Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-09-24, 6:14pm
Flamewoman

Default Homefill System Information

I think I need to get a homefill system. After looking at Shawnette's Utube I am convinced that I need that, lol. Ok I have 2 Regalia's, so tell me
who sells a homefill for me? Can I use them to homefill a tank?
Any Help appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-09-24, 6:23pm
I fart diamonds

There are a couple of guys over on TMP (talkglass.com) who seem to have them pretty regularly. You can also use www.searchtempest.com to search all the Craigslist listings in areas nearby. Sometimes you can snag one fairly cheaply.

You'll also need to obtain an oxygen tank. Again, check Craigslist. I paid $125 total for a 125 and a K. You can use any concentrator that's at least 5lpm, as long as the oxygen purity is 90% or better.

Old 2013-09-24, 6:24pm

Not sure where in Cal you are but there is a guy in the LA area that sells the complete system for about $800 on CL.

Old 2013-09-24, 8:43pm

You will also need to build a high pressure (2500 psi+) hose to go from the unit to the tank. I dont believe anyone sells those. The homefill unit was designed to use much smaller tanks for medical use that plugged directly into the unit itself and was not intended to be used with the large tanks we typically use.
Old 2013-09-24, 8:57pm
I fart diamonds

Actually, you can buy the hose. It's called a transfill pigtail but it's less expensive to have it fabricated.

Old 2013-09-24, 9:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Actually, you can buy the hose. It's called a transfill pigtail but it's less expensive to have it fabricated.
who sells them?
Old 2013-09-24, 9:12pm
I fart diamonds

Welding shops, oxygen suppliers... Just google transfill pigtail. I got my short one from a medical supplier. The long one, I had fabricated.

Old 2013-09-24, 11:04pm

Here's a source:
http://www.deltaoxygensystems.com/

I can't link to a specific page (http://www.deltaoxygensystems.com/id125.html) probably will not work and you'll have to start at the main page. (I just tried it and it works now, but sometimes they change their pages around.)

You can call them to ask for a specific configuration. At one time, they had a page with Homefill adapters, but it doesn't seem to be linked right now.

While many people have built pigtails with off the shelf components, by ordering a pigtail, you have some confidence that it has components certified for oxygen systems and has been cleaned for oxygen service. (You an also search LE and TMP (talkglass) for instructions that bypass the bottle adapter and go directly into the Homefill.)

If you have a Homefill with tanks, you can buy a pigtail and use one of the quick disconnects from one of the bottles. Just be aware that stores sell teflon tape certified to be oil free for use in oxygen systems.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2013-09-24 at 11:09pm.
Old 2013-09-25, 6:55am
Flamewoman

Ok I have been trying to wrap my mind around this equiptment, I just don't get how it works, or what I would need & how to configure it, I have a mind that is good with shape, color, form, but not things like this. I just know that I press the button and it works kind of mind. help.
Let's start with what I have. I have (actually 2 ) a Regalia concentrator.
So I just hook some kind of hose to it and that to a tank and it fills it? How does it handle the pressure? Is there a machine I need to put the oxy into the tank with pressure? Sorry I am so dense on this, some please explain like you are talking to a 5 year old how this works, and what I need to do this. Thanks.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-09-25, 7:15am

This thread came up a while back, has some good info.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...light=homefill
Old 2013-09-25, 9:17am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Ok I have been trying to wrap my mind around this equiptment, I just don't get how it works, or what I would need & how to configure it, I have a mind that is good with shape, color, form, but not things like this. I just know that I press the button and it works kind of mind. help.
Let's start with what I have. I have (actually 2 ) a Regalia concentrator.
So I just hook some kind of hose to it and that to a tank and it fills it? How does it handle the pressure? Is there a machine I need to put the oxy into the tank with pressure? Sorry I am so dense on this, some please explain like you are talking to a 5 year old how this works, and what I need to do this. Thanks.
The Homefill is a high pressure oxygen compressor. It takes the oxygen from your oxy con (clear tubing connection) and compresses it into an oxygen tank (high pressure transfill hose). Did you look at my video? It shows all of the connections. You're just over-thinking it.

Taking into consideration what you already have (Regalia), you would need to purchase a Homefill compressor unit, an oxygen tank (or 2 or 3) and a whip/pigtail. You can fabricate the whip yourself.

Easy Peasy!

Old 2013-09-25, 12:44pm
I fart diamonds

Here is how you use a Homefill with a non-Homefill concentrator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ESr25J0_I

Old 2013-09-25, 12:56pm

Here is a link that explains the System as it is used for Medical use. It is a good place to start understanding how the system works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OavLAu9zeqI

Old 2013-09-25, 4:35pm
Flamewoman

Thanks you guys, I am studying this information. I will be on the look out for a homfill machine, I think that will be the hardest thing to come up with.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-09-25, 4:45pm
I fart diamonds

Not really. Complete system for $750 in L.A. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...064248447.html

Looks like this guy has them regularly.

Old 2013-09-25, 4:57pm

Quote:
Not really. Complete system for $750 in L.A. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...064248447.html

Looks like this guy has them regularly.
Thats the guy I referenced earlier in the thread, OP never said what part of Cal. I spoke to him once, seams nice and says he always has a few on hand.

Old 2013-10-02, 1:31pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
There are a couple of guys over on TMP (talkglass.com) who seem to have them pretty regularly. You can also use www.searchtempest.com to search all the Craigslist listings in areas nearby. Sometimes you can snag one fairly cheaply.

You'll also need to obtain an oxygen tank. Again, check Craigslist. I paid $125 total for a 125 and a K. You can use any concentrator that's at least 5lpm, as long as the oxygen purity is 90% or better.
How long does it take to fill a K tank? I haven't turned a torch on for about two years now because oxygen isn't available any more, so I've been trying to find a solution. Something like this looks like it may work for me.

Old 2013-10-02, 7:33pm
Flamewoman

I have not gotten a tank in over 10 years now, what size is best to get?
And yes, I want to know how long to fill one too.
Can you like fill them overnight? Is it something you have to monitor,
or do they just fill up and stop?

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-10-02, 7:42pm
I fart diamonds

It takes a couple of days to fill a K to 2000psi. The trick is to use multiple tanks on a manifold and fill them to 1000. The first 1000 fills much faster and you put a lot less stress on the machine. (2 tanks at 1000 is the same as a 1 tank at 2000.)

You can fill them overnight without babysitting and it will automatically stop at 2000psi, but again, it's been recommended to only fill to 1000-1500psi.

Old 2013-10-02, 8:04pm

Quote:
It takes a couple of days to fill a K to 2000psi. The trick is to use multiple tanks on a manifold and fill them to 1000. The first 1000 fills much faster and you put a lot less stress on the machine. (2 tanks at 1000 is the same as a 1 tank at 2000.)

You can fill them overnight without babysitting and it will automatically stop at 2000psi, but again, it's been recommended to only fill to 1000-1500psi.
I agree, this is what I do, two "T" tanks connected together...

Old 2013-10-03, 12:06pm

Shawnette,
I have to wonder where that thinking about it not being good for the machine to fill to 2000lbs. I mean i have 2 of the Homefills and i usually stop at about 1800 because it slows down so much but i dont think its really bad for the machine because those are built to fill to 2000 everytime they are used. I have had mine open and done maintainence on it and just looking at the workings gives me the impression that its not hurting it at all.
It seems to be doing exactly the same thing at 2000 that its doing at 1000. If you ever open it up and see the small size of the last compressor cylinder you will realize that it is only putting in like one cubic inch of oxygen with each stroke. And it moves really slow compared to other compressors. It looks to me like it would be simple if it ever needs parts installed.
What seems to go wrong on mine the most is it develops tiny leaks that need to be checked and fixed alot. Anyway i just wanted to put in my thoughts about the filling to 2000 lbs thing.
Old 2013-10-03, 1:18pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
Shawnette,
I have to wonder where that thinking about it not being good for the machine to fill to 2000lbs. I mean i have 2 of the Homefills and i usually stop at about 1800 because it slows down so much but i dont think its really bad for the machine because those are built to fill to 2000 everytime they are used. I have had mine open and done maintainence on it and just looking at the workings gives me the impression that its not hurting it at all.
It seems to be doing exactly the same thing at 2000 that its doing at 1000. If you ever open it up and see the small size of the last compressor cylinder you will realize that it is only putting in like one cubic inch of oxygen with each stroke. And it moves really slow compared to other compressors. It looks to me like it would be simple if it ever needs parts installed.
What seems to go wrong on mine the most is it develops tiny leaks that need to be checked and fixed alot. Anyway i just wanted to put in my thoughts about the filling to 2000 lbs thing.
I never said it was bad to fill to 2000. What I said was, the consensus of filling to just 1000 puts less stress and would prolong the life. These machines were built to go to 2000 and stop but here's my thought:

Homefills are built to fill to 2000psi on much smaller bottles, therefore, filling to 2000psi on large tanks is definitely putting more stress and wear and tear on them. There has to be a reason the fill time to 1000 goes much faster than the fill time from 1000-2000.

It's like any machine that's built for a task. If you run it to the max every time you use it, the lifespan is going to be shorter than if you don't.

Again, this theory about the Homefill hasn't been proven but I don't feel like I need to try, just based off my experience with other machinery.

Old 2013-10-04, 2:32pm

Well i have to agree that it will probably make the machine last a bit longer. Anyway, all i know is i have not been to my Airgas dealer in about a year now and i absolutly LOVE IT!!!
Those machines have made my life much simpler and way less expensive. The guys at Airgass couldnt believe i was filling my own tanks... they didnt think it was possible and thought for sure i would blow myself up...hahaha
Khan
Old 2013-10-05, 5:35am

just don't tell airgas that you are filling their tanks....they'll revoke your lease. ask me how i know.

although it was worth it in retrospect, once airgas raised (raised, try doubled) their prices for any small time custy to tell them to take this T tank and put it up where the grass grows greener.
Old 2013-10-07, 9:37am

They didnt revoke my lease and the guy knows what im doing. But im sure its up to them what they do. The guy i work with i took some pendents so he could pic one out for his wife at christmas. And he likes me anyway.
Khan
Old 2013-10-10, 8:33am

Giving glass for favours is a good idea. I love my home fill even though it has been giving me trouble lately it did run trouble free for almost two years. and has saved me hundreds of dollars.

Old 2013-10-10, 9:16am

curious how often you can it, Deb and how many hours on it when it died?
Old 2013-10-11, 3:52pm

I torch at least five days a week and I keep the home fill running while I am working and it takes all night to replenished what I used the day before. So .... lots of hours, can't do the math it makes my head hurt but I think it has the hour on the front of it so I will check next time I am out there.