Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-10-20, 11:07am
szglassy

Default Graphite Shell Mold..anyone use?

I'm thinking abput purchasing this mold from Weaver
http://cgi.ebay.com/Graphite-Glass-L...%3D3%26ps%3D63

Has anyone used this or any other one of their molds for non-beads projects before??

Does anyone have pics of what they did?

Are they easy to use??

I have a special request for something with shells.

I've never used one before and would like some input..

Thanx!!

Sue
Old 2009-10-20, 5:18pm
Harold Williams Cooney

that sell has some cool stuff . . . . .

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-20, 5:19pm

I think MaryBeth Callahan uses them.... but I've not seen her around in a while

Old 2009-10-20, 5:25pm

What are you trying to make? Beads? Pendants? Cabochons?

Like all of the Weaver molds, how you use it is up to you. You can fill it with powders or frit. You can press a small gather into the cavity, using only part of the shape. You can press a large gather into the cavity, using all of the shape. You can sculpt, reshape, and embellish the piece after pressing into the mold.

I sell a lot of the Weaver molds. I probably have this one in stock too .... somewhere

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-10-20, 5:26pm
szglassy

Do you use any of their molds....HWC???
[color="Purple"]
BTW....your work is UNBELIEVABLY INCREDIBLE!!!
Old 2009-10-20, 5:33pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I have that mold and love it.
Let me see if I can dig up some pics. These are all on beads but you could make off mandrel pendants using the same technique.

Old 2009-10-20, 5:39pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Just a note on use. I make my base shape first and let it get fairly cool. Then I estimate how big of a gather I need for the mold cavity. I place the gather on the base shape and then I get the gather screaming hot.

You really need to get it fairly soupy to get the best impression. Then I push it into the mold cavity. I usually push on the back of the base bead with a graphite paddle to make sure I get a good impression. That's why the base bead needs to be stiff enough so it doesn't deform at this point.

I make sure I give the entire bead a good soak in the torch to equalize the heat after I've used the mold.

Old 2009-10-21, 10:16am
Harold Williams Cooney

the above are not boro, correct?

no molds for me, some wire or optic stuff some times, but no shells or stars or anything like that. love to own them all, though. they look like handy things to have around.

Old 2009-10-21, 10:27am
szglassy

Thank you Mary Beth for posting those beautiful photos and your technique. Are they Boro?

To be more specific about my question .... I'm looking for something that I can mold shapes into that is not a bead or a pendant.
More clarity: Could you just mush some glass into the mold and pull out just a shell ( or what ever) that does not have the over blob of glass??

I'd like to attach them to a rod ( for decoration) .

Possible???

I know that I probably ( with practice) make them my self,but it could be an ongoing thing and would like to make things easy for myself.

Sue
Old 2009-10-21, 12:02pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by szglassy View Post
Thank you Mary Beth for posting those beautiful photos and your technique. Are they Boro?

To be more specific about my question .... I'm looking for something that I can mold shapes into that is not a bead or a pendant.
More clarity: Could you just mush some glass into the mold and pull out just a shell ( or what ever) that does not have the over blob of glass??

I'd like to attach them to a rod ( for decoration) .

Possible???

I know that I probably ( with practice) make them my self,but it could be an ongoing thing and would like to make things easy for myself.

Sue
Nope - not boro. As far as just molding the shape it is possible. I have experimented with it but I really haven't done a lot with it yet. You would need to get a screaming hot blob of glass on the end of your rod and press straight down. It takes practice to determine how much glass you need to use so that you don't have extra outside of the design. You'd then need to hold the molded object somehow - either with a tiny cold sealed punty or hot fingers and burn the rod off before you stick them in the kiln. I have several tiny shells that have been laying in the bottom of my kiln for a couple of years.

Also, I don't know how big you want to work but these shell designs are small - almost tiny. FWIW

Old 2009-10-21, 1:28pm
szglassy

Several tiny shell laying on the bottom of your kiln for years? I'm sure there are more goodies if you look! LOL!!

Thats the idea..I'm going to just order one anyway...small would be just fine
Old 2009-10-21, 2:09pm

I would say that all of these molds work better with soft glass. You *can* use them for boro, but you have to work VERY hot, and use some tool to press HARD on the glass to get it to pick up any detail. Boro is just soooooo stiff ...

MaryBeth, your work is beautiful!

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-10-21, 3:32pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
I
MaryBeth, your work is beautiful!

Malcolm
Thanks, Malcom

Old 2009-10-23, 8:39am
Normal is Boring!!

I have it and have made a few set of beads with it! I've played very little but here is a set using the mold.

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2009-10-23, 11:20am
Harold Williams Cooney

cool

Old 2009-10-24, 4:10pm
szglassy

Very cool! Soft glass????
Old 2009-10-26, 9:02am
Normal is Boring!!

yes soft glass- I think boro would not work well- the mold is small and boro would not flow into the cracks. Soft glass is hard enough to get into the cracks and crany spots!

~
~

Antique Brass Findings