Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-11, 9:28pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Default Help me PLEEEEEASE with the new Lauscha Purple!

I've been trying to work with the new Lauscha opaque purple and all I can get is blue. What am I doing wrong? I admit, the rod itself looks blue to me, so maybe it's my eyes. I dunno, but it's making me nuts.

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-07-11, 9:37pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
I've been trying to work with the new Lauscha opaque purple and all I can get is blue. What am I doing wrong? I admit, the rod itself looks blue to me, so maybe it's my eyes. I dunno, but it's making me nuts.
Are you sure it is purple?

Mine looks lavendar. In the heat it goes more translucent, but then goes opaque with even more heat.

I am moving this to the tips, techniques, and questions forum where hopefully there will be an answer!

Old 2005-07-11, 10:34pm

I bought some of this color
its looks purple, with a darker purple in the center of the rod.
It reminds me of the older batch that I have seen made in beads, it's very pretty and rich. I just bought mine and it was delivered last week, so its the newest batch from glassdaddy.com
I do have some from a time back that is lighter and more lavender not as purple, but I can't see at all where it would look blue, so maybe you weren't sent the right color?
Old 2005-07-11, 10:56pm

Maybe you could check in with Jill Symons (Glass Daddy's daughter). She always seems to know what's what with the Lauscha colors.
Old 2005-07-11, 11:48pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Here's a link to Jill's beads (I'm assuming) made with the new purple opaque. Does it look blue to anyone else?

This is the brand new Glass Daddy opaque purple that was just shipped.

Also Available in

Old 2005-07-12, 12:12am
Glass Addict!

It looks blue with just a hint of purple tint.
Diana

Old 2005-07-12, 3:11am

That looks like either Wedgewood or Hawaiian Purple that's looking blue in the pic. The new Lauscha Purple (Hawaiian Purple) is much bluer than any other opaque purple out there. To get bright purple-purple you have to layer it with a transparent - try Amethyst. The rods are really thick and very blue for a purple.

Old 2005-07-12, 3:22am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Feh. I don't like it. Rats. WHEN WILL SOMEONE MAKE A REAL PURPLE????

Also Available in

Old 2005-07-12, 4:46am
sunscreen me baby

Hey Tink, I agree it does look blue. That is why I didn't order it. But, I have noticed with glassdaddy purple if I turn up the Propane I get a redder shade of purple. Just a thought.

~

Old 2005-07-12, 6:36am
Administrator

Tink, I have some purple, I will send you some, of course remember I am a complete flake and need your address again since I never actually write anything down where I can find it.

Old 2005-07-12, 7:17am
MomOnAMission

I haven't tried it yet, Tink. It's an odd lot that lauscha made 2 to 3 yrs ago and we (USA) finally rec'd another shipment. And it's called Purple Opague...
here's another link http://www.jillsymons.com/Journal/062005/PURRRRRPL.jpg
Kim Neely has made some amazing beads w/it as well! Haven't had time to try mine, just rec'd last week. (Summer, kids, too busy)

See ya next month Tink!! (at Portia's)
Old 2005-07-13, 12:12am

Tink - try the new Ink Blue Violet Effetre Odd Lot. It's GORGEOUS. It's transparent, but put it over white or even EDP and watch your socks fall off.

Old 2005-07-13, 6:56am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseanne
I haven't tried it yet, Tink. It's an odd lot that lauscha made 2 to 3 yrs ago and we (USA) finally rec'd another shipment. And it's called Purple Opague...
here's another link http://www.jillsymons.com/Journal/062005/PURRRRRPL.jpg
Kim Neely has made some amazing beads w/it as well! Haven't had time to try mine, just rec'd last week. (Summer, kids, too busy)

See ya next month Tink!! (at Portia's)
But it's BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I made a vessel with it the other night, thinking maybe soaking in the kiln a while would help. Nope. It's as blue as blue can be. Have I mentioned how much I dislike blue?

Kandice, thanks for the tip, but I stand by my conviction that a true purple can be made that won't require layering or anything else.

Also Available in

Old 2005-07-13, 2:01pm

Have you used the Pastel Ink Blue? It's much less blue than the Lauscha. It's subtle, but I love it.

Someday I do hope they make a dark opaque vibrant purple. Hope, hope, hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
Kandice, thanks for the tip, but I stand by my conviction that a true purple can be made that won't require layering or anything else.