Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-12, 12:30pm
..in withdrawal....

Probably overkill, but that's me ...... I attach a small square of sticky-back velcro to the inside of each compartment. Then I make a label out of flexible plastic sheet, glue the other half of the velcro onto the label, and stick it to the velcro in the compartment. Then if I rearrange the glass I can easily move the label to the new compartment. I'll try to take pics tonight and post.
Old 2010-01-12, 12:40pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Hey, thanks for the pic, what are the labels made of, meaning, purchased labels if so, which ones etc etc.How are they sticking to the shelves?

sorry for all the questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
gemsinbloom,

Here's a pic of how I label the cubbyholes....yes, there is dust - I clean as I choose a rod - usually under my armpit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-12, 12:41pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Okay I really like this, details and pics please when you have time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayG7 View Post
Probably overkill, but that's me ...... I attach a small square of sticky-back velcro to the inside of each compartment. Then I make a label out of flexible plastic sheet, glue the other half of the velcro onto the label, and stick it to the velcro in the compartment. Then if I rearrange the glass I can easily move the label to the new compartment. I'll try to take pics tonight and post.

Old 2010-01-12, 12:57pm
Salt Box Beads

I also clean and label all rods as they come in. I also leave at least one rod labeled in the slot at all times. If the rods are odd lots, I also add the date and where they were purchased.

I have to put tape over each slip of paper on each rod because it is so cold out there the labels were falling off...

I bought a large heavy duty metal utility shelf from Home Depot. I didn't want my glass crashing down into splinters! I had some wire left over from poultry/parrot breeding days and covered the sides with it using some nylon pull ties. I also had to wire the shelving unit to the horse trailer so it stays put when we move it.

Here is a pic. I have lots of the glass colors housed together because I ran out of PVC, but I will buy some more this spring and separate all of the colors into their own cubby's. As you can see on the top shelf, black, white, clear and Dark Ivory take up the most room...Wish I could fill up the whole thing with silver glass...
Lorraine
Attached Images

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-01-12 at 1:02pm.
Old 2010-01-12, 1:02pm
Boro Bum

umm i don't see a picture just to let you know lol

AcidFly
Old 2010-01-12, 1:04pm
Salt Box Beads

Oopsie..just added it..

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-01-12 at 4:58pm.
Old 2010-01-12, 1:53pm
Jacqueline Parkes

That looks great. What are the white containers? You mentioned PVC but they don't look like pvc to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
I also clean and label all rods as they come in. I also leave at least one rod labeled in the slot at all times. If the rods are odd lots, I also add the date and where they were purchased.

I have to put tape over each slip of paper on each rod because it is so cold out there the labels were falling off...

I bought a large heavy duty metal utility shelf from Home Depot. I didn't want my glass crashing down into splinters! I had some wire left over from poultry/parrot breeding days and covered the sides with it using some nylon pull ties. I also had to wire the shelving unit to the horse trailer so it stays put when we move it.

Here is a pic. I have lots of the glass colors housed together because I ran out of PVC, but I will buy some more this spring and separate all of the colors into their own cubby's. As you can see on the top shelf, black, white, clear and Dark Ivory take up the most room...Wish I could fill up the whole thing with silver glass...
Lorraine

Old 2010-01-12, 2:02pm

Kim, I am so jealous of your glass collection. I am new and slowly adding to my collection. Wonderful set up. I can only hope one day LOL thanks for sharing
Old 2010-01-12, 2:05pm
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayG7 View Post
Sounds genius to me!

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-12, 2:09pm
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsmom View Post
Kim, I am so jealous of your glass collection. I am new and slowly adding to my collection. Wonderful set up. I can only hope one day LOL thanks for sharing
Don't be jealous - it's a sickness - almost embarrassing! And it's overtaking our home. Now there's flat glass in the dining toom and I'm seriously struggling in a whole new way on how best to store THAT.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2010-01-12, 5:04pm
Salt Box Beads

The PVC sections in my shelving unit are made from rain downspouts I purchased at Home Depot. These were smooth and square but most of the time I can't get them because they are purchased by the builders.

They also have a squoval shape with ridges but I prefer to get the smooth ones when they have them.

I am hoping this spring I will be able to snag some more before the builders/contractors get them all!!

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-01-12 at 5:07pm.
Old 2010-01-12, 5:41pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Are you in Canada too? I think I just saw those at Home Depot this week!

They are made of metal, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
The PVC sections in my shelving unit are made from rain downspouts I purchased at Home Depot. These were smooth and square but most of the time I can't get them because they are purchased by the builders.

They also have a squoval shape with ridges but I prefer to get the smooth ones when they have them.

I am hoping this spring I will be able to snag some more before the builders/contractors get them all!!

Lorraine

Old 2010-01-12, 7:43pm

Default Glass storage

I too use the fence rails, I like the square shape rather than round pvc. I can only find a smaller version that what is described, but I just use two if I have more glass than it can hold, like for white etc. I struggled with the labeling thing. What I came up with was a board in between my rows so that I could use the p-touch. I had not thought of the velcro idea- I think that is the way to go since I have to expand with every order. There is no way to predict what color I will add next to leave that space. I also struggled with how to organize - I ended up numerically by brand. All pastels together all transparents together. I did have all it all color together regardless of number or type. How do you organize?

Old 2010-01-12, 9:39pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Are you in Canada too? I think I just saw those at Home Depot this week!

They are made of metal, correct?
No I'am in Northern california and they are PVC or some sort of heavy plastic material.
Lorraine
Old 2010-01-13, 12:15am
Megan's personal Sherpa

Labeling rods...........now where's the fun in that!?!?!?!? Hmmmmmm.......maybe it would keep me from trying to apply boro to soft glass beads........or vise versa!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-01-13, 10:56am
Salt Box Beads

Well, it is a soothing and inspiring part of buying the glass for me. Kinda of like a collector of priceless items. I clean the glass checking it for anything, and may wrap the bundle in tissue paper if I want it to remain unscratched etc.

My head fills with ideas for beads as I am writing the labels. I put a small piece of tape over the label and attach it to the very end of the rod.

I have a sketch notebook and pencil handy and if any really neat ideas come to me I draw them out and make notes, all the while listening to classical or soft celtic music. So relaxing and yes! it is FUN for me.

and sometimes sipping on a Caramel macchiatto fresh from my espresso machine with a nice dollop of freshly whipped cream with just a light dusting of cinnamon. learning how to enjoy all of the little nuances of life is an artform in itself.

Cleaning bead holes now that is a whole nother story!!!

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-01-13 at 2:06pm.
Old 2010-01-13, 11:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geierwally View Post
Hi Nancy
hi Squid...gee..label the rods..who would have thought of that!! lol
Brilliant!
I think I need to start labeling them too...I am getting them all mixed up....and don't like that...
It's a necessity when you're color-blind like I am.

Greg

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-01-13, 11:36am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I use the 2" square PVC downspout material also. I cut it into 15" sections for the longer 20" boro rods. These are glued into a retangle and stored in a Home Depot metal utility shelving unit. And when glass is delivered or comes into the house I use return address labels to label each rod before it is pigeon holed. Each hole holds about 3 lbs and it's easy to move if needed. I also have any number of smaller quantity rods/colors and rather than use a whole bin for each I cut some plastic that is normally sold as light fixture shields into 15" by 2.75" (whatever the diagonal distance is minus a little so it will slide in) and make 2 bins out of one. These dividers are then easy to remove later.
PJ

Last edited by cheng076; 2010-01-13 at 11:39am.
Old 2010-01-13, 12:11pm

I went to our local fence builder and they were so nice and gave me any rails that were under 6 foot because they were just going to throw it away!
I need to make another trip.

Old 2010-01-13, 2:07pm
Salt Box Beads

Way to go Cabanlet!!!!
Old 2010-01-13, 2:19pm
N2Beadz

Don't forget to check out these threads for ideas... (some of the pics found in these threads just make you drool, drool, and then drool some more. LOL!!!)

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...=glass+storage

---------------------------------------

For sale...

Old 2010-01-13, 6:55pm
Alaska Boro

Default Rod Cabinet

This is a homemade cabinet using two inch PVC. Seems to work well.
Old 2010-01-15, 6:59am
Jamaican Me Crazy

all my glass fits in a single one quart glass mason jar.
Old 2010-01-16, 12:26pm
I'm listen-Oooh, sparkly!

I haven't got a lot of glass to play with yet, and have a limited amount of space to work with (18"x24" metal cart) and have some space to either side to work with, but has to be open for other projects. What I set up is 2" PVC DWV (drain pipe) cut to @ 10" (I like having mine a little shorter so that I can still reach shorter pieces easily), put a piece of cardboard/fiberboard/plywood in the bottom of a milk crate, put the PVC in on end so that it starts to look a little like a honeycomb and fills up the space, tip it onto it's side, and tap a dowel/scrap of wood/whatever to one top edge to make that the "bottom" so that it tips up just a little at the front. That way I can just tip the thing up and stick it somewhere it won't be in the way. If that makes no sense, I can try to get pictures later.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Ghandi
Old 2010-02-07, 3:44pm
..in withdrawal....

Sorry it took so long to get photos --- same idea as others for labeling except for the velcro attached to the inside of each section....

Old 2010-02-08, 2:44pm
Somewhat out there!

I like to label each rod with info typed on an address label and wrapped around the end. That way if the glass is out on my table I will know which color it is. I store mine in downspout inside a milk crate too. I haven't labeled each bin as of yet
Old 2010-02-08, 11:03pm

I'm another who labels each and every rod as it comes in ... I've learned the hard way that it is best for me to do this. To begin with I didn't and now I regret my lack of forsight, so I still have some original rods of glass I purchased that are still unlabeled.

I label with #, name if known (I prefer to go by the numbers) and more recently I've added where purchased from and batch (or purchase date)#.

I use the fence railing and have multiple colors in each section (wish I had more space to have one hole for one color). I currently have more glass than I know what to do with!

Sadie

Old 2010-02-09, 3:29pm
into the fire

oh man you guys are inspirational IF only I was half as organized !
Old 2010-02-09, 3:59pm
da General

Labeling every rod AND the date of purchase is critical especially when it comes to silver glass! I do that as soon as I receive the glass from the vendor now.

Our glass storage is metal flat files with 9 drawers that are 48" W x 36" D x 2" H each.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-02-09, 5:44pm
offically down under

I work in my garage and if my DH saw how much glass I have, he would have a coronary. I bought 2 of these from Ikea and they work great as they hid the amount and it stays pretty clean. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40107872 I have drawers for each color and then I have the glass rubber banded in the drawer.