Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-24, 6:17pm
Senior Moment

Default SwapTop Shaper/Grinder & grit size questions

Hi folks:

I'm considering picking up the above grinder from Sundance (it's on sale!) and have a few questions.

I'd like to flap lap some beads; this appears to be a decent choice. For those who have one, do I need to know anything about it that's not usually mentioned?

Also, for those who understand these things LOL it comes with a 100 grit drum. I assume I will need a finer grit drum to get a smooth, shiny finish, but how fine? The 600 grit inland sells for this grinder says it leaves a "fine frosted edge". Does that mean the entire lapped face would be frosted? If I buy the 325 grit drum would that be a better choice?

Thanx!
Alli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-10-25, 11:49am
Shelarious

Hi Alli, Is it the "All - in - Wonder"? http://www.sundanceglass.com/diamond...0680-10880.htm

The grit drum, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that to be for grinding glass - like in using stained glass.

To flap lap beads you use the flat lap side and the All in Wonder comes with four discs -
170 Grit Flat Lap
325 Grit Flat Lap
600 Grit Flat Lap
1200 Grit Flat Lap

I have used this item, and these four discs to success in flat lapping beads. It creates a mess. A giant mess, frankly, but it's still fun. Here's an example:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-10-25, 5:09pm
Senior Moment

Nice bead!

It's the SwapTop; they have it for $81 USD which puts in my price range. Comes with:
"Motor unit, base, reservoir top, reversible grid work surface, 1" 100 grit diamond shaping drum, BitSert with splash guard, allen wrench, sponges and instruction guide." so I assume I'll need a few more drums of increasingly finer grit. I just couldn't figure out if I should go up to the 600 grit as it says it leaves a frosted edge, and I want the lapped surfaces to be smooth and clear. Or should I go even finer as well? I couldn't find any info like that on a search here.

LOL and messes are my life. I have a 9 yr old boy.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-10-25, 6:06pm

It looks like a drum sander for working the edge of flat material.
The lap conversion kit with 4X 8" disks adds a bit to the price.

You can get an idea on the surface the 100 grit will leave with a assorted package of wet/dry sandpaper from your local auto parts store.
Walmart, and some hardware shops will also have them.
Put them on a flat surface you can get wet, and run a small piece of clear glass in a circular pattern. The water helps control dust, make the paper last longer, and improves the cutting action of the abrasive by carrying the material away.