Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-09-04, 9:05am

Default What to sit on....

As I am setting up a new workspace, I am curious as to what you use to sit on when working. An office chair, a stool, a regular chair?
Trying to figure out what would work best. Guess it is different for everyone, but looking for some comparison.
Old 2014-09-04, 9:11am

I've got a computer chair and a really amazing old task chair. I usually prefer the task chair. If my back starts hurting in one, I switch to the other for some relief.
Old 2014-09-04, 9:15am

Can you help me out here, non-native speaker of the English language. What is the difference between an office chair and a task chair?
Old 2014-09-04, 9:37am

As I understand it - an office chair is designed to be used for 8 hours a day where as a task chair is designed to be used for shorter periods of time. Personally, I find that task chairs are sometimes better on my back (but that could be just me).

PEACE ON EARTH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-04, 10:41am
flight risk

I have one of these and love it. They also have them with backrest.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ergonomic-...hrome/10778744

Whatever you get make sure you get one with wheels. The better to escape molten glass with, my dear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-09-05, 2:33pm

I use a office chair. The wheels have been quit helpful at times getting outta the way from shocky, spitting glass chunks lol
Old 2014-09-05, 3:31pm
Slogan Challenged...

Office chair on rollers for me too! with softer fabric, not any synthetic or slippery material. It gets way too hot. They are cheap enough here (from Goodwill) that I don't mind them getting banged up while working outside. They just have to be as comfortable as possible

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-09-05, 5:40pm
hyperT

I just use an old padded folding chair.
Old 2014-09-05, 5:51pm

Office rolling chair reupholstered with denim for less fire risk if I drop things.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2014-09-05, 6:02pm
Artistically Absorbed

I use a backless stool. I like that I can quickly pop off the back of it in a flying glass emergency. It is nice prop my feet up on the rungs on the legs too. It also reminds me to take breaks every hour or so, not the most comfortable, but not bad either.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-09-05, 8:14pm

I stand at the torch and have a stool to take breaks on. I would love to know if someone uses one of those "saddle" style stools.
Old 2014-09-06, 8:53am

Thanks for your replies. Have not decided yet. Think a stool on wheels might work for me. Or a really good office chair. I either like no back, or really good back support.
The wheels are a must, I think.
Old 2014-09-06, 7:00pm

I work for an ergonomic furniture company that sells office seating and i use their Saddle seat with a tall cylinder and foot ring. Don't be fooled by the lack of back on this think. I can sit in that seat for 8 hours and have no issues with my back.

www.humanscale.com go to products and services and then to seating and then look for the saddle and the pony. I use the saddle well ..because i have a fat A** lol

they are a bit expensive from buying on the website, but look at the top for the where to buy and use your zip code to see if there is a retailer near you.

Becky
Old 2014-09-06, 7:01pm

here is a photo
Attached Images

Old 2014-09-06, 7:38pm
Corgi Cult Member

Really comfy office chair on wheels. The wheels are important for when something hot breaks off the punty before it should. I also have a footstool under the workbench since I am short. It took many years to get the right combination, but now I am snug as a bug!

Old 2014-09-07, 5:10am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

I have a draftsman's chair which is on wheels & has a ring to put your feet on like the one that Becky posted a pic of, but I have taken the back off it.

Old 2014-09-07, 7:43am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
I have a draftsman's chair which is on wheels & has a ring to put your feet on like the one that Becky posted a pic of, but I have taken the back off it.
I too have a draftsman chair on wheels that I took the back off of. Oddly, it's more comfortable sitting on it backwards,
Old 2014-09-07, 10:55am

I use a barstool that is backless. Like others, it reminds me to take breaks. It has the footrest and is a swivel seat.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2014-09-07, 4:35pm
Shelarious

I have this chair with an old pillow on the seat for my bum:

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/20210894/

Old 2014-09-08, 6:10am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper View Post
I too have a draftsman chair on wheels that I took the back off of. Oddly, it's more comfortable sitting on it backwards,
I haven't tried mine the wrong way around, I'll give it a go .

Old 2014-09-08, 9:18am
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyNoe View Post
I work for an ergonomic furniture company that sells office seating and i use their Saddle seat with a tall cylinder and foot ring. Don't be fooled by the lack of back on this think. I can sit in that seat for 8 hours and have no issues with my back.

www.humanscale.com go to products and services and then to seating and then look for the saddle and the pony. I use the saddle well ..because i have a fat A** lol

they are a bit expensive from buying on the website, but look at the top for the where to buy and use your zip code to see if there is a retailer near you.

Becky
Love it! I think you should do a bulk buy...(half kidding, half serious...)
Old 2014-09-15, 3:16pm

I just replaced an old wooden stool with this cushioned stool from Target. It's very comfy on my bum!

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-09-15, 6:13pm
Katherine

@julieann1674 your workspace looks so clean and efficient!

Old 2014-09-15, 7:41pm
Avada Kedavra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
Ditto. I have an old draftsman's stool, no wheels on mine but the seat can be raised or lowered, it spins right around (baby) and is very padded and comfy. I picked it up from a thrift shop, best $40 ever spent.

Old 2014-09-16, 9:45am

I work standing... The last thing I'd want around hot glass and open flames is a chair on wheels - seems like a disaster waiting to happen. (but then, I don't like rolly office chairs when I'm not around fire either, so... )
Old 2014-09-16, 4:44pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I stand, but I work boro at arms length and it's still hot.
Old 2014-09-18, 12:03pm

Lovely, tidy workspace. Now show us where you actually torch glass.
Great idea to zip tie the fire extinguisher to the table leg. Mine's always wandering off into a corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieann1674 View Post
I just replaced an old wooden stool with this cushioned stool from Target. It's very comfy on my bum!