Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-02-18, 8:02pm

I am enjoying starting to work with boro, but I think I am babying it too much. For those of you who started with softglass, did you work boro too cool when you first started working with it? On the other hand, I have noticed that I haven't burnt out any of the colors, well except for the GA Red Crayon which turned a little bit "livery" on me. Now, if we could get a DAP or Triple passion in softglass...wow!

Eric
Old 2006-02-19, 5:11am
Nah, not really...;)

Yes, I was 'babying it'!
My first couple of beads were wonky and not melted in, I think I was afraid of burning it or something, like it can't take this much heat
Brent said something like my torch 'should mean business' and it does now.

I have a Lynx w/ tanked O2 and am having good results for me, maybe it's beginner's luck, I don't know, but I am having FUN and am excited about boro for the first time. I haven't got a rod of soft glass on my table at all now

I went to Mountain Glass here in Asheville and looked at the color charts and picked out a bunch that I thought would work for me. I haven't touched the rubies yet, I have way too many other colors to get to know

So I've taken the experts advice and stuck w/ the AP's, caramels, lusters, I guess most of the 'reactive' colors and am loving it.
I work it HOT and am learning a lot. (Did you like that rhyme?) I can't wait to see what comes next

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-02-19, 5:54am
Nah, not really...;)

I almost forgot: I have been using Arrow Springs Dip-n-Go Sludge and am loving it w/ boro.

Old 2006-02-19, 12:27pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykj
PS Pictures Suzanne, pictures! Gotta see how lovely your work is!

I'll make some pictures ( I hope thursday) and list them here. I am getting myself a new camera for my dreaded 30th birthday ( I am getting old !!!!)

Old 2006-02-19, 12:36pm
Nah, not really...;)

30 OMG .......... now that is OLD...........just kidding, I am 40 so I feel no sympathy for you!

I'll be looking for those pictures!

Old 2006-02-19, 1:05pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

No sympathy here either-----I'm older than BOTH of you!!!!!
Since I'm about to plunge into the boro pool,(thanks to Brent's sample pack) I know I will need more than my minor, 2 oxycons, and propane. I was looking at the a Betta form ernerations Glass. Will that work with either the oxycons or my trusty 02 tank????? I'd like to keep the cost under $500. Give me some options guys. Help me spend money wisely......yeah right!!!!!

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2006-02-19, 1:06pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

oops, that's Generations Glass

Cherie
Sisters Beads
Old 2006-02-19, 3:55pm
boro color bender

If you are looking to use Propane, I'd suggest a Piranha. The Betta is really suited for natural gas. No sense wasting money on a Betta if you aren't running NG. The Piranha will do just fine on 2 concentrators...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-02-19, 6:07pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

Thanks for the quick answer. Off to look at the Piranha!!!!

Cherie
Sisters Beads
Old 2006-02-19, 8:33pm

OK, well today I stopped babying the boro. I was making a marble with the Lynx on about as high as it will go, and pulling off little bits of crap from the punty marks with my tweezers. All of a sudden there was this big white flare, and I thought "oh, must have burned off one of those stringers to fast." I went to pick off some more bits of the punty mark, and then I noticed that I had lost about 1/4 inch off one side of the tweezers. Dang! These were my favorite tweezers and I have had them for about 10 years. They worked great with softglass, but I guess they weren't up to the boro challenge.

Oh, and I actually used both the inner and outer ring of the Delta today. Woohoo!

Eric
Old 2006-02-20, 8:45pm
boro color bender

Sorry you flash cooked your favorite tweezers. That sucks. I am glad you got to crank your torch. It's a beautiful thing to sit behind a sceaming GTT and work boro. There's nothing quite like it. Have fun and watch those metal tools... these torches are way hot! I'd love to see some pics of what your making... I'll post some pics of my experimental stuff too.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-02-21, 4:47am
Gone Fishing!

Talking

OMG OMG OMG.... I got to crank up my new Barracuda for the first time yesterday..... I have worked with them lots of times before, but never MY OWN! Its was such a wonderful feeling. Then I got a cleaning and organizing bug and compleatly re did my studio set up. I guess I wanted everything to "seem" new. Anyway... its all nice and organized and clean and ready for me to crank that baby up and make some beautiful magic. I am so happy I its ugly....

After work today you will know where to find meeeeeeeeee
Old 2006-02-21, 4:51am
Nah, not really...;)

Have fun today Holly and Congratulations on the Cuda!

Old 2006-02-21, 7:13am
Nah, not really...;)

I made some boro lentils and a simple bracelet/earrings, here it is:

Oh poo, the colors ARE prettier in person

Old 2006-02-21, 7:52am
Gone Fishing!

wow..those are great lentils... what did you use? Did you try them with a press?
Old 2006-02-21, 7:54am
Gone Fishing!

Ok,...I have a question...

I have a jen ken bead annealer kiln with a bartlett controller.

If I want to anneal my boro and still work on some soft glass for about 3 hours, what program would I use...
Old 2006-02-21, 8:07am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Young
wow..those are great lentils... what did you use? Did you try them with a press?
Thank you!
I used a Cattwalk lentil press and DAP, Caramel and clear.

Old 2006-02-21, 9:06am
I needs me gold!

Hey Mr. Smiley!
I am fairly new to this forum, so forgive me if I ask something that has been discussed before. Making beads and small sculptures has become a family thing at our house. We started out with 2 hotheads and couldn't wait to upgrade. We finally got an oxygen tank and a propane tank and a mini CC. We were suprised that we used up the oxygen in about 4 hours. My son is convenced we are adjusting the flame too large. However, after reading what you had to say, I'm not so sure.
I don't know enough about boro to take advantage of it's qualities. I need something I can read to help me.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Mickey
Old 2006-02-21, 9:11am
Nah, not really...;)

I read this entire thread again and saw a bunch of info I didn't see or remember from the first time
But I didn't see at what temperature most people shut their kiln off? I read, in general, to ramp down around 85 degrees per hour until what temp?

Old 2006-02-21, 9:16am
Back from the Dark Side

Mickey, depending on the size of the o2 tank, it wouldn't surprise me. I have a K tank, and i would go through it in 2 weeks with regular torching. I would highly recommend and oxygen concentrator!

Carrie, it depends on your kiln. I just shut mine off after annealling, it ramps down on it's own. BTW...love the lentils!!

~
~
~
Steal List - 48, 50, 60, 32, and 29 for now
Old 2006-02-21, 9:20am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mteeters
Hey Mr. Smiley!
I am fairly new to this forum, so forgive me if I ask something that has been discussed before. Making beads and small sculptures has become a family thing at our house. We started out with 2 hotheads and couldn't wait to upgrade. We finally got an oxygen tank and a propane tank and a mini CC. We were suprised that we used up the oxygen in about 4 hours. My son is convenced we are adjusting the flame too large. However, after reading what you had to say, I'm not so sure.
I don't know enough about boro to take advantage of it's qualities. I need something I can read to help me.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Mickey
That's not unusual. You are using a lot more heat (and therefore more O2) with boro. I would look into a larger tank. I don't recommend concentrators for boro because a lot of them don't put out pure enough oxygen to get the desired results. But, you may be okay running 2 or 3 concentrators (or one of those big ones Brent sells).

Old 2006-02-21, 9:22am
I needs me gold!

Smile

Lynn,
Thanks for the info. A concentrator? Where can I learn about those? I have read everyone refering to a concentrator, but I need a technical explanation.

And, Carrie, I love Arrow Springs Dip and Go sludge! I find I can hand clean most beads; I don't have to get out the dremel tool!

How about boro suppliers? Who is the cheapest for small amounts?

Thanks,
Mickey
Old 2006-02-21, 9:26am
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Lynn,
Thanks for the info. A concentrator? Where can I learn about those? I have read everyone refering to a concentrator, but I need a technical explanation.

And, Carrie, I love Arrow Springs Dip and Go sludge! I find I can hand clean most beads; I don't have to get out the dremel tool!

How about boro suppliers? Who is the cheapest for small amounts?

Thanks,
Mickey
I purchased a used concentrator thru the garage sale here. I really hope someone (Brent, Chad?) can give a good technical description. I have an Air-sept, and i run it between 4 and 5 lpm (liters per minute) and that is all i know

As far as boro suppliers, http://www.auralens.net will let you order 1 rod of a color...20" long.

~
~
~
Old 2006-02-21, 9:32am

Hey Mr. Smiley,

I went ahead and posted pictures of my first boro stuff in the Tuesday 2/21 thread in the gallery. The picture is kind of dark, but yep they are really that ugly.

Eric
Old 2006-02-21, 9:32am
Nah, not really...;)

You should've posted here too!

Old 2006-02-21, 9:34am
Nah, not really...;)

Mountain Glass Arts: http://www.mountainglassarts.com/s.nl/sc.1/.f
Generations Glass: http://www.generationsglass.com/

I really like both of these for glass/supplies!

Old 2006-02-21, 9:34am
Back from the Dark Side

Eric, I posted in the S&T, but I thought you got some great color!

~
~
~
Old 2006-02-21, 9:49am
I needs me gold!

Thanks, Lynn and Carrie for your replies.
So does a concentrator work with an Oxygen tank? or instead of?
Mickey
Old 2006-02-21, 9:55am
Back from the Dark Side

Quote:
Thanks, Lynn and Carrie for your replies.
So does a concentrator work with an Oxygen tank? or instead of?
Mickey
It is an "instead of". They are a high cost initial investment, but well worth it. If you have a health equipment store, you may be able to pick up a used one relatively cheap.

~
~
~
Old 2006-02-21, 12:51pm
boro color bender

I have to appologize for not keeping up with this thread. Chad and everybody else helping out, YOU ROCK! i am so far in the weeds and frazzled, it may take some time for me to come back here. I'll be back and answer questions then... until then, have fun! PM me if you need anything!