Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-07, 7:38am

Default Cleaning copper

I made a double link copper chain a while ago and would like to now use it in a project, is there a solution I can dip it in to clean it up.
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

e-mail:
Old 2013-02-07, 8:07am

I was just watching a you tube video on copper etching and one of the comments was to clean it with soy sauce. The guy said it works wonders and makes it shine right up. I have not tried it yet.

Old 2013-02-07, 8:13am
Lampworkaholic!

I use Pickle.

http://m.riogrande.com/Product/Rio-P.../5010233?Pos=1

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-02-07, 8:23am

Mmmm....soy sauce and pickle. Sounds good LOL!

Old 2013-02-07, 8:31am
Loving learning

I pickled a copper leaf I made, but it came out clean but dull, so now I have to shine it up. Or did I do something wrong?
Old 2013-02-07, 8:33am

That is what salt and vinegar does too. It cleans it but leaves it very dull.

Old 2013-02-07, 8:33am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Ketchup.
Just put a big glob on the chain, and leave it for a few
minutes.

I've also used lemon juice and a spoonful of salt in a pinch.
Both work great, and are easily disposed of afterwards.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2013-02-07, 8:46am
Loving learning

I decided to go try the little bitty circular brush in my dremel on the leaf to try polishing it, and can't find the tool to change the blades... grrrrr!!!
Old 2013-02-07, 9:02am
Valparaíso - Chile

Red wine vinegar, which you use in the kitchen.
Heat the copper piece and the vinegar acts faster.
You should leave the piece of copper in the vinegar.
Then polish it in the dremel
Ana María

@cristallo_perle
Old 2013-02-07, 9:05am

If you can tumble it, the dremel tool won't get between the links.

I have used CLR in the past and it does ok for a mat finish.

Old 2013-02-07, 9:16am
Loving learning

I was also wondering about trying the PH Down from the pool supply area that I used to clean my glass. Isn't that more or less "pickle"?
(found my little wrench & wire brushed my leaf, and I can see how it would be tough to use on a chain)
Old 2013-02-07, 9:24am

If you have firescale on the copper from soldering I would pickle it but if it is just oxidation and you are looking for a shiny surface I would tumble it with stainless steel shot and a little bit of dish detergent (or burninshing compound). I personally like the antiqued look you get with tumbling where the oxidation is left behind in the recessed areas that the stainless shot couldn't get to.

Tina

Old 2013-02-07, 9:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I was also wondering about trying the PH Down from the pool supply area that I used to clean my glass. Isn't that more or less "pickle"?
(found my little wrench & wire brushed my leaf, and I can see how it would be tough to use on a chain)
I believe it is similar (or the same thing?) to the 'sparex' pickle which is safer than diluted sulfuric acid. And yes, I personally would not want to try using a dremel attachment to clean a chain, I expect it would be fairly dangerous too since I know you are not supposed to polish chains on the big polishing wheels.

Old 2013-02-07, 9:37am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Citric acid powder mixed in a little water is the easiest thing I have ever used to clean copper.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2013-02-07, 9:38am

use a brass brush & liquid hand soap if the copper is matte when it comes out of the pickle.
Old 2013-02-07, 11:12am

Thanks for all the great info.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-02-07, 2:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Hi Elizabeth, That pickle looks interesting. Do you make up the 1.2 gallons all at once or make small batches as needed. Also once you made it up is it reusable or do you dump it after every use.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-02-07, 4:18pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Second ketchup!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-02-07, 4:52pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Brasso!!!!
Old 2013-02-07, 4:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonwoodStudio View Post
Second ketchup!
I am going to have to try ketchup.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-02-07, 5:25pm
Wonder-wench

ketchup (vinegar base with other flavor added), citric acid, lemon juice and vinegar (any kind, red, white, etc) all should work as they are all mild acids. and most people already have one or more of these items in their kitchens

metal pickle should also work, Ph down, Picklean or whatever other metal pickle you might have on hand.

all the liquid solutions will get into the cracks, crevices, etc.

Dremel = please, noooo. Visions of chain whipping around at eye/hair level!

tumbling works great, but as mentioned will not get into the crevices or inside diameter of links well.

Old 2013-02-07, 5:36pm

I wonder how coca cola would work.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-02-07, 5:42pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Hi Elizabeth, That pickle looks interesting. Do you make up the 1.2 gallons all at once or make small batches as needed. Also once you made it up is it reusable or do you dump it after every use.
Bob
I make about 1 quart at a time. It is reusable. It will turn blue from the copper. When it gets pretty saturated blue I neutralize with a little baking soda and toss.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-02-08, 5:17am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
I make about 1 quart at a time. It is reusable. It will turn blue from the copper. When it gets pretty saturated blue I neutralize with a little baking soda and toss.
Thank you, that helps.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-02-08, 6:48am
Feminist Killjoy

I find that the very best and easiest way to clean copper chain is by using a fine grade steel wool and a bit of liquid soap. Takes about 5 seconds to run it down the length of the chain a few times.
Old 2013-02-12, 10:29am

Thanks again everyone, I used Karen's ketchup Idea and it worked great.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-02-13, 10:22am
i'm not dave

i have a copper counter. mayo surprisingly does a great job, ditto pickle juice, diluted bar keepers friend (the usual cleaner), any citrus fruit juice, poss toothpaste-i know that cleans my silver. terry
Old 2013-02-15, 9:30pm

I use hydrochloric acid, also sold as muriatic acid. I bought a jug of it and diluted it in water, pour acid into water ONLY, do not pour water into acid. It cleans away everything, I use it to clean my copper anode when I'm electroplating. It is super caustic, so I glove up with nitrile gloves to use it.