Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-07-10, 8:14pm

Default Where to start?

Hi everyone! Wow!!! You are all soooo incredibly talented. I can hardly believe my eyes! I'll probably be here most of the night, drooling over all the pics of beads.

My 16 year old daughter and I love to make jewelry using lampwork beads. We spend hours and hours on the internet looking at/for beads. As much as we enjoy looking for, and buying beads, what we really want to do is make our own.

I hope this board isn't just for experienced lampwork artists. We just need to know where to start. And if this has been posted before, please point me in the right direction. I've looked in the library and can't find any info on how to make lampwork beads. I'd hate to plunk down a bunch of money, only to find out a video or book isn't what we need. Is it possible for us to teach ourselves how to do this, using only a book or a video? We are both very motivated to learn this, to the point of obsessed. LOL!!! But I don't have piles of money lying around. Whatever we need to buy, we'll have to do it a little at a time.

Is there anyone out there who can help us, or at least point us in the right direction? Thank you so much in advance.

Tat
Old 2005-07-10, 8:18pm
Life in the slow lane

Hi Tat and welcome. This place is for everyone. I'm always learning from wonderful folks here and through the classes I take and teach.

I am self taught and only took a few classes after I had the hang of things. My favorite book is Corina's Passing the Flame. It's expensive but it's well worth the money. Another one that is great is by Cindy Jenkins and can be found almost anywhere. What kind of torch do you have or want to have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-07-10, 8:29pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Hi Tat. Welcome!!

I'm curious to know how you found Lampwork Etc.!! We are the newest lampworking forum around... and we are happy to help move you in the right direction.

Where do you live... maybe if you tell us a bit about yourself, some member of LE may live near you and you could hook up with them to see what lampworking is all about. I love meeting other members of this great group of people!! I've met three so far.. hoping to meet another next month!

About a year ago, I took a class at a local bead shop and I think the beginner kit (required for the class) was approx $100... it included the hothead, some glass and a few other essentials. I had to buy protective eyewear and the mapp gas.

Good Luck in your new venture!! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.. and become hopelessly addicted like the rest of us.

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2005-07-10, 9:41pm
boro color bender

Welcome... you have found the right place! Just browse and make yourself at home. Ask questions and we'll be more than happy to help (most of the time).

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-07-10, 9:43pm
boro color bender

I didn't see my first video or have any books until I was a few years into it. Just melt some glass... catch up on safety in the safety forum first and go for it! There's nothing that can replace experimentation... besides, if you don't have somebody telling you it can't be done that way... you may just do the impossible- LOL

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2005-07-10, 9:45pm
Administrator

I hope you don't mind, I thought this might get a better response in the questions section!

Old 2005-07-11, 6:00am

Thanks Corridawn. I didn't see this section and I'm sure you're right. This is a better place for my topic.

I don't have anything yet, except for an obsession for lampwork beads. So I'm starting out at the very beginning. I've seen pictures of how it's done, some of the tools, and pics of people's studios. That's about it. I'm determined to learn how to do this. I've taught myself how to do everything else I like to do, so this is just going to be one more thing.

I take it, if you use the proper safety procedures, it can't be any more dangerous than cooking, baking, or canning. So I guess that would be the first order of business.

I currently live in the Columbus Ohio area, but I'm from western Colorado. I hope to move back there in 3 to 5 years. I'm a 42 year old disabled stay-at-home Mom, but I have a home daycare and a little jewelry making business on the side. My husband and I have 10 kids between us. 5 are his, 4 are mine and 1 is ours. Our house has been known to be a hellish bedlam at times. Thankfully, some are grown and gone, others live with the other parent at times, and currently there are only 5 here for the summer. I say all that in the nicest possible way, of course. They range in age from 3 to 22, and we have 3 little grandkids. I'm a grandma at 42!!! YIKES!! We are both very casual, laidback people. I don't have the SN "Tat" for no reason. They are a reference to my numerous tattooes. I've got a few pics in photobucket and I'll post them later when I get a kid break. I need to get an avatar up, so maybe I'll see if one of my pics will work here. That being said, I hope I'm not judged for the color of my skin. LMAO!!!!! My tattooes don't make me an irresponsible, drug addicted, biker chick. Quite the contrary.

I've met many people in person, that I've met on the internet first. I even went to a Trading Spaces reunion, and finally met lots of people I'd been talking to for years, on the Trading Spaces bulletin board. It was great fun!!

I'm absolutely harmless unless provoked. Just kidding, but not really. I'm just your ordinary, everyday, Mom next door. NOT!!! See where this is going? I don't LOOK like I should fit in anywhere, but I fit in everywhere. There's nothing ordinary or average about me, but I'm the nicest person in the world. You'll just have to take my word for it, or wait and see. I love making internet friends and am absolutely dedicated to my friends and family. I look forward to getting to know all of you here and if anyone is in my area, and would like to hook up, please drop me a line.

I'm going to go read and learn, in between playing with kids, changing diapers, making food, doing laundry, and living my life.

Have a great day all!

Tat
Old 2005-07-11, 6:09am

Oops! Sadiesmom asked how I found this group. I did a google search on "how to make lampwork beads" and this is one that came up. I looked around a bit, and it looked great, so I joined.
Old 2005-07-11, 6:29am

Welcome Tat.
My first tip to you if you want one is to buy a book on lampworking. There are a few out there. They are worth every dollar. I took one bead class, basically on how to make a round bead. I could have learned it from the book though. Everything else I learned came from one of my books and practising over and over.

No bead is an ugly bead. They're all worth your time. They may not look like others you see on here but in time they will. And in time you will come up with your own look. Even though all lampwork bead look similar, they are all unique as well. Everyone adds their own little touch or color combination and eventually their own style.

So have fun!
Can't wait to see you post something.
It's always fun seeing how others minds work and what they create.

Shari

Old 2005-07-11, 6:57am
ManBearPig

Here are a couple books I recommend (although there are others out there):

Making Glass Beads by Cindy Jenkins - a good introduction, and covers all the basics

Passing the Flame by Corina Tettinger - introduction plus some more advanced techniques, and goes into color reactions, other effects, etc. But, it is pricey... going rate is about $75 I think

1000 Glass Beads by Valerie Van Arsdale Shrader - no instruction - just lots and lots of photos of beads. I have looked at it over 50 times, and I still look at it regularly for inspiration

One video I would highly suggest is Smircich Makes Beads by Jim Smircich. It doesn't really cover the basics, but once you have learned to make a round bead, there is a wealth of information to be learned from this video. Particularly heat control. One thing I have noticed with new lampworkers is that they want to get the glass too hot, then it gets out of control. This video shows you how to use heat to your advantage.

I'm not familiar with Columbus, but with a city that size I'm willing to bet there are several lampworkers around there. Ask around and find some of them. I have found that almost every lampworker I have ever met is more than willing to share what they know. Ask if you can come watch them. They would probably let you try your hand at making some beads yourself.

And, don't worry. I have never seen anyone sit down and make a perfect bead their first time. It takes practice like anything else.

Old 2005-07-12, 3:32am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Welcome, Tat! I'm kind of inky myself

Just want to mention that you have Glass Axis right there in Columbus. They offer a nice 3 hour beginner class for about $65 that should allow you to see what you think of the process.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2005-07-12, 3:33am

Thanks so much for the book & video info. I'm going to go book shopping as soon as I get a minute today. I appreciate the pushes in the right direction. It's definately made me less nervous about getting started.

Starlia ~ Sorry I was late in calling you. Things hadn't died down around here yet. I got your machine around 9pm and left my number. Give me a call if you get the chance.