LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-23, 8:32am

Question Reichenbach Multicolor COE 104 (RL-6209)

I just got this glass. On the first bead I somehow managed to bring out a lot of different colors - esp. the purples. But I haven't been able to do it since. Before I waste anymore glass, I'd like to know if anyone has any helpful hints for drawing out the purple (and other colors) in this glass?
Old 2011-04-23, 8:35am
Jacqueline Parkes

I only use the 96 and it is a really funky glass. I find I get can purples in one kiln and blues in another, no idea why. I tend to work it lower in the flame to get it super hot, cool and then strike. I cool and strike a few times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-04-23, 8:43am

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, I tried that - hot, cool and then strike (repeatedly) - but it didn't give me any purples. My kiln setting is always the same, so . . . hmmm?!
Old 2011-04-23, 8:57am
Jacqueline Parkes

I can only get the purples in my one kiln and I have no idea why...

Did you get blues instead?

Old 2011-04-23, 9:59am

On a larger, oval shaped bead I got a beautiful blend of greens (including a nice blue-green) with purple stripes and a beautiful gloss. But on the smaller beads - mostly green with a few off-color greens and browns. Still pretty, but no purple. Hmm. Now that I write this - I'm wondering if time in the heat is more important than striking. I'm thinking this because the larger bead was in the heat so much longer than the small ones. I'll try another large bead today and see if that's the answer.
Old 2011-04-23, 10:04am
T.J. made me do it

I have found that you need to let it cool to the point that the color starts "blooming" or turning dark before you stick it back in the flame. The dark color will turn purple in the kiln or as it cools down.

Old 2011-04-23, 12:18pm

I can't get out any color of Reichenbach 104 striking colors like Multicolor or Iris Orange.
I'm much more successful with the 96.
If you wanna get purples, try the Multicolor 96. R-736C

Elke
Old 2011-04-23, 1:57pm
where is that UPS man?

Elke those are gorgeous... And here i am trying to get rid of my stash of 96.. Your making it hard!!!! Drat!!!!

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2011-04-23, 2:01pm

Default 96 vs 104

Locococo, your beads are beautiful!! So - this is probably a stupid question, but can 96 be used with 104? Can a hothead handle 96 COE?

Thanks -

Last edited by French Twist; 2011-04-23 at 2:04pm.
Old 2011-04-23, 2:04pm

Mtnglass - Thanks for the reply. I just made a few small beads and discovered the blooming, as you called it. Glad to know what now looks black will (hopefully) be purple. Thanks!
Old 2011-04-23, 6:24pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I'm wondering what kiln gives you the purples, I wonder if the kiln walls are different material affecting the ph or amount of oxygen emitted, or something like that?

namaste
Rowyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I can only get the purples in my one kiln and I have no idea why...

Did you get blues instead?

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-04-24, 1:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Twist View Post
Locococo, your beads are beautiful!! So - this is probably a stupid question, but can 96 be used with 104? Can a hothead handle 96 COE?

Thanks -
The beads shown were made on a base of Effetre black 104, decorated with Multicolor 96 frit.
Kiln annealed and never got problems with cracks.
Sorry, I never worked on a hothead, so no help here.

Elke
Old 2011-04-24, 3:55am

The multi color seems to strike much better when the bead is rolled on a cool surface, just like the iris orange I have found.

Old 2011-04-24, 7:10am

Thanks, Sonja. Just checked yesterday's batch of beads, and I got lots of beautiful blues and blue greans - but no purples. Now that I think about it, the larger bead that I made (and got pretty purples) was rolled several times - so your suggestion makes sense. Will try it today.