LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2005-11-17, 5:23pm

Default Silver Core Lampwork Beads?

Can someone post a tut on this? Where do you get the cores?

If you have to make them, that puts me out! lol!

I found what was a video posted by Tink I believe, but it's been replaced with a new tut.

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High Quality Handcrafted Jewelry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-17, 10:15pm

Misty -

Hi - I believe your referring to the Silver Core video tutorial that I had posted on our website during the month of October and early November. I did take it down and replace it with one on Making and Anodizing Niobium Bead Caps. That is the one that is currently on the website. My plan is to do a new one every month or so and put a new one up. The old one needs to come down in order to make space on the server (Video files are HUGE!) I do have the Silver Core tutorial available on our website as a DVD in high resolution/full screen. Take a look at http://www.dawnandevan.com/gallery4.htm. The current tutorial is due to be replaced this weekend with a new tutorial. (Time permitting)

If you have any questions please feel free to drop me an email.

Thanks -

Evan

email: evan@dawnandevan.com

web: www.dawnandevan.com
Old 2005-11-17, 10:20pm

Ok I will consider that...

But as far as my other question... Do you have to make the silver core part? Or can you buy them?

Silver Mist Studios

High Quality Handcrafted Jewelry

Old 2005-11-17, 11:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Mist Studios
Ok I will consider that...

But as far as my other question... Do you have to make the silver core part? Or can you buy them?
Misty -

Hi. Yes you make the silver core component. It is made from a piece of silver tubing cut to fit the bead you are making. In order to get it to fit the bead correctly each one must be custom cut to fit it's bead.

The process is really fairly simple, the most precise step is cutting the tubing to length and making sure that the tubing 'just' fits into the opening in the bead.

Hope that helps -

Evan
Old 2005-12-02, 8:41am

I have Evans DVD on making silver cores. It's very good ! Ellen

Old 2005-12-02, 2:51pm
Entropy increasing....

There used to be a tool advertised in bead magazines for doing this. It looked like it was made from a door hinge. If anyone knows where that went, I would like to know.

You can buy SS tubing from TSI in Seattle. They should have a web site - Yep here it is

http://www.tsijeweltools.com/merchan...?id=174&step=2

My husband tells me that there are tools called "flaring tools" that are made for doing this on the end of tubes. Mechanics use them. Something easier than actually taking a hammer to a bead would be nice.
Old 2005-12-02, 4:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
There used to be a tool advertised in bead magazines for doing this. It looked like it was made from a door hinge. If anyone knows where that went, I would like to know.

You can buy SS tubing from TSI in Seattle. They should have a web site - Yep here it is

http://www.tsijeweltools.com/merchan...?id=174&step=2

My husband tells me that there are tools called "flaring tools" that are made for doing this on the end of tubes. Mechanics use them. Something easier than actually taking a hammer to a bead would be nice.
Kevan -

The company that made the tool you mention has long stopped production of that tool. It also had the distinct disadvantage that it was only able to insert a 1/8" tube as a core. It could not produce other sizes (The bead tutorial that I produced uses a 1/2" silver tube as the core.) That tool also assumed specific length of tubing if you required a different length you would have need to cut down one of their longer tubes because the tubing was a non-standard diameter.

Flaring tools such as those used in plumbing could possible be used to start the flare for a bead on one side only, but could not complete the job of inserting the core.

Learning to cut the tube to length yourself and then to use the proper punches to flare and insert the core allows you to put a silver core into almost any bead any length. And the process really is quite easy once you see it done. I've spoken with a number of people that have attempted the process since they have watched the tutorial that I produced and all that I have spoken with reported success.

If you have any questions on the process please feel free to drop me a note anytime.

Thanks -

Evan

email:

web:
Old 2005-12-02, 6:34pm

Thanks for the info, Evan I make beads with 1/4 holes and have been interested in exploring the silver core thing.
Old 2005-12-02, 9:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita
Thanks for the info, Evan I make beads with 1/4 holes and have been interested in exploring the silver core thing.
Kita -

No problem, always happy to help. Take a look on our website for the tutorial at www.dawnandevan.com/gallery4.htm or peek at our current video tutorial at www.dawnandevan.com/tutorials.htm .

Evan

email:

web: