet are good stable transparent reds, GA Brilliant Blue is a nice, reasonably stable transparent blue.

Blacks are often a matter of preference, I like Onyx, other's prefer Raven

You'll get a half dozen recommendations on white. I can beat the heck out of Origin Brilliant White and still have it not look like junk, other's prefer Star White or Sno White. I happen to love Colormax white but it's off the market and I horde the stuff.

It all depends on what kind of colors YOU like. If you prefer transparents, look at folks like GA and NS for an established line. If you like opaque colors, consider a sampler from Origin Glass (glowglass.com has one). Just a note, Origin doesn't have an opaque "red".

I like NS Cherry and Momka's Carmen Red for those. I've heard good things about TAG Reef red.

As you can see from my sleep deprived rambling, folks have preferences for certain colors from certain companies for certain applications.

Go through the catalogs, pick a few that sound appealing, and find some decent sales to buy some to try

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2009-09-20, 10:44pm
Enjoying Life!

I like the pics of the double amber purple and the butterscotch and the colors that change. I guess that's striking? I appreciate you answering and look forward to seeing more opinions on this.

~ SRA #T62
Old 2009-09-21, 12:31am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

definitely get yourself some amber purple. i like agua azul and hyacinth and unobtainium as wysiwyg colours. I like mystery aventurine too.
I would definitely get a 1/4 lb of amber purple and then just get single rods of other colours.
I would get some frits too like amber purple and some clear. An easy bead to make is NS pomegranite with amber purple frit.
Old 2009-09-21, 4:58am
Pyromaniac

Default Favorite Ten colors thread

This is a really good thread that has a lot of boro people's favorite ten colors:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...te+boro+colors

Oh and don't forget clear rods and clear frit. If you want some frit choices I would get clear, blue moon, amber purple and black.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2009-09-21 at 5:00am.
Old 2009-09-21, 8:20am
Covered in glitter

wysiwyg?????????

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-09-21, 8:41am

WYSIWYG= what you see is what you get!

(As in, colors don't change.)

(pronounced as wusseewig)

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-09-21, 12:02pm
Enjoying Life!

Oh this is gonna be fun!
I'm going to order some glasses (eyewear) today and am researching that topic as well. Can't decide if I want split shades or just a totally different pair for working Boro, or those inexpensive clip on's.....

~ SRA #T62
Old 2009-09-21, 6:29pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

For the beginning, get the clip ons. Invest in a good pair once you figure out if boro is your thing.