No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-14, 11:14am
sunscreen me baby

Default How many beads to a rod?

When it comes to pressed beads I only do one. I have never actually tried two but I'm not sure I see the benefit. Now for decorated spacers or matching rounds I to do two so they will be the same size. Just plain little spacers I will do 3.
Just curious what you do and why. Do tell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-07-14, 11:18am
koregon

I only do one pressed bead on a rod....and thats mostly what I make...
if I do make tiny spacers I can make four to six depending on my mood.

Dan makes three normally/encased twisty style.
if he twist the twisties before encasing he does two on a rod.
Dan started doing this to get his beads more uniform in size...so they matched better for pairs and so forth....it does help when making donut style beads.

pressed beads there is no way I could do two on a rod/I do to much decorating and would loose one of the beads.
and size wise you have to have the mass of glass down anyway...and they will match cuz they are pressed somewhat.

Last edited by Kaye; 2005-07-14 at 11:21am.
Old 2005-07-14, 11:40am
Satake Woman!

One. Cause I usually make honkin beads and there aint room for more.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-07-14, 12:00pm
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ
When it comes to pressed beads I only do one. I have never actually tried two but I'm not sure I see the benefit. Now for decorated spacers or matching rounds I to do two so they will be the same size. Just plain little spacers I will do 3.
Just curious what you do and why. Do tell

Focals/Pressed beads only one per rod.

Matched pairs decorated 2 at a time.

Spacers depending on size 3 to 6 per rod.

TTFN, Dawn

Old 2005-07-14, 1:34pm

At first I didn't know what you were talking about. Whenever I see 'rod' I think glass. Got it now, I only do one whatever kind of bead it is per mandrel.

Old 2005-07-14, 1:47pm
In search of her path....

soft glass spacers simple beads 2-4 to a rod, focals 1
Boro ill do 7-8 on a rod of simple bids
focals 3-5

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2005-07-14, 1:56pm
Piscean Fire Goddess

I do 1 pressed per mandrel
and 2 spacers per mandrel

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-07-14, 2:21pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

I usually only do one per mandrel. I do mostly pressed beads and focals, so I'm with Kaye, can only do one. I rarely do doumuts but can do two at a time with those. I let Greg do the spacers. He can do usually six to a mandrel and is alot better at them than me. I hate doing spacers!

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2005-07-14, 2:47pm
Boheme Flamework Designs

I only make one pressed bead per mandrel.

Spacers I usually make 4 to 6.

Deb Cline
Old 2005-07-14, 2:54pm
koregon

well they are tig rods...at least Dan got ours from the same place the mill gets theirs for welding. So its a rod first/we make it into a mandrel by using it for beadmaking, so I guess I call it how my husband does since he brings em home for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass
At first I didn't know what you were talking about. Whenever I see 'rod' I think glass. Got it now, I only do one whatever kind of bead it is per mandrel.

Old 2005-07-14, 3:04pm
sunscreen me baby

Yup, I think of them as welding rods. Sorry, I knew what they were before I knew about lampwork.

~

Old 2005-07-14, 4:10pm
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

It depends. Sometimes when I start work I forget to wait until the kiln is ramped up and then I'm stuck with a finished bead and a kiln that is only at like 500 degrees so regardless of what is on the mandrel I put on more stuff to keep me from getting bored.

How weird is that?

Usually one pressed bead or focal per rod

side by side for pairs

up to 10 on a rod for plain rounds depending upon my mood (it's a game). I make spacers when I'm 'burning off' the gas for the night and the game keeps it interesting.
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2005-07-14, 4:14pm
Administrator

I do 6-8 spacers per mandrel. Normally ust one bead if it is anything else though, sometimes 2

Old 2005-07-14, 6:10pm
one day at a time

Ack, how embarrassing to admit that I make little beads but I'm too chicken to make more than one on a mandrel! I still make spacers one at a time!

But with boro I plan to make 3-4 per mandrel because I really won't have to worry so much about the thermal shock issue. From what I remember about Doug Remschneider's Boro Bead Magic DVD, he makes 3 on a mandrel.
Old 2005-07-14, 7:46pm
Surrounded by Trouble

I bead per rod unless they are spacers if they are I can get 6-8.
Old 2005-07-14, 10:17pm
Slave Of The Flame

I'm used to working big, so even when I work small I work big. I do about 6-8 beads per mandrel of beads about this big.

Saves me a lot of time/mandrels but you have to have a lot of heat of course to keep them all warm.

Here's one in my hand so you can see size reference.

~
~
Old 2005-07-15, 7:01pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Well so Lisa doesn't feel singled out... I also only do one bead per mandrel... even spacers. But I haven't been at it more than a year either. I did try three spacers on a mandrel the other day, but they were all going different directions and I couldn't get them all round for anything... plus one of them cracked.

Do y'all round out each bead before you add the glass for the next bead?

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.