No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-12-20, 5:37pm
Living out Loud

Default chalcedony or multicolor

They have similarities. Which do you prefer and why? I forgot who manufactures chalcedony, can you tell me who it is? Thanks so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-20, 5:41pm
Meow.

I can answer that Chalcedony is made by Gaffer...but cannot answer as to a preference since I've not used 'Multicolor' - although I can say I could not possibly imagine loving any glass more then I LOVE chalcedony at the moment.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2009-12-20, 5:52pm
Living out Loud

A big thanks!!

Old 2009-12-20, 7:19pm

I like them both.
Chalcedony is more reds
Blue Chalcedony is more blues and purples
Mulicolor Dark is more purple

I like them all for different reasons. Chalcedony and Blue Chalcedony have that crunchy thing (the glass looks all broken up on the surface) and Multicolor does not do that for me. You can see in these bead Chalcedony in the middle and Multicolor dark on the ends.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-12-20, 7:23pm
Sheila Davis Designs

CIM also makes a Chalcedony,but it's nothing like the Gaffer,(unless I'm using wrong!).Multi is made by Reichenbach.

Old 2009-12-20, 8:41pm
Living out Loud

Lara, thanks for showing one of your wonderful beads.

Old 2009-12-20, 9:02pm
Dangerous Woman

I couldn't get Chalcedony to do anything for me. Many many people have had success with it, but I am not one. Haven't tried multicolor.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-12-20, 10:08pm
Lampworkaholic!

Multicolor is my drug of choice. It is by far the easiest to strike. Blue Chalcedony would be my second choice. The are all very pretty encased.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-12-20, 11:11pm
Will work for glass...

I have used them both. Chalcedony kicks butt on multicolor. I find that it produces a more saturated spectrum of color and more easily. I haven't taken any photos yet but I will try to get some up in this thread tomorrow.
Old 2009-12-21, 5:58am
Lampworkaholic!

Interesting how experiences (and torch chemistry) differ. I can't get much consistently out of Chalcedony, only pale silver blue if I encase it. I get a prettier range of blue from Blue Chalcedony, but I get the most saturated pinks. blues and purples from Dark Multicolor and the prettiest lilacs and aquas from original Multicolor 104.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2009-12-21 at 2:03pm.
Old 2009-12-21, 10:11am

In my experience Multicolor 104 needs no special striking, it just is what it is. You can get a little more variation in color if you thread on some clear or partially encase it. Chalcedony has a much wider range of color but is trickier to work with, more like Raku for me.
Old 2009-12-21, 12:01pm
Storm Queen

Multicolor bores me. It just turned a mint green with a little purple here and there. Chalcedony kicks butt. Multicolor Dark gives more saturated colors but I've only used it a couple of times in combination with Chalcedony.

Old 2009-12-21, 12:21pm
BeadsonCypress

Who makes the multi color? I love. love, love those colors,,,,anybody out there have a short or two they can spare? or frit? Are these glasses compatible with other brands of 104?

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator

Last edited by beadsoncypress; 2009-12-21 at 12:22pm. Reason: addition
Old 2009-12-21, 2:58pm

I find that Chalcedony has a greater range of color and also breaks into a sort of fractured pattern when cooled on brass.

Multi is darker but very pretty, and not so much variety of color.

Old 2009-12-21, 4:39pm

Hey Susan,
Thanks for the package!!
Chalcedony, blue chalcedony and multicolo dark are all 96 coe. There is a multicolor 104 as well, but for me the colors aren't as good.

Amy

Old 2009-12-21, 9:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadsoncypress View Post
Who makes the multi color?
Reichenbach

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-12-24, 4:35am
Puddy Cat Lover

I love them both, but I had much more fun with the multi-color (not the dark). Yes I got the light green first, but then after re-heating high in the flame and cooling again, it exploded with colors. This is a set of disc beads in my Etsy store.

J.
Attached Images

Old 2009-12-24, 6:17pm
one day at a time

All of them are gorgeous!

I have the frits but I haven't had time to try any yet.
Old 2009-12-31, 4:37pm

Wow, wonderful colors your getting, I will have to save up and get a little to try.
Sandra

face="Comic Sans MS">http://www.adornedintreasure.etsy.com
Old 2010-01-01, 9:20pm
Will work for glass...

I should say, I mentioned above my preference of Chalcedony...I am actually using Chalcedony Blue. But I still like it better than the Reichenbach multicolor. I am also using brass to cool the bead and then gently re-heating it in the flame to bring out the colors. In some cases, I actually use a bowl of ice with a kitchen towel over the top as a resting place for my brass tools. Then they are REALLY cold when I use the tools to marver and shape my beads. This temperature contrast is what gets the best color for me, whether I am using the Reichenbach or the Gaffer. Try it! It helps...I also recommend thoroughly reading the thread "Raku secrets revealed," I think that's the name of it. I got the idea for cooling my tools from in there.
Old 2010-01-01, 11:21pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

I prefer Chalcedony for focals - it does produce a wider color range, but for me personally it takes AGES to get the right colors and get rid of all brown spots.

Because I make mainly sets that I sell on Ebay, i do prefer Multicolor dark for these. Doing large sets with Chalcedony wouldn't be feasible for me simple because it would take me most probably a whole day to make a set.

Multicolor (dark as well as regular) on the other side strikes so fast and easy that I'm totally in love with it. No fuss, no trouble. The colors are super pretty, but limited to a certain range - I get mainly denim, cobalt, purple, sea foam, turquoise & plum. This is my newest set, made with Multicolor dark:

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-01-02, 8:47am
Life is change. Love it

Lovely Judith! I didn't like Multicolour much at all, but am tempted to try the dark.

Old 2010-01-02, 3:34pm
Astro Cat

I think it sort of depends on the intended purpose of use - I like the Multicolor104 because I'm not worrying about it's compatibility with the rest of the glass I use most of the time. I am still a beginner at figuring out how to consistently strike these colors but had good luck with them yesterday as surface decoration. I think if I were to pick only one, I'd like the Chalcedony, but I'd rather have them all LOL!! Attached are surface decorations on 2 beads: COE104 Multicolor on a basic purple smashed bicone and a black Gaffer glass turtle with Gaffer Chalcedony applied. I didn't try to work out all the browns, I was happy with what I got!
Attached Images

Old 2010-01-02, 5:07pm

Such pretty colors on all the beads.
Sandra

face="Comic Sans MS">http://www.adornedintreasure.etsy.com