Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2010-01-22, 4:12pm
boro color bender

VERY nice Nita!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-01-22, 7:34pm
Superkitty

Brent, your pics gave me a 'light bulb' moment. I'll be trying this tomorrow! Thanks!
Old 2010-01-24, 2:35am
boro color bender

Hope you'll share the fruits of your labor with us....

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-01-24, 10:17am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
A buddy snapped a few shots of me making a heart... not the right times... or not the shots I would include in a tutorial, but maybe they will help just the same.

Quote:
Step one, get yourself a ball of glass one the end of a punty. The design is up to you.

Next, squish it flat like a lollipop... different thickness will yield different hearts.

This is the super secret step I've never revealed before... take a pair of $1 scissors from the office supply store (plastic handles, stainless blades). Heat up the gather again and cut it from top to bottom of the pancake.

Now you put it back in the fire and shape... This is easier shown than explained, so hopefully I can get some pics...

When you have the lobes the shape you want, hang the whole thing upside down and turn in the flame. Direct most of the heat towards the bottom and let droop. The top lobes will fall together and the bottom will stretch out.

Once you have the general shape you want, you just have to put on a loop. Normally one lobe is higher and that's the one I put the loop on.

For the loop, I put about a half inch of rod on the spot I want the hoop to be on. Then I heat the glass and flip with pliers into a loop. Again, this would be easier to show than to tell.

Melt in the backside of the loop and reheat to shape as desired.

Now, punty up with a cold weld to the loop.

Pull off and shape the bottom of the heart, hold loop with pliers or tweezers and snap off cold welded punty. Fire polish the punty mark and behold the beauty you just made...
Resurrection!

Hope you don't mind, Brent, I brought the pictures and step description together here in this single post. For those of you checking this out for the first time, the photos pretty much pick up the description at "Step 3".

I really need to make more of these...I think I will TODAY! I sure love this method...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-24, 2:28pm
Boro Bum

very cool thanks you I don't think I ever went throw all the pages lol didn't know it was all here

Thanks again
Steve
Old 2010-01-24, 5:06pm
boro color bender

De, feel free to organize me any time...

i'm scattered... I NEED help.

Old 2010-01-24, 5:30pm
Cat Winx

Quote:
De, feel free to organize me any time...

i'm scattered... I NEED help.
Brent.. any chance we could get her to give classes???
I, too, could use a LOT of help in the organizing department!

Rachel the firekat

Old 2010-01-24, 6:09pm
Life is good

WOW!!! I just found your website. I am amazed at your work. Thanks for sharing this with us
Old 2010-01-25, 9:59am
Superkitty

Quote:
Hope you'll share the fruits of your labor with us....
Here ya go! I took some quick pics. I think I'm on the right track. I need to work on shaping and the temporary connection (cold___ ?), but I have the general idea. Thank you so much for your help Brent! You rock!

Old 2010-01-26, 1:01pm
I speak Murrini!

Here's one for ya...with a tiny Monkey holding on! I so LOVE this tutorial/method. Thanks again so much, Brent, for sharing!

De

Old 2010-01-26, 3:46pm
Senior Moment

De that is so cute!

Old 2010-01-27, 11:34am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelovins View Post
...Also, I wanted to share my deepest condolences for your son....Dave
Hey Dave!

Nice work on the hearts! Can you please PM me regarding this comment on Mr. Smiley's son? I'm skeered to PM Brent directly and ask...he's had so much to deal with this last year or so - and if it's serious, I don't want to bombard him! Whatever it is, I hope everyone is going to be OK!

I searched recent posting by Brent but can't seem to find out what's happened!

Thx,
De

Old 2010-01-27, 12:59pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks for cluing me in, Dave. I see that the link on Brent's page is actually regarding the passing of Kendra's son, Jason. It was a horrible blow to Kendra, her family, and all us here at LE (Kendra's "extended" family). I was worried that something had happened to Ian; the loss of a child is almost too much for any parent or family to bear!

I pray that Kendra and family are slowly recovering, and Brent's efforts are a thoughtful and kind tribute to a sweet kid that was here on earth for such a short time. I know he was blessed, though, to have Kendra as his Mommy!

De

Old 2010-01-27, 2:12pm
I speak Murrini!

No worries, hun. Your HEART is in the right place~

Old 2010-01-31, 12:28pm
boro color bender

You two ladies are rockin it!

Old 2010-04-26, 4:02pm
boro color bender

Nice...

any time Dave!

Old 2010-04-30, 8:07am
Somebody's watching me!

these are my first two attempts. I've noticed when i do a tutorial, it's good for me to make a couple or three. then stop and don't attempt it again for a day or two. my subconscious seems to work some techniques out for me. Like for my next hearts. the way i gut them will be different and they should be puffy and have a split all the way to the bottom.

cant wait to try again but first it's time to grout the kitchen floor! (brick tile, shoot me)
Attached Images

Old 2010-04-30, 8:10am
Somebody's watching me!

another thought, i wonder if there is some sort of psychological reasoning behind a swoop to the left and a swoop to the right.

i dont think it counts for me bc i pick the "front" of the piece before i detach from the base rod or before i make a loop on a pendant. this is probably a bathroom topic, but oh well. thanks brent you rock more than KISS

Old 2010-05-05, 8:49am
Tending The Fire!

I've made a few hearts after finding your awesome tut! I don't have pics of some of my favs (they were snatched up too quickly by my glass happy friends! lol) Here are couple pics of hearts that stuck around long enough to be photographed They're all soft glass except the blue sparkly one. The blue one was made from a pile o' boro shorts that I picked up to play around with.

Thank you Mr. Smiley! You rock
Attached Images

My Facebook Page!

Old 2010-05-15, 6:28am

Thanks for this tutorial.

Old 2010-05-15, 1:45pm
boro color bender

You're very welcome... the DVD will be ready next month!

Old 2010-05-16, 11:12am
It's all about the color.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-05-26, 4:25pm

your the man brent! ive looked at your hearts so much trying to figure out how they are done. i actually thought of this method but thought there was no way they are this simple, but they are! ive made 6 or 7 hearts since i read this, and this is my favorite one. thanks brent!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 2010-05-27, 7:30am
boro color bender

NICE!!!!!!!!!! I am working on the DVD as i type this... it's coming out much better than even I had dreamed! I know it will help you guys out a LOT to see it in action. Keep the hearts coming!

Old 2010-06-10, 1:31pm
boro color bender

The DVD is ready for pre-orders folks... go get 'em! I worked my butt off and it's fantastic!

Old 2010-06-10, 2:20pm
It's all about the color.

Quote:
I worked my butt off and it's fantastic!
Your Butt or the DVD?

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2010-06-12, 11:32am
boro color bender

BOTH!

Old 2010-06-12, 11:33am
boro color bender

Old 2010-06-12, 11:52am
Life is good

Here's some of what I got out of volume 1. I can't wait to see what's in volume 2. Great job Brent. I hope to order mine soon.
Attached Images

Old 2010-06-13, 8:47pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Question, in your volume one, does it show how you get the swirly floating in air look? I know its boro, but there were so many beads posted here in soft glass, and people mostly talking about doing the heart (duh, heart tutorial, lol) Just wondering to people lay different layers of stripes, then heat and gravity does the rest?

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.